Redefining the Classroom

On-Campus Residency Guidelines

Living Areas

If you are a full-time student within 27 calendar months of the date of your high school graduation, the University requires that you live on campus. For these purposes, “full-time” means enrolled for 12 or more credit hours, and all graduation dates will be assumed to be June 1 of any given year. The following are exceptions to this policy:

  1. If you live with your parents within a 60-mile or three-county (Chippewa, Luce, and Mackinac) radius of the campus;
  2. If residence hall space is filled; or,
  3. If you have an unusual financial or health problem and are excused from living on campus by the Director of Housing and Residential Life.

To claim any of these exceptions, you need to get an exemption application from the Office of Campus Life and receive permission from the director of Housing and Residential Life, in order to live off campus. The University also recognizes the occasional need for other exceptions to its residency requirements. Requests for these exceptions will be considered by the Vice President for Student Affairs.

The director of Housing and Residential Life has the responsibility for any removals from housing that may be necessary for disciplinary reasons. The Vice President for Student Affairs is the officer of appeal for these decisions. If a student is removed from the residence hall while under the on-campus residency requirements, she or he may continue classes on a part-time status only. The director of Housing and Residential Life may terminate housing privileges for students who fail to maintain a current status on their room and board accounts. Appeals for this type of action will be heard by the Vice President for Student Affairs.