Criminal Justice - Public Safety: Bachelor of Science
This emphasis provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to be employed as a public safety officer, which is a combination of law enforcement, fire fighter and emergency medicine. Students in this emphasis have the option to seek a career as a public safety officer or any of the included occupations of police officer, fire fighter, fire inspector, industrial safety officer, or EMT/Paramedic. This emphasis includes the necessary courses to allow students to attend the LSSU Skills Completion Academy which in combination allows students to be licensed by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES). Students who graduate from this program and successfully complete the State Licensing exam are qualified for direct placement in Michigan police agencies. Many out of state agencies also recognize the MCOLES academy training.
Major Requirements (68 credits)
- CJUS101 Intro. to Criminal Justice 3
- CJUS102 Police Process 3
- CJUS197 Physical Fitness for Public Safety* 2
- CJUS201 Firearms Training 1
- CJUS206 Law Enforcement/Loss Control Internship 3
- CJUS243 Investigation 3
- CJUS313 Crisis Intervention and Deviant Behavior** 3
- CJUS319 Substantive Criminal Law 3
- CJUS321 Ethical Issues in Public Safety 3
- CJUS401 Criminal Justice Senior Seminar 3
- FIRE401 Fire Science Senior Seminar 3
- CJUS402 CJUS Internship 3
- FIRE403 Fire Science Internship 3
- CJUS409 Procedural Criminal Law 3
- CJUS444 Criminalistics 4
- FIRE101 Introduction to Fire Science 3
- FIRE111 Hazardous Materials 3
- FIRE204 Fire Protection Hydraulics and Pumps 3
- FIRE206 Fire Protection Systems Equipment and Industrial Protection 3
- FIRE211 Tactics & Strategy 3
- FIRE219 Firefighter Essentials 3
- FIRE220 Fire Science Certification 4
- EMED189 Medical First Responder 3
Statistics: Choose one of the following:
- CJUS345 Statistics and Design for Public Safety 4
- MATH207 Principles of Statistical Methods 3
- PSYC210 Statistics 3
- SOCY302 Statistics for Social Science 4
Support Courses (17 Credits)
- POLI110 Intro. to American Government and Politics 4
- POLI120 Intro. to Legal Processes 3
- PSYC101 Introduction to Psychology 4
- PSYC259 Abnormal Psychology 3
- SOCY214 Criminology 3
**MCOLES students must take CJUS411 Police Operations (5) instead of CJUS313 (3).
FIRE197, FIRE219 and FIRE220 are required if firefighter certification is desired.
MCOLES Certification: Students complete CJUS197 (2 cr), CJUS409, CJUS411, CJUS444, and EMED189. These six courses are required by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards to be taken by students during their last year at LSSU. CJUS197 will be taken both semesters. In addition, students desiring MCOLES certification must also complete a summer Skills Completion program. See the MCOLES Director for details.
General Education: All LSSU bachelor's degree candidates must complete the LSSU general education core requirements, or have earned the MACRAO Stamp (Michigan Community College transfer students), or have completed the general education certification (Sault College transfer students), or have already earned a bachelor's degree (honors bachelor degree from a Canadian University).
A minimum of 124 credits (at the 100 level or higher) must be earned for graduation with a cumulative gpa of 2.00 or higher. A gpa of 2.00 or higher is also required in your Major, as well as in your General Education Core Requirements.