Assessment and Learning in Knowledge Spaces
When you first login to ALEKS®, you will be taken through a brief tutorial on how to use the program. You will then be given an assessment to determine your current level of course knowledge. Once the assessment is complete, ALEKS® will develop a pie chart that represents which topics have been mastered and which ones you are ready to learn. You select the topic to study and ALEKS® generates practice problems that teach the selected topic. Complete explanations and step-by-step procedures for solving each problem are available. When you consistently choose the correct answers, ALEKS® considers the topic learned. Your pie chart is then updated and you can move on to the next topic.
Which LSSU courses can I take through ALEKS®?
Courses in ALEKS® are aligned with the following LSSU courses:
- MATH 087
- MATH 088
- MATH 102
Upon completion of an ALEKS® course, a departmental test is taken with Testing Services in order to meet the prerequisite. For example, once you complete MATH 088 in ALEKS® and pass the test with Testing Services, you will be allowed to enroll in BIOL 121, MATH 102, or any other classes you need to take that have MATH 088 as a prerequisite.
Is ALEKS® right for me?
If you can answer “YES” to each of these statements, ALEKS® may work well for you.
- When rating my skills using a computer, I would say I’m comfortable, competent, and a frequent user.
- I think I’m someone who often gets things done ahead of time.
- When I get directions for an assignment or project, I like to figure out the instructions on my own or try to follow the directions, asking for help if necessary.
- I like to get feedback on my work right away.
- The amount of time I have to work on an online course is about six to ten hours a week.
- As a reader, I would classify myself as good; I usually understand a text without help.
How to register for ALEKS®
You will need two codes to register for ALEKS®: an access code and a course code.
Purchase an ALEKS® access code from the Barnes and Noble Bookstore at LSSU. If you are uncertain as to which code to purchase, please see the ALEKS® Coordinator in LBR 241 first or call (906) 635-2366. Recommended access time to purchase:
- 6 weeks – for students who need to complete one course
- 11 weeks – for students who need to complete two courses
- 18 weeks – for students who need to complete three courses
Students are welcome to purchase an access code for longer than the recommended time – you decide the pace in ALEKS®.
Bring your receipt to the ALEKS Coordinator in LBR 241 to receive your course code and a brief orientation to using ALEKS®.
- PC: Pentium or equivalent processor. Minimum 64MB RAM. Windows 98 or higher.
- Macintosh: PowerMac or iMac with a minimum of 64MB RAM. Mac OS 10.3 or higher.
- Internet access is required.