Lake Superior State University
Lake Superior State University
Related Sites


Alum Success

Loralei Premo

Loralei Premo '07
Biology Major

Communications and SPC Administrator, Drinking Source Water Protection Division of the Sault Ste. Marie Region Conservation Authority (Ontario)

"Most natural science classes at LSSU offer students as much hands-on experience (lab hours) as lecture hours, which ensures that the university experience prepares us for the real world careers, whether you work at a desk or out in the field, or both. There are endless advantages and opportunities available to LSSU students due to its location on an international border.

I found my career path on campus when my advisor posted a job for the Bi-national Public Advisory Council (BPAC), a group dedicated to and overseeing the clean-up the St. Mary's River. I was able to gain experience and network on both sides of the border, ultimately finding full-time employment before I graduated with my biology degree."

Study Abroad


Power of Attorney (pdf)

Power of Attorney

Do I need a Power of Attorney while I am studying abroad?
The Study Abroad Office recommends that all students studying abroad select a person to take care of their financial affairs while they are out of the country. This is done by assigning a Power of Attorney. Some instances when a Power of Attorney may be necessary are:

  • to receive checks made payable to you for educational expenses
  • to sign and deposit checks made payable to you
  • to handle issues related to your financial assistance
  • to access information in your student account and/or financial assistance files
  • to process banking transactions
  • to process insurance transactions
  • to pay bills

What are the steps to assigning a Power of Attorney?
Assigning a Power of Attorney is a legal process that involves the drafting of a document which assigns another person to act as your legal representative in specific situations. To arrange a Power of Attorney, complete this form (pdf)and then have your signature notarized. Note: the Power of Attorney document must be signed by you in the presence of a Notary Public.

What is a Notary Public?
A Notary Public is a person who has been designated by the government to confirm that a document is legal. Most banks and post offices provide this service. We also provide this service on campus by visiting the Human Resource Office or Scott Korb in the Housing Office.

Who should I ask to be my Power of Attorney?
You should select a person you consider trustworthy to make decisions in your best interest and sign on your behalf. Most students select a parent, significant other, or long-term friend. A casual acquaintance is NOT recommended. University staff may NOT act or your behalf. Always ask the individual before appointing them as your Power of Attorney.

For what period of time should I have a Power of Attorney?
If you plan to travel prior to and/or after your study abroad experience, the Power of Attorney should include the entire time you plan to be away.

How far in advance should I begin arranging for Power of Attorney?
You should take care of arranging your Power of Attorney well in advance of your departure. Give the completed and notarized original document to your Power of Attorney and keep a photocopy for yourself.

Home » Power of Attorney
Share this page with your friends: