Argumentative essay grading guidelines
Each criterion is graded out of 20. Essay grade is the sum of points earned on individual criteria.
1. This essay demonstrates a clearly articulated thesis adapted to the depth of the subject matter and connected to the content or method of this course
2. The thesis articulated has been adequately defended using the author’s creativity ____________
3. The essay appropriately considers viewpoints other than the author’s when arguing on behalf of the thesis
4. The grammar, spelling, paragraph structure, organization, clarity, and content is of high quality
5. The essay contains a combination of quotations, paraphrasing, citations, etc. such that it is evident that the author understands the nuances of the problem considered and the relevant application of other philosophers’ ideas