Some databases provide web pages that are specifically designed for mobile devices.
- The One Search Box for mobile devices.
- Lexis-Nexis Academic Mobile
- EBSCO databases will recognize your mobile device and reformat the web pages to accomodate your screen.
The Library Now Lends iPads, Kindles, and more!
The library has a few devices to loan (1 Nook HD, 1 Kindle Fire HD, 2 Nexus 7's and 2 iPad 3rd Generations). The loan period for each tool is two weeks. Each device has a variety of apps that we hope will let you explore what that tool can do. For more information, to check one out, or to get on the waiting list, call Beth Hronek (x2651) or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ebrary -- Current, academic books
Ebrary has 76,000 electronic books, mostly academic, and mostly current, that you can download to your device.
- Create an account for Ebrary while on campus, using a computer.
- Download and install the Ebrary app from the Google Play store or the iTunes store.
- If you wish to download a book to your device, you may be prompted to install Adobe Digital Editions and create an account.
Zinio -- Current popular magazines
Zinio allows you to read 150 popular and current
interest magazines, cover to cover, only on your computer or a mobile
device. You need an Internet connection to download the magazine, but
once on your device, you can read it without a live connection. Zinio
if offered by the KJS Library in partnership with the Bayliss
Public Library. To take advantage of Zinio, you must have a current
Bayliss Public Library card. All students may get a Bayliss Public
Library card by going to the public library and showing a student
identification card. LSSU employees must live in the Bayliss service
area, but it's broad, and most employees should be eligible. More
information about Zinio.
Setting up Zinio
- Have your Bayliss Public Library card available when you are ready to set up Zinio.
- Go to this site, and click on Create New Account in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Type your barcode in the box and click on the Next button. Follow the directions for creating your account. Make note of your userid and password, they need to be the same for this account and your device's account.
- Once you have created the account, you can start "shopping" for magazines. On this page, since you've already logged in as a Superiorland Library Cooperative member, you see magazines that are free for you to read.
- Look through the magazines and click on one that looks interesting. A new window will appear. Click on Complete Checkout, and that magazine will be yours to read. If you intend to use your computer to read the magazine, you won't need to worry about another account.
- If you wish to use a device such as an iPad, iPhone, or Android device to read the magazines, you'll need to download the Zinio app and create an account through the app. Make sure you use the same userid and password that you did when you registered with Zinio and it should all work. If it doesn't, contact Beth (x2651) or Ruth (x2124).
- Go to the Bayliss Public Library web page.
- Click on the Downloadable Audio, eBooks, and Magazines link on the left side menu bar.
- Choose the top icon, "Download audiobooks & ebooks"
- Sign in, using the bar code from your Bayliss Public Library card, and the last four digits of your phone number.
- Browse through e-books and audiobooks, selecting up to four titles for check out. eBooks are checked out to you for 14 days, audio books for 7. You can't turn them in early to check out something else.
- Once you've selected items, you can download them. There are many scenarios from this point. You may download the items to your computer, inwhich case you'll need to install the Overdrive Media Console on your computer. The link should be on the Overdrive Media pages you browsed to check out your books. From the media console, you may download audio books to supported MP3 players. You may also install Overdrive apps to your iPad or Android devices, and search for materials and download from the app. To view a book, on either your computer or your device, you'll need an Adobe Digital Editions installed, and you'll need to create a free account. This can be complicated, so if you have questions, please contact Beth (x2651) or Ruth (x2124).
Overdrive Media -- Popular Audio and E-Books
Overdrive is offered through the Bayliss Public Library. All
students can take advantage of it by getting a Bayliss Public Library
card--simply go down to the public library with your current student ID
to get a card. Most employees are in the Bayliss service area, and so
are also eligible to use this service.
To Select and Download Materials
Find apps and add ons for most any device and need through Quixey.