When academics or personal interests intersect with the living environment, students grow and learning is enhanced. Lake Superior State University offers a variety of residential living-learning communities that allow students with similar academic interests or career goals to live and study together in community.
At LSSU Living-Learning Communities are housed in the Row Houses and provide a smaller, more intimate environment for the exploration of a specific field of study. By thinking, studying, living and learning with others who share and understand their aspirations, students can maximize both their academic and personal experiences at LSSU. Each of the programs are associated with an academic department or organization. Every LLC also has a faculty or staff member dedicated to making the program stimulating and fun.
What are LLCs?
As a member of a LLC, you’ll have the chance to get to know your instructors and develop strong friendships with fellow students who share similar academic interests and career goals.
Each LLC has a full kitchen, laundry room, dining area and a large common area, as well as a library/study room
Students in Living Learning Communities get to know professors better and develop strong friendships with other students. Living Learning Communities also provide students with connections between what is being learned in a formal classroom and daily life.
Living Learning Communities have been shown to increase student retention and academic achievement, increase student involvement and motivation, improve time for degree completion, and enhance intellectual development. Students also become more intellectually mature and responsible for their own learning and develop the capacity to care about the learning of their peers.
How to Apply?
To apply to live in one of Living Learning Communities, you will need to do the following:
- If you have not already obtain admission to Lake Superior State University http://www.lssu.edu/admissions/applying.php. Freshman through Seniors are encouraged to apply to live in any of the Living Learning Communities.
- Submit the Housing Application and pay the first room and board payment of $300 plus damage deposit of $150housing deposit http://www.lssu.edu/housing/applications.php
- Review the Living Learning Program options Section I of the LLC Application or click View LLC Halls below.
- Complete and submit the Living Learning Program Application. Application to be found below.
Find yourself in a Living-Learning Community!
- Meaningful faculty connections
- Network of students from similar interests
- Activities designed to complement your academic/career goals
- Connections to life-long friends
LSSU Housing Office