LSSU Scholarship Renewal Requirements
Congratulations on receiving a Lake Superior State University scholarship. If your scholarship was offered to you as a “renewable” award, it is important that you have met the criteria listed below each spring when your eligibility is reviewed for the next year.
General renewal requirements include:
- Board of Trustees Freshman merit scholarship: 2.75 LSSU cumulative GPA
- Full-Tuition Scholarships: 3.00 LSSU cumulative GPA
- Full-time enrollment each semester; must earn 24 LSSU credits each academic year.
- Awarded up to 8 consecutive semesters or until 1st Bachelor’s Degree is earned, whichever is first. Students in their teaching internship semester may be eligible to receive a 9th semester renewal.
- Awarded for Fall and Spring semesters only, not available for use in summer semesters.
- To receive the on-campus component of any scholarship, you must be in the on-campus housing program for the semester. If you leave on-campus housing, the room and board award will be terminated.
NOTE: Scholarships and other institutional funds provided as grants or scholarships or stipends for campus R&B students, will not exceed the basic rate cost of housing and board. This includes RA Grant, LSSU Supplemental Grant, the LSSU Housing Grant and all room and board components of Board of Trustees scholarships.
- Students at LSSU Regional Centers and meet consortium agreement requirements, if enrolled at least half-time (6+ credits) at LSSU, may use a semester of eligibility at a prorated amount.
- Must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress policy requirements.
- Formula to determine the maximum number of semesters of eligibility:
- Senior (88+ credits) = Two semesters of eligibility
- Junior (56-87 credits) = Four semesters of eligibility
- Freshman/Sophomore (12-55 credits) = Six semesters of eligibility
- Length is based on number of ATTEMPTED credits prior to LSSU
Note: Some types of financial aid awards, such as an employee rebate, the Native American Tuition Waiver, or the Tuition Incentive Program, could affect your eligibility for an LSSU scholarship. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further details.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Full tuition scholarships are limited to 12-17 credits per semester for the academic year and do NOT include any special course fees, program fees, media fees, etc.
- Full tuition scholarships can not be combined with tuition waivers, such as Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver or Employee Rebates.
- Recipients of donor-funded scholarships are encouraged to write thank you letters to the donors and may be invited to special donor events.
- Departmental scholarship recipients must notify the Financial Aid Office if changing their major course of study to determine the affect on their award!