College of Criminal Justice and Emergency Responders
School of Criminal Justice, Fire Science and Emergency Services
It is the mission of the fire science program faculty and staff to provide an atmosphere where active learning may occur, to provide students with the highest quality educational experience, to continue to support the “professional model” as currently utilized, to become appropriate role models for students, to support the educational program by acquiring the appropriate equipment and supplies, to fulfill the advising role, and to assess the academic outcomes of the program.
- Provide students with a broad-based, liberal education.
- Provide students with the skills necessary to perform as twenty-first century fire fighters.
- Assist students with their development of a set of professional ethics.
- Assist students in the development of their critical thinking skills.
- Assist students with the development of their writing skills.
- Provide an educational atmosphere where active learning may occur.
- Encourage life long learning.
- Assess the educational outcomes of the program.
The fire science programs allow you a unique opportunity to receive state certification in a number of areas. You may obtain Firefighter I and II Michigan certifiability, and Wildland Firefighting certification (USFS S130, S190, and I220).
The following certificates may also be awarded: Hazardous Material Operations Level, and the 40 hour Emergency Response Technician – HAZWOPER (29CFR 1910.120).
Director of Marketing Communications, Webmaster and Web Accessibility Coordinator
Brown Hall 25A
Director of Library/Academic Services and Web Accessibility Coordinator
Accessibility Services Coordinator
Lake Superior State University is committed to making reasonable accommodations related to its facilities, programs, or services for qualifying students, staff, faculty, and campus guests with disabilities as required by applicable laws. If any programming or activity is scheduled in an inaccessible space, requests for relocation shall be made to the Human Resources office at 906-635-2213, if possible, 48 hrs prior to the event. View Accessibility Statement Details