David W. Hughes Collection—Postcards
The Roman Forum showing the
2. General view of the Roman Forum.
3. Roman Forum showing reflecting pools and blossoming shrubbery in foreground.
6. Roman Forum showing the Settimio Severo Arch.
7. Monument to Victor Emanuel II with colosseum in background.
8. View of the monument to Victor Emanuel II from the Piazza Venezia. Black & white.
Aerial view of Imperiali
Street showing the monument to Victor Emanuel II in foreground, the Roman
Forum, and the colosseum in background. Black &
white. Addressed to: Mrs. Frank R. Hughes,
10. Arch of Constatine.
Colosseum with manicured
shrubbery in foreground. Two postcards, one addressed to: Mrs. Edith B. Noon. [Blairie?]. From: Jack [John R. Noon],
13. Colosseum with partial view of interior. Black & white.
14. Detail of the monument to unknown soldier. Black & white.
15. Place de l’Esedra. Fountain in foreground.
16. Traiani markets. Trees in foreground. Buildings in background.
17. The Olympic stadium. Flowering shrub in foreground.
Tomb of Cecilia Metella on
19. Place de Spagna. Fountain in foreground.
Lungotevere and St. Angel’s
25. St. Peter’s Square with St. Peter’s Basilica in background.
26. St. Peter’s Basilica. Addressed to: David W. Hughes, M.D. From: Abbott. Postmark: 1956.
28. Postcard booklets with thirty-two color postcards each. Title on covers: Roma 32 vedute a colori, parte I [and] parte II. Text on back in Italian, French, English, German and Spanish. 17x 12 cm.
29. Twenty separated postcards in cardboard folder: Tivoli Villa Adriana. Exterior and interior views of the Villa Adriana; views of city. Text in Italian, French, English, and German. Black and white. 10 x 7 cm.
30. Basilica of Saint Francis, exterior view, black & white.
31. Grave of St. Francis, black & white.
On front of card: Toscana Artistica.
Views of three churches in
33. Front view of the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore.
Front and side view of the Basilica di
Square of the Signoria (Dettaglio). Addressed to: Mrs. Frank R. Hughes,
38. Loggia dei Lanri. View of building with arches and statuary. Black & white.
39. Piazza di Santa Croce. Fountain in foreground. Church in background. Black & white.
40. Statue of David by Michelangelo; in the Accademia Gallery. Black & white.
41. Head of David, detail of statue by Michelangelo; in the Accademia Gallery. Black & white.
42. Statue of Perseus by Benvenuto Cellini. Black & white.
Night shot of
Piazza del Duomo
with bell tower (leaning
48. Interior of Duomo. Black & white.
49. Interior of Duomo; close-up of above view. Black & white.
50. View showing the bell tower and part of the Duomo. Black & white.
The bell tower in background; urn on pedestal in
foreground. Black & white. Addressed to: Mrs. Edith B. Noon,
52. View of city looking north. Black & white.
53. Postcard booklet with twenty views of tourist sights. Text in English, French, German, and Spanish. Black & white. 10 x 7 cm.
54. On front of postcard: Saluti da Milano. Four separate views of sights in city.
55. The Arch of Peace.
57. Interior view of La Scala opera house.
58. Picture of Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper.
59. Ristorante Giannino—view of kitchen with chefs. Two postcards.
60. Ristorante Giannino—view of private dining area with blue ceramic arches.
Exterior view of Hotel Principe & Savoia. Two postcards. 1. Addressed to: Mrs. Frank R. Hughes,
Three views of
63. St. Mark Basilica.
St. Mark Basilica. Addressed to: Mrs. Frank R. Hughes,
65. Steeple of St. Mark.
66. St. Mark’s Square showing clock tower.
67. St. Mark’s Square showing flight of pigeons.
68. Aerial view of city. Black & white.
69. City view from Isle of St. George. Black & white.
70. The Isle of St. George. Black & white.
71. Aerial view of city with Isle of St. George in foreground.
77. The clock tower in St. Mark’s Square with the bronze horses of the basilica in foreground. Black & white.
78. The clock tower in St. Mark’s Square with the bronze horses of the basilica in foreground.
79. The Ducal Palace.
The Ducal Palace. Black & white. Addressed to: Dr.
81. The Church of Santa Maria della Salute viewed from across the canal.
Painting: The Assumption by Tiziano
Vecellio--The altarpiece of the Basilica di
Madonna and Child by Giovanni Bellini—the
sacristy altarpiece of the Basilica di
Cortina--Grand Hotel Savoia. Black & white. Addressed to: David W. Hughes
Cortina—City in foreground;
87. Cortina—View of city with mountains in background.
Cortina—Cable car and
91. Tre Cime di Lavaredo.
Collection David W. Hughes Collection—Postcards
Collection Location Kenneth J. Shouldice Library
Location Special Collections
Electronic Location http://www.lssu.edu/library/hughescollection/PostcardsItaly