||Date of Present Issue:||
||Date of Previous Issues:
11/81, 03/83, 08/83, 11/85, 09/87, 10/90, 07/93
NON-EXEMPT POSITIONS (those subject to overtime regulations).
All absences from the normal work station or schedule must be documented on
Form LSSU 231A, Application for Approved Absence (Attachment 1). The following
procedure applies to the processing of forms.
||1. Submits the appropriate application form for approved absence to the
immediate supervisor at least 3 working days prior to expected absence.
2. These forms are required for absences chargeable to:
- Sick leave
- Funeral leave
- Short term absence on personal business without pay
- Other (e.g. military duty, comp. time)
- Long term leaves of absence (i.e. child care, medical leave)
- Jury duty - employees called for jury or witness duty will receive
full pay. Any fees received from the court must be deposited at the
Cashiers' window to offset wages.
3. If absence is due to some cause that makes advance approval impossible,
such as illness, the Application for Approved Absence must be completed
during the first working day after returning.
4. If absence cannot be documented prior to departure, a telephone
call must be made to the immediate supervisor, giving the reason for
||5. Indicates written consent or denial on application form and forwards
application to the department head.
||6. Department heads (i.e. account executives) are the final approval
authorities for all short term absences (less than 30 days) for personnel
reporting to them: vacation, sick leave, funeral leave, and short term
leave without pay and travel on University business that is to be charged
to their departmental budgets.
Department heads should use Procedure 4.3.9. and/or union contracts
to determine correct usage of sick leave, or consult the Employee Relations
Office if questions arise.
If no further approval is required, skip to Step 9.
|Cabinet Member/Vice President
||7. All extended leaves of 30 days or more require the approval
of the appropriate cabinet member/vice president: child care and maternity
leave, family and medical leave, VERT schedules, military and peace corps
service leaves, and administrative/sabbatical leaves, which might affect
staffing in their area of responsibility. (Also for MFLA leaves under Procedure
|Director of Employee Relations
- All leave forms for work-related injuries (Worker's Compensation),
and requests for additional sick or funeral leave days (as provided
for in the ESP contract and Procedure 4.3.9) requires the approval
of the Director of Employee Relations.
- Donation of sick leave forms will be approved by the appropriate
cabinet member and the Director of Employee Relations.
- Physician's release to return to work after 1 week or more of illness,
or restrictions on work activities, must be reviewed and approved,
by the Director of Employee Relations before an individual returns
to work (see Procedure 4.3.9-J).
- Application to return from extended leaves will follow the procedure
outlined in Section 4.1.2-K and 4.1.5.
||9. Approves or disapproves absence, signs and distributes copies of forms
in the following order:
Form 231A and 231B
- Original to Employee Relations Office.
- Yellow copy to Department Head.
- Pink copy to the employee (in advance of requested departure time,
RECORDING AND AUDIT:
||10. Makes appropriate entries concerning absence on departmental payroll
worksheet and retains yellow copy for file. Retention period for absence
forms is 2 years.
11. Enters worked time records from worksheet or time cards onto timesheets
in ink each pay period, making sure all absences from scheduled work
are documented with approved absence forms.
||12. Checks absences, signs timesheets and initials all changes.
||13. Checks to insure proper signatures and initials of changes are on
the timesheets. If signature or initials are not present, obtains proper
14. Issues timesheet summary each pay period to departments after
checks are printed.
||15. Audits timesheet summary to verify that all absences are documented
and correctly reported. Makes any required corrections on subsequent pay
period timesheets or completes a Vacation and Sick Leave Accrual Change
Sheet (LSSU 128-285, Attachment 2). Obtains Department Head's written approval
for any changes.
16. Keeps audited timesheet summary and worksheet or time cards on
file for two years.
EXEMPT POSITIONS (those not subject to overtime regulations).
- Employee notifies department head in writing including reason and length
of absence required. (Faculty will follow Section 15 of their contract regarding
- If department head approves, obtains approval of the vice president and
notifies vice president of need for replacement coverage, if applicable.
- If vice president approves, expenditure for replacement, if needed, will
be requested on Position Approval/Replacement form per Procedure 4.8.3.
Recording and auditing of exempt employees absences will follow the method
used for non-exempt employees, except that approved absence forms are not required.
(See 10 through 16 above.)