Criminal Justice - Criminalistics: Bachelor of Science
This emphasis is designed for students preparing for professional positions with state, federal or private crime labs. This emphasis provides the student with the knowledge and skills needed to be a field investigator/re-constructionist or a lab technician. This emphasis incorporates courses from criminal justice and chemistry to achieve the needed education. This emphasis allows students to obtain a chemistry minor as part of their degree. This emphasis also includes all of the required courses to allow students to attend the LSSU Skills Completion Academy which in combination allows students to be licensed by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES). Students who graduate from this program and successfully complete the State Licensing exam are qualified for direct placement in Michigan police agencies. Many out of state agencies also recognize the MCOLES academy training.
Major Requirements ( 84-85 Credits)
- CJUS101 Intro. to Criminal Justice 3
- CJUS102 Police Process 3
- CJUS197 Physical Fitness for Public Safety* 2
- CJUS201 Firearms Training 1
- CJUS243 Investigation 3
- CJUS319 Substantive Criminal Law 3
- CJUS321 Ethical Issues in Public Safety 3
- CJUS401 Senior Seminar 3
- CJUS402 Criminal Justice Internship 3-9
- CJUS409 Procedural Criminal Law 3
- CJUS411 Police Operations*** 5
- CJUS444 Criminalistics 4
- CHEM115 General Chemistry I 5
- CHEM116 General Chemistry II 5
- CHEM225 Organic Chemistry I 4
- CHEM226 Organic Chemistry II 4
- CHEM231 Quantitative Analysis 4
- CHEM251 Introductory Biochemistry 4
- CHEM332 Instrumental Analysis 4
- EMED189 Medical First Responder 3
- MATH112 Calculus for Business & Life Sciences** 4
- PHYS221 Principles of Physics I 4
- PHYS222 Principles of Physics II 4
Statistics: Choose one of the following:
- CJUS345 Statistics and Design for Public Safety 4
- MATH207 Principles of Statistical Methods 3
- PSYC210 Statistics 3
- SOCY302 Statistics for Social Science 4
Support Courses (17 cr)
- POLI110 Intro. to American Government and Politics 4
- PSYC101 Intro. to Psychology 4
- POLI120 Introduction Legal Processes 3
- PSYC259 Abnormal Psychology 3
- SOCY214 Criminology 3
***Complete CJUS411 for certification. Non-certification majors will complete CJUS313.
Canadian students may substitute POLI160 for POLI110.
Canadian students do not take CJUS197 or EMED189. These are replaced by advisor-approved electives.
Canadian students may substitute CJUS202 and CJUS406 for CJUS319 and CJUS409.
MCOLES Certification: Students complete CJUS197 (2 cr), CJUS409, CJUS411, CJUS444, and EMED189. These six courses are required by the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards to be taken by students during their last year at LSSU. CJUS197 will be taken both semesters. In addition, students desiring MCOLES certification must also complete a summer Skills Completion program. See the MCOLES Director for details.
General Education: All LSSU bachelor's degree candidates must complete the LSSU general education core requirements, or have earned the MACRAO Stamp (Michigan Community College transfer students), or have completed the general education certification (Sault College transfer students), or have already earned a bachelor's degree (honors bachelor degree from a Canadian University).