Home of the  

Navigation Menu:  LSSU/Chemistry Home     

Chemical Laboratories at LSSU

The School of Physical Sciences maintains an extensive set of instrumentation for advanced chemical analysis related to environmental monitoring, forensic analysis, and chemical characterization.

Current Degree Audits
Historical Degree Audits
Internship Application ID399
Chemistry Advisors
Course Substitution/Waiver Form
Change Major/Minor/Advisor Form
Application for Graduation
Contact Information

Current Degree Audits (Effective Fall 2012)

Degree/Minor ACS Certified Degree Audit
Chemistry, B.S. Yes download pdf
Biochemistry Pre-Professional, B.S. Yes download pdf
Forensic Chemistry, B.S. Yes download pdf
Environmental Chemistry, B.S. Yes download pdf
Chemistry Secondary Teaching, B.S. Yes download pdf
Chemistry Secondary Teaching, B.A. NA NA
Chemistry, A.S. NA download pdf
Chemical Technology, A.S. NA download pdf
Chemistry, Minor NA download pdf

Historical Degree Audits (Prior to 2012)

Degree Audits for our current programs (release date - use the audit which was in effect with the semester you entered the university or changed your major to this program (which ever is later)).   
** Download the blank weekly schedule to assist in planning your semester schedule

Bachelors Degrees:


Associate Degrees:


Internship Application ID399

The degree audit lists the required courses for each academic degree program.  On the audit the student will fill in the semester in which the specific course was completed, and the grade earned in that course.  The degree audit serves as both auditing tool and advising guide, bring it with you to your meetings with your academic advisor.  Degree audits change slightly over time as new regulations and requirements change, however you are entitled to complete the program as described on the audit in effect at the time you are admitted or when you change to a new program.  Most students will be ready to graduate in May, so on the second week in October of that year you must turn in a copy of your audit signed by your department chair and advisors, along with a declaration of candidacy form.  This will notify the Registrar of your intent to graduate, and it will trigger a preliminary degree audit (a letter to you notifying you of your remaining graduation requirements for the spring semester and/or of any deficiencies).

Chemistry Advisors

Academic Advisors are a great resource and should be utilized early and often in your academic career. Ultimately, it is your responsibility, not your advisors, to ensure that all courses have been taken so that you may graduate in a timely manner from LSSU. By working closely with your academic advisor, potential scheduling and graduation pitfalls can be kept to a minimum.

Prior to each semester registration, you will need to meet with your academic advisor. If you don’t know who this is, simply go to your My.LSSU account and under student information, your advisor will be listed. Prior to visiting your advisor, print a degree audit sheet for your current degree or the degree you might be interested in persuing. If you have taken classes at LSSU, or have transfer/AP credits on your transcript, fill these in on your degree audit.

Registration Dates:
1st week of November for the Spring Semester
Last week of March for Fall/Summer Semester
More information can be found at the LSSU Registrar homepage: http://www.lssu.edu/scheduling/

Registration Instructions

Registration for courses is performed by you, the student. Upon meeting with your advisor, you will need to do the following:

  1. Ensure that your "Web Advisor Hold" has been removed by your advisor after you have met with him/her. This hold is in place to ensure that you meet with your advisor prior to registration. This type of hold is different from other holds such as unpaid parking tickets, tuition holds, etc. If any of these other types of holds are placed on your account, go to the Fletcher Center and inquire about the hold. To register, no holds may be on your account.
  2. View the Tentative Course schedule in Anchor Access for the upcoming semester and lay out your proposed schedule. Download the blank weekly schedule to assist in planning your semester.
  3. On the day that you are allowed to register (i.e. 1st- Seniors and Athletes, 2nd Juniors, 3rd Sophomores, 4th Freshman, 5th New Students) log onto Anchor Access to register for your classes.  Do this ASAP so that you will ensure that the lab classes you might need do not fill up and restrict your scheduling options.
  4. If a course you want to register for will not allow you to do so (for reasons such as, insufficient course pre-requisites, times overlap, course enrollment is full, etc.), you may request an “Instructor Override”.  These overrides are only granted by the instructor scheduled to teach the class and are granted only in extreme cases.  Course pre-requisites are in place for very good reasons.  Do not expect an override to be granted because you have not planned your course sequence for your degree properly.  If an instructor is listed as TBA, you may make a request for an instructor override to the School Chair or College Dean.

Course Substitution/Waiver Form

From time to time, courses for a particular degree may need to be either substituted with an alternative course or waived from the degree audit. The University is required to keep detailed records of any variations from the approved degree audits. There is a special carbon copy form used to make such changes called a "Course Substitution/Waiver Form". These can only be obtained filled out by an academic advisor in your discipline, the Chair of your discipline, or the Dean that oversees your discipline. You may not simply fill out one of these forms yourself and turn it into the registrar. Once this form has been filled out and submitted you will receive a copy for your records. Keep this copy for future reference when you submit your application for graduation to the Registrar.

Change Major/Minor/Advisor Form

If you wish to change your degree program, major, associates, or minor, a form called the “Change Major/Minor/Advisor Form” can be used. This form can be obtained from the College secretary in room 236 of Crawford Hall or from the Registrar. Bring this form to an academic advisor in the new discipline you wish to study to have them sign the form. If they are willing to be your new academic advisor, they may place their name on the form. You can check what your current major, minor, and advisor is by going to your My.LSSU account under student information.

Application for Graduation

In the Semester before you plan to graduate, the Registrar will send notification that you must submit an “Application for Graduation.” This application includes a signed form indicating your intent to graduate in a particular semester, along with a signed audit sheet, signed by your academic advisor. This application is submitted to the Registrar in the Fletcher center, who will then issue a preliminary evaluation of your application. You will be notified if additional coursework is required to complete your degree. Do not wait until the semester of your graduation to submit this form. If you wait too long, you may need to take additional courses that you may not be expecting which could delay your graduation. Working closely with your academic advisor will hopefully minimize these issues.

Contact Information:
Lake Superior State University
650 W. Easterday Ave., Sault Ste. Marie, MI  49783
Phone:(906) 635-2267
Fax:(906) 635-2266 

Chemistry Dept. website comments

  Home |  Sitemap |  Contact LSSU |  Visit LSSU Today |  Directories |  News & Information
Directory comments or questions to mwerner@lssu.edu