Fall 2020 Virtual Career Fair
October 1, 2020 – 9 am – 4 pm
Register here for our Career Fair on Thursday, October 1, 2020
Before the Virtual Career Fair:
- Register ahead of time: Register early to prevent any last-minute hiccups before the career fair. This will allow you to see which employers are participating in the fair.
- Research participating organizations: If you want to make a good impression with a recruiter, you need to be prepared. Review the organizations attending the career fair to get an idea of some of the companies you’d like to meet with. Make a list of questions to ask the recruiter.
- Prepare your resume: You will need to provide your resume to any employers you meet with. CCN allows you to upload your resume to your account so it is accessible to any employers you meet with at the career fair. Have your resume reviewed by Career Services to make sure it is spotless!The same goes for your social media accounts. Make sure you present yourself as a professional.
- Practice your pitch: You should be ready to introduce yourself and to answer questions like these without hesitation.How will you introduce yourself? Why are you interested in the company? What types of positions are you seeking? How is your previous work experience relevant? What do you plan on asking the representatives at the virtual career fair?
- Make sure your technology is ready to go: Test your equipment and devices the day before the fair to make sure everything is working and to avoid last minute problems. Remember that smartphones are not as reliable as a laptop or desktop; headphones may help you get better audio reception.
During the Virtual Career Fair:
- Wear a professional outfit: While many employers at a virtual career fair will primarily use the chat function, some employers may wish to speak with you face to face. Use this opportunity to make a powerful impression by looking professional and presentable.
- Attend from a distraction-free environment: A quiet location is ideal—and camera capabilities mean that you’ll want to ensure it’s distraction-free for employers. Find a quiet, clean and well-lit space to attend from.
- Be ready to put yourself out there: At virtual career fairs, it’s all the more important to exert yourself to make connections. Once an employer engages you in a chat, the ball is in your court to introduce yourself and ask questions about the organization and open positions. Your confidence will help you get to the next step.
- Use clear, professional business communication: Being a virtual career fair, much of your communication will be done through written interactions in the chat function of the platform. Use proper grammar and do not use slang, text lingo or emoticons.
- Demonstrate strong body language in video chats: Just like in a traditional career fair, you’ll want to present yourself as a confident and competent job seeker. One way that employers pick up on this is through your body language. If you’re on a video chat with a recruiter at the virtual career fair, you’ll want to stay conscious of your body language.
- Ask for next steps and contact information: When talking to recruiters at the career fair, don’t hesitate to be forward and offer to send a copy of your resume. You can also ask about the next steps in the process—whether that means getting in touch with human resources, filling out a job application or sitting down for a formal interview.Before parting ways with a recruiter, be sure to take down their contact information. Some employers may have it uploaded and accessible within the virtual career fair platform. If not, ask how you can stay in touch. You’ll need this information for following up after the virtual career fair.
After the Career Fair
- Reach out the next day with a thank you: Whether it’s an email, phone call or hand-written thank-you note, be sure to reach out to the recruiters you met with, thanking them for their time and further expressing your interest in their company.
Contact Information for Career Fair
- Geralyn Narkiewicz, Career Services Coordinator
- Phone: 906-635-2228