Faculty: 111 full-time faculty
Class size: 70% have fewer than 30 students.
Student/faculty ratio: 17:1
Where we're from: 68% Michigan residents. 15% Ontario residents, 17% out-of-state.
Study abroad: Available anywhere in the world.
Student organizations: More than 60, including a free-format student-run radio station (WLSO 90.1 FM).
Residence halls: Living options include traditional residence halls, suites, furnished apartments, two-story
furnished townhouses, and historic houses. High-Speed Internet is provided in each unit.
Academic calendar: Semester system; fall and spring. Summer session; May, June and July.
Financial aid: More than 83% of LSSU students receive assistance.
Placement: 86% of graduates have obtained a job or have been accepted to graduate school within 180 days. 100% placement for engineering and nursing majors.
Welcome Future Laker Parents!
Books and Guides
Here is a list of books and guides that can be helpful, especially during this time of your life.
Note: This list is by no means comprehensive nor does it suggest that the items included are recommended or endorsed by LSSU.
- A New Chapter: How Parents Fit Into Their Students’ Lives at College, 8-page pamphlet published by PaperClip Communications
- 133 Ways to Avoid Going Cuckoo When the Kids Fly the Nest: A Parent’s Guide for Surviving the Empty Nest Syndrome, Lauren Schaffer and Sandy Fleischl Wasserman (2001)
- Almost Grown: Launching Your Child from High School to College, 2 nd Ed., Patricia Pasick (1998)
- Becoming a Wise Parent for Your Grown Child: How to Give Love and Support Without Meddling, Ph.D. Betty Frain and Eileen M. Clegg (1997)
- Caring for the Mind: The Comprehensive Guide to Mental Health, Dianne Hales and Robert E. Hales (1995)
- The College Parent's Guide To Savings...Of Time, Money & Aggravation, Elaine Cloonan Osmanski (2000)
- Don’t Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years, Helen E. Johnson and Christine Schelhas-Miller (2000)
- Empty Nest…Full Heart: The Journey from Home to College, Andrea Van Steenhouse (2002)
- Empty-Nest Parenting: Adjusting Your Stewardship As Your Children Leave Home, Richard M. Eyre, Linda Eyre and Saren Eyre Loosli (2002)
- The Empty Nest: When Children Leave Home, Shelley Bovey (1995)
- Give Them Wings, Carol Kuykendall (1998)
- Helping Your First-Year College Student Succeed: A Guide for Parents, Richard H. Mullendore (2000, out of print, limited availability)
- How to Survive and Thrive in an Empty Nest: Reclaiming Your Life When Your Children Have Grown, Jeanette Lauer, Robert Lauer and Robert H. Lauer (1999)
- In Addition to Tuition: The Parents' Survival Guide to Freshman Year of College, Marian Edelman Borden, Mary Anne Burlinson, and Elsie R. Kearns (1995)
- The Launching Years: Strategies for Parenting from Senior to College Life, Laura Kastner and Jennifer Fugett Wyatt (2002)
- Let the Journey Begin: A Parent’s Monthly Guide to the College Experience, Jacqueline MacKay and Wanda Ingram (2001)
- Letting Go: A Parents’ Guide to Understanding the College Years, 4 th Ed., Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treeger (2003)
- A New Beginning: A Survival Guide for Parents of College Freshmen, Kaye Bernard and M.Ed McGarry (2001)
- Parenting Your Adult Child: How You Can Help Them Achieve Their Full Potential, Ross Campbell, Gary Chapman and Gary D. Chapman (1999)
- She’s Leaving Home: Letting Go As Daughter Goes to College, Connie Jones (2002)
- Smart-Start: A Survival Guide for First Year College Students (and Their Parents, Too), CD-ROM by College Survival Guides (2004)
- The Ultimate College Survival Guide, Janet Farrar Worthington and Ronald T. Farrar (1998)
- When Kids Go to College: A Parents Guide to Changing Relationships, Barbara M. Newman and Philip R. Newman (1992)
- When Your Kid Goes to College; A Parent's Survival Guide, Carol Barkin (1999)
- You're on Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring your Child During the College Years, Marjorie Savage (2003)
Books for Parents to Give to Their Students
- As You Leave Home: Parting Thoughts from a Loving Parent, Jerry B. Jenkins (1998)
- Beating the College Blues, Paul Grayson, Paul A. Grayson, Phil Meilman and Philip W. Meilman (1999)
- Been There, Should've Done That II : More Tips for Making the Most of College, Suzette Tyler (2001)
- College 101 : The Book Your College Does Not Want You To Read, Guy Stevens and Frank Halub (Illustrator) (1998)
- College Rules!: How to Study, Survive and Succeed in College, Sherrie L. Nist, Jodi Patrick Holschuh and Sherrie Nist (2002)
- Confessions of a College Freshman: A Survival Guide for Dorm Life, Biology Lab, the Cafeteria, and Other First-Year Adventures, Zach Arrington (2001)
- The Everything College Survival Book; From Social Life to Study Skills-Everything You Need To Know To Fit Right In-Before You're a Senior!, Jason Rich (1997)
- Getting Ready for College : Everything You Need to Know Before You GoFrom Bike Locks to Laundry Baskets, Financial Aid to Health Care, Polly Berent and The Princeton Review (2003)
- How to Survive Your Freshman Year (Hundreds of Heads Survival Guide), Hundreds of Heads (Editor) (2004)
- Navigating Your Freshman Year (Students Helping Students series), Allison Lombardo (2003)
- The Naked Roommate: And 107 Other Issues You Might Run Into in College, Harlan Cohen (2005)
- The Real Freshman Handbook: A Totally Honest Guide to Life on Campus, Jennifer Hanson (2002)
- Where's Dad Now That I Need Him, Kent P. Frandsen (2003)
- Where's Mom Now That I Need Her: Surviving Away from Home, Kathryn J. Frandsen, Kent P. Frandsen and Betty Rae Frandsen (2003)