Academic Success Center
ALEKS® (Assessment and LEarning in Knowledge Spaces)
ALEKS® is a web-based, assessment and learning system for MATH 087, MATH 088 and MATH 102.
It is different from other on-line learning programs in that it…
- Uses artificial intelligence to target gaps in student knowledge
- Adapts to student needs with individualized instruction
- Provides clear explanations and immediate feedback
- Monitors learning progress with automated reports
- After a break, automatically returns the student to the place he/she was working
- Offers unlimited on-line access from any computer
When you first login to ALEKS®, you will
be taken through a brief tutorial to show you how to use the program. You will then be
given an assessment to determine your current
level of course knowledge. Once the
assessment is complete, ALEKS® will
develop a pie chart that represents which
topics have been mastered and which ones
you are ready to learn. You select the topic
to study and ALEKS® generates practice problems that teach the selected topic. Complete
explanations and step-by-step procedures
for solving each problem are available. When you consistently choose the correct answers, ALEKS® considers the topic learned. Your pie chart is then updated and you can move on to the next topic.
ALEKS® will also periodically reassess you to ensure that topics have been learned and are being retained in long term memory. Courses in ALEKS® are aligned with the following LSSU courses:
- MATH 087
- MATH 088
- MATH 102
Is ALEKS® right for me?
If you can answer “YES” to each of these
statements, ALEKS® may work well for you.
- When rating my skills using a computer, I
would say I’m comfortable, competent and
a frequent user.
- I think I’m someone who often gets things
done ahead of time.
- When I get directions for an assignment or
project, I like to figure out the instructions
on my own or try to follow the directions,
asking for help if necessary.
- I like to get feedback on my work right
- The amount of time I have to work on an
online course is about six to ten hours a
- As a reader, I would classify myself as
good; I usually understand a text without
Register for ALEKS®
Purchase an ALEKS access code from the Barnes and Noble Bookstore at LSSU. If you are uncertain as to which code to purchase, please see the ALEKS Coordinator in LIBR 149 first or call (906) 635-2355.
Bring your receipt to the ALEKS Coordinator in LIBR 149 to receive your course code and a brief orientation to using ALEKS.
- PC: Pentium or equivalent processor. Minimum 64MB RAM. Windows 98 or higher.
- Macintosh: PowerMac or iMac with a minimum of 64MB RAM. Mac OS 10.3 or higher.
- Internet access is required.