Teacher Education Program
How to Apply to the Teacher Education Program
|Candidates for full acceptance into the Teacher Education Program, which is required for permission to register in 300- and 400-level EDUC and EDSE courses, should review the application documents to become familiar with the prerequisites and requirements of the program. You must complete all admission requirements during the semester in which you apply. Admission status will not be sent until the MTTC scores are received and grades are finalized. Individuals must be fully accepted into the Teacher Education Program prior to enrolling in EDUC301 or higher. Program prerequisites require that you be admitted at least three semesters prior to graduation.
Applications for full acceptance may be submitted to the School of Education Office, CAS 101, prior to the 2nd Friday in December, April and August each year. Full acceptance into the Teacher Education Program becomes effective at the start of the following semester.
To be admitted to the Teacher Education Program, you must meet each of the following requirements by the end of the semester in which you are applying for admission:
- Declared major/minor(s)/concentration with the Registrar’s Office.
- Completed 45 or more semester hours of college level coursework.
- Earned an overall GPA of 2.70 or higher.
- Completed ENGL110, ENGL111, COMM101, and either MATH102 or MATH207 (or higher) with grade of C or better.
- Earned a minimum grade of C in each course in major(s), minor(s), and elementary planned program (if applicable).
- Earned a GPA of 2.70 or higher in major(s), minor(s), and elementary planned program (if applicable).
- Completed EDUC250 with a grade of B- or better.
- Passed the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics, or have met an alternative pass criteria
Application Materials (updated October, 2014)
Michigan Test for Teacher Certification
Passing scores on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification Professional Readiness Examination are required for acceptance into the Teacher Education Program.. Register online at Michigan Test for Teacher Certification. You must indicate you want your results to come to LSSU at the time you register for the test, otherwise you will be responsible to pay the fee to have a copy of your test results to be sent from the MTTC company directly to LSSU.
Refer to Frequently Asked MTTC Questions for more information.
(Photo: Spring 2013 Student Teachers celebrate a 70% job placement rate - in their own classrooms in the Fall 2013)