Available Financial Aid for Guest Students
Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
Students meeting the criteria may be eligible for a full waiver of tuition while working on their program at LSSU. Beginning summer of 2010, the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver, previously administered by the Inter-Tribal Council of Michigan, will be administered by the Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR), as directed by the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver law, Public Act 174 of 1976. Students seeking the waiver must submit a certified application and supporting documentation to MDCR prior to receiving the waiver. MDCR will review the application and provide information concerning the waiver to LSSU. Students must request the waiver each semester prior to the "census date" and must have all required documentation on file.
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the MITW:
- 1/4 blood quantum (certified by Tribal Enrollment Dept.) and
- Member of a Federally recognized Tribe (certified by Tribal Enrollment Dept.) and
- Resident of Michigan for 12 consecutive months (certified by LSSU)
To apply for the use of the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) at LSSU;
- Complete the MITW application and submit it to your tribal education office.
- Be prepared to show proof of Michigan residency for 12 months prior to start of semester.
- File your request for MITW at LSSU each semester at www.lssu.edu/finaid/mitwrequest before the census date.
- Check your My.LSSU: Anchor Access account for updates and required documents regularly.
- Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application
- MITW Frequently Asked Questions
- MDCR - Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
- MDCR - Michigan Department of Civil Rights
- LSSU Request for MITW
- Alternative loans are available for the cost of tuition and books. If additional funds are needed for living expenses, Director approval is required.
- Visit our Alternative Loans page.
Registrar's Office Guest Information
- Guest Application (pdf)