||Staffing: Pre-Employment Physical Examinations
||Date of Present Issue:||
||Date of Previous Issues:
All final candidates for Physical Plant, Food Service, Security, and
certain clerical and other positions that require frequent heavy lifting or
strenuous exertion, are required to pass a post-offer employment physical examination
to ascertain general health and/or fitness for duty. This includes temporary
and part-time positions.
After employment, individuals holding positions which require a valid chauffeur's
license will be required to pass a physical exam every twelve months.
Individuals who have been employed in non-physical types of positions, who
request or apply for transfer to food service, physical plant, security or
other positions requiring employment physical exams, will be required to pass
a physical exam as a condition of transfer to that position.
All required physical examinations will be performed at the University Health
CARE Center and appointments must be made through the Human Resources Office.
Results of physical exams will be kept in a separate confidential file in the
Human Resources Office. Required physical exams will be paid for by the University
through the Human Resources Office and charged back to the employing department.
- The hiring supervisor, on selection of a final candidate for jobs in the
above listed areas, will notify the Human Resources Office, prior to making
a final offer or commitment to hire the individual. Final determination of
hiring is contingent upon candidate's ability to perform essential functions
of the position, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- The Human Resources Office will make arrangements for a physical examination
to be conducted at the Health CARE Center and will notify the prospective
candidate of the date of appointment for the exam.
- The candidate will pick up the examination form at the Human Resources
Office, which will serve as authorization for the exam, and will present
it at the Health CARE Center at the time of the appointment.
- Upon completion of the exam, the candidate will sign the form, releasing
the information to be used for employment determination purposes only. A
copy will be given to the candidate, and a copy retained at the Center. The
original will be mailed to the University Human Resources Office.
- The Human Resources Office will notify the department of the determination
made by the Health CARE Center. The physical exam results will be kept in
a separate confidential file.
- If results of the exam are acceptable for fitness for duty requirements,
the hiring supervisor may then offer the candidate the position (as new hire
- If the results of the exam indicate a disabling condition, or physical
restriction on activity, the supervisor will consult with the Director of
Human Resources and the appropriate cabinet member, to determine whether
reasonable accommodations can be made for the disability in order to perform
the essential functions of the position. This determination and reasons will
be documented with the individual's application record. Accommodation will
be described in writing and will be kept in the individual's file, if employed
in the position.
Examples of positions requiring employment (pre-transfer) physical examinations:
- All Food Service Positions - food service helper, cook, dishroom coordinator
- All Building Custodial Positions
- Skilled Trades
- Maintenance Mechanic and Mechanic
- Equipment/Groundskeeper and Landscaper
- Steam Plant Operator
- Motor Pool Stores Clerk
- Positions Operating a Shipping/Receiving Area
- Printing Production Technician
- Bookstore Sales Clerk, Textbook Assistant
- Security Department - director, officers
- Mechanical/Computer/and Telephone Technicians
- Child Care Center - supervisors, teachers
- Audio Visual Technician