Redefining the Classroom

Frequently Asked Questions for New International Students

U.S. Visa Delays

  • Can you write a letter to speed up the processing of my U.S. visa application?
    Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to expedite the processing of your visa application. Officers in U.S. Embassies and Consulates have asked universities not to send letters regarding students' visa applications. The reason is that the Consulates are inundated with paperwork and do not have sufficient staff or time to process such letters.

Bringing Money into the U.S.

  • How much money can I bring into the U.S.?
    If you plan to bring money (e.g., cash, money order, certified check, travelers’ checks, letter of credit) into the U.S., please note the following from the Customs & Border Protection (CBP) website:
    “Travelers leaving or entering the U.S. are required to report monetary instruments (i.e. currency or checks) valued at $10,000 or more on a "Report of International Transportation of Currency or Monetary Instruments" form FinCEN 105” (also available from a CBP officer). “Failure to declare currency in amounts of over $10,000 can result in its seizure.” 

    Please Note:
    • We do not recommend that you carry large sums of cash when you come to the U.S. Please bring a money card or travelers’ checks instead.
    • Do not assume that you can multiply $10,000 by the number of people in your group and bring in that amount of money. The border officer will try to determine to whom the money really belongs. If s/he determines that it belongs to one person, s/he will seize it if the amount exceeds $10,000.
    • Never make false statements to a border officer about money or anything else. The penalty for making false statements to border officers is very severe, including a fine and up to two years of imprisonment.
    • If you do not follow the above-mentioned advice and your money is seized, we advise you not to fill out any forms to request that the money be returned to you. To file a request that will be approved by Customs & Border Protection requires in-depth knowledge of the relevant regulations and the way that such requests are adjudicated. For these reasons, it is much better to hire an attorney to help you get your money back.

       For more information, please visit Customs & Border Protection.

  • How much money will I need during my first year at LSSU?
    You can find the Estimated Cost of Attendance on your I-20 and on line at: LSSU Cost of Attendance

Orientation Attendance

  • Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?
    International Student Orientation is mandatory. The orientation sessions were designed to prevent problems experienced by previous international students at LSSU and to provide “one-stop shopping” for the things you need to start your life at the University and in Sault Ste. Marie. Attendance at International Student Orientation will save you the trouble of getting those things on your own. The orientation sessions are also extremely practical, helpful and important. If you don’t attend them, you will miss the helpful information and valuable tips shared in orientation sessions and you will have to find them out on your own. Last, attendance at orientation is necessary for course registration. 
  • I’m transferring from another U.S. university. Do I have to attend International Student Orientation?
    Although you have already studied in the U.S., you are new to LSSU. All U.S. universities have their own procedures, policies and services, so your prior experience will not help you at LSSU as much you think. For this reason, you are still required to attend the International Student Orientation at LSSU.
  • I wasn’t able to get a flight to arrive in time for Orientation. Can I join International Student Orientation late? 
    Yes, we will arrange a late Orientation for you to get the necessary information so that you will have a successful start at LSSU.

Bill Payment

  • How can I pay my tuition and fees?
    For information on Payment Options and How to Make a Payment, go to: How to Make a Payment
    For billing questions, please email Mr. Craig Krouth at, or call at (906)635-2734.

Registration Hold

  • What is a Registration Hold and why do I have one?
    A hold on an LSSU student's account may prevent the student from registering for classes, receiving grades or transcripts, etc. Students receive a hold when action is required on their part.

    Every new international student has a Registration Hold on his/her account. This ensures that the student attends the International Student Orientation. At the Orientation, you will meet with a representative from your academic area, who will remove the hold and help you register for classes.


  • Can I work? If so, how can I find a job?
    F-1 international students are eligible to work on-campus without special authorization. To learn how to find an on-campus job and the instructions for the student—the rules and process, please visit:
    International Student Employment (pdf)

Social Security Card

  • How, when and where can I get a Social Security Card?
    In order to apply for a Social Security Card, F-1 international students must have written job offers.