Redefining the Classroom

Tuition Assistance for Michigan’s Adults and Laid off Workers

Opportunities are available for students through Michigan Works!  In August of 2007, the No Worker Left Behind program was implemented and offers tuition assistance at universities and community colleges for approved training programs.  The goal of the program is to help transition unemployed, laid off, or underemployed workers into high demand occupations such as those offered in criminal justice, engineering and nursing. It offers up to $10,000 free tuition for qualified persons.  

 Program Design:

* Tuition assistance is limited to $10,000 per student and $5,000 per year.

* Must pursue a degree in a high-demand occupation or emerging industry, such as:

  • Criminal Justice/Corrections (Bachelor’s or Associate’s), Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement (Bachelor’s or Associate’s)
  • LPN and BSN
  • Engineering: Computer, Electrical, Manufacturing and Mechanical

* Approved Certificates, Associate degrees, or the last two years of a Bachelor’s degree can be considered.

* Eligibility and assessment must be completed through the local Michigan Works! Office.

Eligibility Includes:

*  Unemployed persons or laid off workers.

*   If employed, family income needs to be $40,000 or less per year.

*  Applicants need to be over 23 years old and reside in Michigan

*  Must be a United States citizen or eligible non-citizen, residing in Michigan.

No Worker Left Behind is not an entitlement program, however, more people than ever before qualify for training and funding is available.  Applications are being processed now for fall semester; interested students are encouraged to contact their local Michigan Works office.  If interested, please call Cindy Suppa, Gina Williams, or Nancy Karst at 906-635-1752.  We look forward to hearing from you.

Chippewa County         Luce County Mackinac County
1118 East Easterday Avenue    501 W. Harrie, Suite E 6 Spring Street
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783      Newberry, MI 49868   St. Ignace, MI 49781
(906) 635-1752 (906) 293-8551 (906) 643-8158