Senator Philip A. Hart Memorial Scholarship
The Philip A. Hart Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to up to three Michigan students whose ideals and goals reflect those of the Senator. The scholarship is a full-time tuition award and is renewable based on meeting the distinguished scholarship renewal criteria.
Applying for the Philip A. Hart Memorial Scholarship
- Graduates of Michigan high schools or community colleges planning to attend Lake Superior State University are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants must have a cumulative 3.0
GPA as of their current year of
- Demonstrate interest in public service, as reflected through leadership roles and volunteer activities in their school and community
- Submit a formal essay not to exceed 1,000 words detailing
his or her values, goals, and public service
- The essay should express: "How do my leadership and public service roles relate to the goals and ideals of Senator Philip A. Hart?"
- Demonstrate his/her
knowledge and appreciation of Senator Hart’s
career, values and ideals
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to the candidate’s leadership and/or public service activities
- Include a copy of your most current transcript.
- Complete the scholarship application (pdf) and submit with essay and two letters of recommendation
You may also view the scholarship brochure (pdf) for additional information.
Application materials must be received at Lake Superior State University - postmarked on or before April 1
Philip A. Hart Memorial Scholarship
c/o Hart Scholarship Committee Chair
Lake Superior State University
650 W Easterday Avenue
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783