Lake Superior State University
Lake Superior State University
Related Sites


Section: Business and Support Operations Section Number: 3.22.3
Subject: Vehicles: State and College Date of Present Issue: 07/01/87
  Date of Previous Issues:
07/70, 07/71, 08/71, 07/72, 01/73, 07/73, 06/79, 12/79


All motor pool cars and vans will be maintained and dispatched by the Physical Plant Department located at the Maintenance-Warehouse Building at Meridian and 4th Avenue.

The cars are to be used for official business of the College only, and the mileage will be charged to using departments. Vehicles may be charged out and operated by full-time employees of the College, and by students, when authorized, for official College business.

Passengers in College vehicles are limited to College and other State employees on official business. The exception to this is the employee's spouse or other relative, of the same household, may accompany them if use of the vehicle is otherwise in order.

The motor pool consists of College-owned vehicles and of state-owned vehicles which are leased from the State of Michigan. Rates charged to the departments for vehicle use are the same for both College and state vehicles.

Use of state and College vehicles must be authorized by the department head who will be responsible to assure that only qualified personnel operate the vehicle which was requested.

Vehicle requests which are for long-distance travel shall generally have precedence over local travel vehicle requests, when availability of vehicles is limited.

Vehicles may be requested on an "individual trip" basis or on a "permanent assignment basis". An individual trip basis is charged to the using department on a mileage basis with a minimal charge assessed at the option of the director of the physical plant for those departments where frequent low mileage use results in insufficient revenue to support the cost. Permanent assignments require a surcharge and a mileage cost to be assessed to the using department. The director of the physical plant is responsible for informing the Accounting Department of any permanent assignments, changes in assignments, related surcharges, and any minimum charges.


Requester 1. Fills out State Car Authorization Form SOO-126 (Attachment 2). Obtains necessary approvals and forwards to the dispatcher in the Physical Plant office. (Reservations subject to availability.)
Dispatcher 1. Receives approved form and schedules vehicle for use. Notifies requestor if vehicle is unavailable.

  1. Car Keys

    Keys will be picked up by the driver from the dispatcher immediately before the vehicle's scheduled use, and the driver will sign and date the request form at this time to acknowledge receipt of the keys. The dispatcher will retain the request form.

    Drivers requesting cars for evening use will pick up keys between 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m., on the day of use. Those needing a car on weekends will pick up the keys between 4 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. on Friday.

    A driver who reserved a car for early morning departure and is unable to obtain the keys before 4:30 p.m., because the assigned car has not been returned, will pick up the car keys in the Security Office (Administration Building) before departure.

    Keys must be returned to the dispatcher's office immediately after use. If it is after office hours, the keys should be deposited in the key drop box. Vehicle Trouble Reports (See Item E) should also be turned in with the keys, if applicable.

  2. Bridge Ticket Book

    Bridge ticket books (for trips to Canada) are picked up from the cashier in the Business Office. They are to be returned immediately after use. If it is after hours they should be returned the next business day.

  3. Gasoline, Oil, Repairs

    There is a universal state credit card in the key packet for each state vehicle, and a major oil company credit card in the key packet for each College vehicle. The state credit card can only be used for the state vehicle listed on the card and only in the State of Michigan. When a state vehicle is to be used out-of-state, the dispatcher will furnish a major oil company credit card for the trip. This card is to be used only for the out-of-state gas purchases. The card is to be returned at the end of the trip.

    The major oil company credit cards in the College-owned vehicles may be used in any College vehicle and can be used out-of-state and in Canada.

  4. Log

    There is a mileage log in the key packet for each vehicle. Each driver will record the starting and ending mileage of each trip, showing mileage at each major stop on the trip. For instance, "From Sault Ste. Marie to Lansing", "Vicinity mileage in the city of Lansing", and "From Lansing to Sault Ste. Marie".

  5. Accidents

    Accidents will be reported on the STATE-OWNED MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT REPORT, Form MTD-33-1, to be found in the glove compartment of each vehicle (Attachment 1). Serious accidents involving personal injury must be reported immediately by telephone to the College Purchasing Office. All accident reports should be made to the proper police authority in the same manner as if the driver were driving a personal car.

  6. Vehicle Trouble Report

    There is a pad of Vehicle Trouble Report forms in the glove compartment of each vehicle (Attachment 3). It is the responsibility of the driver to report IMMEDIATELY on this form, any malfunction or deficiencies of the car such as a defective tire, brake problems, or any other mechanical or physical problems. At the end of the trip, the form must be returned with the keys.

  7. Return of Vehicle

    A vehicle which is scheduled to return in the evening MUST BE RETURNED on that evening and NOT the following morning. If returning after office hours, the driver must return the keys by depositing them in the key drop box provided, along with the bridge book (if used) and vehicle trouble report, if applicable.

  8. Violation of Rules

    Drivers violating these rules will be restricted from driving state and College vehicles.

  9. Unauthorized and Illegal Acts

    Any liability incurred by unauthorized or illegal acts while operating a state or College vehicle is the responsibility of the individual involved.

Home » 3.22.3 - Vehicles: State and College
Share this page with your friends: