For me, everything started at Lake State. I got such a well-rounded communication background
after spending four years as a student athlete at LSSU. I was able to work behind the scenes for our
hockey and basketball programs, while also being an active member on campus. I even had the
opportunity to practice journalism on a study abroad trip to Costa Rica with the Honors program.
After I graduated, I decided to dive a little deeper into the field by pursuing a Masterís degree
in Broadcast Journalism, specializing in Sports Reporting, at Boston University. I felt like I had developed
such a strong base at LSSU, and as a result, while studying and working in Boston, I was able to really
refine my skills and become more marketable.
I am so grateful for the experiences I gained in this entire process. What I learned as a Laker got
me into a top broadcast graduate program at Boston University. While in Boston I was able to cover a
variety of incredible events: from the 2012 presidential election, to the Red Sox World Series title at
Fenway Park, to the bombings at the Boston Marathon finish line.
I landed my first full time journalism job at ABC 6 News in Rochester, Minnesota as a sports
anchor and reporter. It requires an incredible amount of hard work and dedication, but it feels so
awesome to say that I truly love what I do. Itís been such a ride, but I will never forget where it all
College of Arts, Letters and Social Sciences
School of Social Sciences
The mission of the department of History at Lake Superior State University is to teach history to our undergraduates. Our program emphasizes the acquisition of historical knowledge, exploring various methods of inquiry, and issues of diversity. Our focus is on North America and Europe, but we also introduce our students to world history including courses and units on Asia, Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East. In addition, our courses include segments on various political, social, cultural, and intellectual themes. The program also introduces students to the aspects of gender and diversity as they relate to history. We include surveys of major historical debates and themes. The history program is also closely linked to our geography program with our majors and minors pursuing courses in regional, historical, economic, and cultural geography.
Outcomes for Students
- To be able to know, understand and communicate historical and geographical knowledge.
- To be able to recognize and use major historical themes.
- To be able to use methods of inquiry in historical and geographical research.
- To become aware of cultural bias.
- To contribute, through their understanding of the economic, social, political, and geographical factors in historical development, to the community.
Our primary goal
To contribute to their career preparation and worth as a citizen by introducing them to basic historical interpretations, constructs of diversity, and the social, political, and economic issues related to our pluralistic society
- The History program is structured to accomplish our student outcome goals by:
- Providing an understanding of historical development and the various interpretations of that development.
- Invite discussion and participation is discussions of the interpretations.
- Studying historical change in an intellectual environment that is supportive.
- Challenging each student to examine their assumptions and understandings of historical developments.
- Guiding students in conducting independent research and presenting their research to local and state historical audiences.
- Creating a forum for the students to present and discuss their research.
- Assessing outcomes to enable us to continue to develop our program and courses.
Sault Ste. Marie, MI
I love LSSU Dance Company. Being part of the Dance Company gave me an
opportunity to make new friends and be involved in campus and community
activities. We participate in such a wide variety of events that go way beyond
dancing. I personally enjoy programs that allow us to introduce dance to young
children. The smiles, hugs, and high-fives are priceless. There is something very
special about being part of a campus organization that is really focused on giving
back to the community while doing what we love.