||Date of Present Issue:||
||Date of Previous Issues:
The Upward Bound Program is funded by the U.S. Department of Education to
provide academic, cultural and personal/ social activities which will encourage
eligible participants to attend college after graduation from high school.
Eligibility criteria for students are established by the U.S. Department of
Education, which provides funds through a four year renewable grant to the
University. Program expenses are charged through an expendable restricted fund
account for each grant year. The grant year begins June 1 and ends May 31.
The Director of Upward Bound reports to the Vice President for Student Programs
and Services and is responsible for:
- Submission of program proposals in accordance with the specifications established
by the Department of Education, regarding deadlines and program content.
- Design and implementation of all Upward Bound activities within the allotted
- Compliance with the provisions of the Education Department General Administrative
Regulations (EDGAR) and Federal TRIO legislation.
- Recruitment and retention of students for the program.
- Determination of staffing needs, assignment of duties and hiring of staff,
subject to the approval of the Vice President for Student Programs and Services.
- Coordination with the University Business Office and the U.S. Department
of Education concerning accounting and budgeting matters.