||Other Working Conditions: Retirement and Service Awards Ceremony
||Date of Present Issue:||
||Date of Previous Issues:
01/79, 11/81, 04/86, 03/87, 01/88, 09/94
The University honors official Lake Superior State University retirees and
regular staff members completing 10, 20, 30, or 40 years of full-time or equivalent
part-time service, in the current fiscal year, at a ceremony where retirement
gifts, service awards and certificates are presented by University officials.
- The annual Retirement and Service Awards Ceremony is held in the spring.
Dates vary depending on scheduled University activities and facilities.
- The following are invited to attend the ceremony as guests of the University:
the retiree and the retiree's spouse or guest; the awardee and the awardee's
spouse or guest; the selected dinner speakers; Board of Trustees members;
and committee members, if necessary.
- All University employees and past retirees are invited to attend the ceremony.
Family members of retirees and awardees may also attend. Tickets are sold
by the Cashier's Office.
|Employee Relations Office
||1. Prepares list of retirees and staff members eligible for service awards,
and suggested list of committee members, if a committee is used.
2. Submits to the President on or before February 15.
3. Arranges date and location for ceremony.
||4. If a committee is used, appoints Retirement and Service Awards Ceremony
Committee representing the units of employees to be honored.
|Retirement and Service Awards Committee or Chair
||5. Makes all arrangements for meal and programs; selects menu, Awards
Committee or Chair decorations, selects and contacts speakers.
6. Writes content of invitations, selects retiree and awardee gifts,
and compiles list of University guests.
7. Orders printed material, gifts, engraving, service awards, and
corsages through the Purchasing Office, if necessary.
8. Mails invitations to University guests and ascertains expected
9. Mails general invitations, distributes reminders and posters to
10. Arranges tables, decorations, gifts, and supervises process of program.
Years of Service for Purposes of the Awards Ceremony Include:
- Time an employee is actually on the University payroll, in other than student
- Includes part-time, equivalent part-time and temporary periods (other than
- Does not include leaves of absence without pay except military service.
- Service time will be calculated based on initial employment dates (not
including student employment) within the fiscal year, July 1 through June
30. Faculty retiring at the end of the academic year will be considered to
have completed their final year of service. Service awards for faculty on
nine month appointments will be calculated based on the academic year, rather
than date of hire.
- Those honored for retirement will also be honored for attaining 10, 20,
30 or 40 years of service, if service year is reached during retirement year.