se Lake Superior State University :: Registrar's Office :: Veterans and Active Duty Educational Benefits
    Redefining the Classroom

Veterans Educational Benefits and Services

Nicole Parker, M.S.,
Assistant Registrar, Department of Veterans Affairs Certifying Official  
Email:, Telephone: (906)635-2696

Information provided by Lake Superior State University & the Department of Veteran's Affairs

NEW Veteran Students

If you will be starting classes at Lake Superior State University for the first time in a future semester and have not used GI Bill® Educational benefits before at any institution of higher learning.

Veteran Transfer Students

If you will be starting classes at Lake Superior State University for the first time in a future semester and have used GI Bill® Educational benefits before at any institution of higher learning.

Enrollment Certification - VA Course Certification Request Form

Educational Benefits:

GI Bill® Educational Benefits

The links below provide information about Veterans educational benefits. For more information regarding individual eligibility for these and other educational benefits, please contact the VA Educational Hotline at 1-888-442-4551 or visit the website at LSSU's VA Certifying Official cannot determine a veteran’s eligibility for benefits.

Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty
Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®
Chapter 1606 Montgomery Bill Selected Reserve
Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Chapter 35 Dependents Education Assistance Program & Children of Veterans Tuition Application
The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship


Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)
22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chatpers 30, 33, 1606, 1607, and TOE)
22-5495 Dependant's Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35)
Joint Services Transcript (JST)
VA Course Certification Request (LSSU)

National Guard Members

This educational opportunity is available to all active drilling Michigan National Guard members eligible under National Guard Federal Tuition Assistance. Essentially, the program takes the stipend you receive through the National Guard Federal Tuition Assistance program, which is intended to partially cover the costs of taking college courses, and accepts that stipend as full payment for tuition. Please print the Michigan Army & Air National Guard Verification Form.

Coast Guard Members

Please contact Mr. Brian Streichert, ESO, Sector Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan. Telephone: (906)635-3355, email:

LSSU Resources:

Counseling Services
Disability Services
Financial Aid
Learning Center
Transfer Credit

Additional Resources:

Transferability of Educational Benefits Summary
The information sheet associated with this link briefly outlines eligibility and how to transfer educational benefits to dependents and/or spouses. 
W.A.V.E. - Verify Monthly Enrollment
Once classes begin, Chapter 30 and/or Selected Reserves (1606) students must confirm enrollment on/or after the last day of each month. This link connects with Veteran's Affairs 'WAVE' (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment).
Michigan Veterans Trust Fund (MVTF)
This is a program used when an unforeseen situation has caused a temporary financial emergency or hardship that a grant, if approved, would resolve and the applicant can show that they will be able to meet future expenses.
Chippewa-Luce-Mackinac Community Action Housing Resource Specialist, Lonny Bourque, 906-632-3363,
Chippewa County Department of Veteran Affairs
Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA)
Michigan Department of Military & Veterans Affairs
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

American Legion
American Veterans
Disabled American Veterans
Paralyzed Veterans of America

National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, St. Louis
For a Military Veteran or next-of-kin of a deceased, former member of the military to order a copy of military records. These records may include: a DD214-using Standard Form 180 or obtain essential military records of a deceased next-of-kin for potential Chapter 35 students.  

The Department of Veterans Affairs Chapter 36 - Education and Career Counseling program offers a great opportunity for transitioning Servicemembers, Veterans, and eligible family members to get personalized counseling and support to guide their career paths, ensure most effective use of their VA Education benefits, and achieve their goals. Their Fact Sheet outlines the beneift and the 28-8832 Educational/Vocational Counseling Application will start the process. For additional questions or help, contact the VA by calling the nationwide toll free number, 1-800-827-1000.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at