|Atop Ashmun Hill|
The decision to construct Fort Brady III was made on August 26, 1852, granting land to the state of Michigan. The land consisted of the right of way through Fort Brady military reservation and 75,000 acres of land to build the Weitzel Lock and Canal. The canal was to be 100 feet wide and 12 feet deep and the lock 60 feet wide and 250 feet long, with a depth of 12 feet. The lock and canal would be defended by the National Guard and monitored by Fort Brady upon the hilltop.
Move of Fort Brady
Fort Brady was moved to Ashumn Hill in the late 1880s and early 1890s. The construction began in 1892 and lasted through the turn of the century.
Public Auction of Second Fort Brady
In 1893 a public auction was held for the Old Fort Brady Military Reservation. The sale would include sixty-two (62) building lots and the greater part of the reservation. The government wanted cash and would give the fort to the highest bidder. Before the auction started an Auction Sale sheet was handed out that contained a map of the sites for sale and a description sheet. Some of these buildings are still in use today.
Fort Brady in 1894
In 1894 Fort Mackinac was closed and Fort Brady became the only fort in Northern Michigan still in operation. The soldiers and supplies from Mackinac were diverted to Sault Ste. Marie.
Fort Brady in 1898
In 1898 2,000 troops were stationed at Fort Brady for military training before being sent to Cuba for the Spanish-American War.
More Construction in the 1930s
In the 1930s a barracks for WACS (Women's Army Corps) was constructed as well as a gym and ammunition bunkers south of the fort.
20,000 Troops Stationed at Fort Brady
During World War II 20,000 troops were stationed at Fort Brady. A tent city was built and temporary wooden structures were constructed to serve as various warehouses, shops and offices. A heavy security fence was placed around the fort and access was limited to one main gate.
World War II at Fort Brady
During World War II the fort was the main life of the Sault. Visit World War II History for more information.
650 W. Easterday Ave, Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
Phone: 1-906-632-6841 Fax: 1-906-635-2111
Content copyright © 2000. All rights reserved.
Direct comments or questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.