Financial Aid Office
Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
Students meeting the criteria may be eligible for a full waiver of tuition while working on their program at LSSU. Beginning summer of 2010, the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver, previously administered by the Inter-Tribal Council of Michigan, will be administered by the Michigan Department of Civil Rights (MDCR), as directed by the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver law, Public Act 174 of 1976. Students seeking the waiver must submit a certified application and supporting documentation to MDCR prior to receiving the waiver. MDCR will review the application and provide information concerning the waiver to LSSU. Students must request the waiver each semester prior to the "census date" and must have all required documentation on file.
Students must meet the following criteria to be eligible for the MITW:
- 1/4 blood quantum (certified by Tribal Enrollment Dept.)
- Member of a Federally recognized Tribe (certified by Tribal Enrollment Dept.)
- Resident of Michigan for 12 consecutive months (certified by LSSU)
To apply for the use of the Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) at LSSU;
- Complete the MITW application and submit it to your Tribal Enrollment Office.
- Be prepared to submit proof of Michigan residency for 12 months prior to start of semester.
- Complete your LSSU request for MITW each semester before the census date (the last day to add/drop classes at a 100% refund).
- Check your My.LSSU: Anchor Access account regularly for updates and required documents.
Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver (MITW) Application
MITW Frequently Asked Questions
MDCR - Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver
MDCR - Michigan Department of Civil Rights
LSSU Request for MITW