Lake Superior State University
Lake Superior State University
Related Sites


Section: Employee/Labor Relations Section Number: 4.8.6
Subject: Staffing: Employment of Minors Date of Present Issue: 01/30/87
  Date of Previous Issues:
07/71, 06/79, 11/81


Every minor must have a working permit to be employed for any reason by the University. Employment of minors in Michigan is governed by the Youth Employment Standards Act, Act 90, Public Acts of 1978.

  1. Age Standards: A "minor" is defined as a person under 18 years of age.

    1. Work permits are divided into two categories:
      1. 14-15 age group
      2. 16-17 age group

    2. High school graduates at age 17 are not required to have a work permit.

    3. A work permit for routine, non-hazardous employment, once obtained, does not need to be renewed annually.

  2. Minors may only be employed in routine, non-hazardous jobs. A list of approved jobs is available in the Employee Relations Office.

  3. Those employers who wish to receive approval for minors to work hours other than those provided by the law, or in occupations declared to be hazardous by the Department, must apply to the Wage Hour Division, Department of Labor, for a special approval.


Minor Seeking Employment 1. Applies for approval by completing "Request for Working Permit", application form CA-6D, available at the Sault Area Public Schools, 1 Plaza, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan; provides proof of age document (i.e. birth certificate).
Sault Area Public Schools 2. Completes and certifies "Approved Work Permit" for CA-6 for minor to work.
Minor 3. Presents "Approved Work Permit" to the Employee Relations Office, Social Security card, drivers license or other identification, and signs required payroll papers.
Employee Relations Office 4. Approves payroll authorization from hiring department for minor; files Work Permit with other payroll papers in personnel file of minor.
Home » 4.8.6 - Staffing: Employment of Minors
Share this page with your friends: