||Staffing: Definitions of Employees
||Date of Present Issue:||
||Date of Previous Issues:
01/88, 03/87, 11/81, 05/67
- The term "regular employee" as used in this policy manual shall mean an
employee who fills an established position either full- or part-time with
the intent that the position is scheduled by the University indefinitely.
- The term "temporary employee" as used in this policy manual shall mean
an employee whose employment is either full- or part-time, limited in duration
to less than 60 days, or is approved for:
- a specific project.
- the purpose of relieving regular staff members who are absent due
to illness, leave of absence, or vacation.
- augmenting the regular staff to meet the requirements of the University
occasioned by resignation, dismissal, increased work loads, or any
other conditions that may create short-term staffing shortages.
- The term "full-time employee" shall mean an employee, either regular or
temporary, who is normally scheduled to work twenty-seven (27) or more hours
per week*, or an equivalent appointment (67.5%).
- The term "part-time employee" shall mean an employee, either regular or
temporary, who is normally scheduled to work less than twenty-seven (27)
hours per week*, or an equivalent appointment less than that defined as full-time
- The term "exempt employee" shall mean an executive, administrative, academic
or professional, salaried employee exempted from the minimum wage and overtime
provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act as amended.
- The term "non-exempt employee" shall mean an hourly-paid employee not exempted
from the minimum wage and overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards
Act as amended.
- The term "executive staff member" shall mean an exempt employee answering
directly to the president or anyone in the next level of the administrative
structure. Example: The Director of Financial Aid reporting to the Vice President
for Student Programs and Services, is an executive staff member.
- The term "administrative staff member" shall mean an exempt employee answering
directly to an executive staff member. Example: The Assistant Director of
Financial Aid, reporting to the Director of Financial Aid, is an administrative
- The term "academic staff member" shall mean an exempt professional employee
with or without tenure, appointed to a teaching, academic or research position
on the faculty of Lake Superior State University.
- The term "professional staff member" shall mean an exempt professional
employee with academic degree appointment to a position at Lake Superior
State University requiring advanced knowledge in a field of science, technology,
or learning. Example: Librarian, Nurse.
* Minimum hours apply to non-exempt positions.
- The term "probationary employee" shall mean a non-exempt employee during
the first ninety calendar days of employment, or first 180 days, if the supervisor
requests an extension. Upon completion of the probationary period, and retention
by the University, the employee shall be credited with ninety or 180 days
length of service, whichever applies, and it shall be so entered on the seniority
list, if applicable. The employee will then be considered a "regular employee."
- The term "student employee" shall mean a non-exempt, temporary employee,
who is hired specifically as part of the University's financial aid program
to provide financial assistance to the individual in order to attend the
University. A student employee does not receive fringe benefits and does
not accrue service time or seniority at the University.