Living Areas and Residency Policy

Living Areas

Living on campus at Lake Superior State University, you’ll have the chance to make long-lasting friendships and to become involved in a wide variety of University activities. Freshmen and sophomore students are required to live on campus.

Though not required, juniors and seniors may choose to live on campus, too. All housing on LSSU’s campus is within a five-minute walk of all campus facilities, including the dining hall, library, Student Activity Center and Barnes & Noble at Lake Superior State University.

  • Brady Hall – Men’s residence hall for freshmen.
  • Osborn Hall – Women’s residence hall for freshmen (large side) with limited availability to upper-class women and men (small side).
  • Village – Open to students out of high school 15 months (traditional sophomores and above).
  • Apartments – Open to students out of high school 27 months (traditional juniors and seniors).
  • Townhouses – Open to students out of high school 27 months (traditional juniors and seniors).
  • Living Learning Communities – Open to students out of high school 15 months (traditional upper-class students). Exceptions for certain academic programs apply.  New for 2018 – Global Learning Community in the Village (application coming soon!)
Brady Hall
Osborn Hall
The Village
Upperclass Housing
Living Learning Communities

If you are a full-time student within 27 calendar months of the date of your high school graduation, you are required to live on campus. For this purpose, “full-time” means enrolled for 12 or more credit hours, and all graduation dates will be assumed to be June 1 of any given year.

The following are exceptions to this policy:

  • if you live with your parents within a 60-mile or three-county (Chippewa, Luce, and Mackinac) radius of the main campus;
  • if residence hall space is filled; or,
  • if you have an unusual financial or health problem and are excused from living on campus by the Associate Director or Director of Campus Life and Housing

To claim any of these exemptions or special circumstances, you need to:

  • get a HOUSING EXCEPTION APPLICATION from the Campus Life and Housing Office;
  • receive permission from the Associate Director or Director of Campus Life and Housing.

Housing Application Procedure

All students who are required or requested to live in campus housing must complete the HOUSING APPLICATION (PDF) and return it to the Campus Life and Housing Office. The date we receive your application and payment establishes your priority. Every effort will be made to accommodate your request; however, decisions are based on space availability. Private and low-occupancy rooms are extremely limited in certain areas.  Private rooms or apartments may be available on a limited basis at an additional charge.

Supplying Your Living Area

Turn your room into a comforting home away from home with the Residence Hall Linens program. Housing has partnered with Residence Hall Linens for several years to provide our students and families with a convenient, affordable way to ensure you have everything you need for life on campus. The extra long sheets and bedding products are guaranteed to fit all of the beds on campus, and there are matching towels and even storage items available to help make the transition to college life easier. All products are guaranteed until graduation, and shipping is free for all Value Pak orders. Parents and students who have taken advantage of this opportunity in previous years recommend placing your order early since popular colors and patterns can sell out quickly.  Please visit the RHL website or call (800) 957-4338.

Don’t forget, our mattresses are TWIN XL.

Residency Assignment Policy

Residency Assignments

  1. Brady Hall – all male with one, two and four-person rooms. Preference is given to students who are out of high school for less than 15 months. Upper-class men may apply. Brady is a substance-free building, including alcohol.
  2. Osborn Hall – all female on the freshman side with two-person rooms. Preference is given to students who are out of high school for less than 15 months. Upper-class women and men may apply. Osborn is a substance-free building, including alcohol.
  3. Village – suite-style units for up to eight people of the same gender. Both men and women live in the Village, and preference is given to students who are out of high school for more than 15 months and less than 27 months. Upper-class students may apply. Student Village is substance-free, including alcohol.  New for 2018 is a Global Learning Community that will accommodate males and females in the same suite.
  4. Townhouses – house up to four people of the same gender and are for men and women who are out of high school for more than 27 months.
  5. Row Houses – Ontario Hall, Laker Hall, Chippewa House, Huron Hall, Erie Hall (two- to four-person rooms) — Lake Superior State University offers a variety of residential living-learning communities that allow students with similar academic interests or career goals to live and study together in community.
  6. Moloney Hall – one, two, and three bedroom apartments that house two to six people of the same gender. Men and women who are out of high school for more than 27 months live in Moloney Hall. Older residents have priority. A premium is charged for all single occupancy apartments.
  7. Neveu Hall – one-bedroom apartments that house two people of the same gender. Men and women who are out of high school for more than 27 months live in Neveu Hall. Older residents have priority. A premium is charged for all single occupancy apartments.

*All areas of the residence halls are tobacco free.  Violation of this policy will result in disciplinary sanctions.

Damage Deposit

A deposit of $150 is required prior to check-in and is refunded after leaving the residence hall system, providing the unit is left damage free.

Private Room Option

Private rooms or apartments may be available on a limited basis at an additional charge.

Meal Plan

Selected on the Housing and Dining Contract which will be mailed with the assignment letter. If the contract is not returned, or meal plan is not selected before statements are processed, the 180 meal plan will be selected. Meal plan changes may be made once during each semester by visiting the ID Desk located on the second floor of the Walker Cisler University Center.

Room Sign-Up

Each spring you will be given the opportunity to sign up at a pre-announced time (usually in February/March) and place for your desired housing assignment for the next year. You need to be eligible to live in the housing unit for which you sign up. There are two ways that you can lose this assignment: 1) by not turning in a housing application to Campus Life and Housing before the halls close in May and 2) by not making your first room and board payment by the specified date (June 1st for fall). However, due to the fact that Campus Life and Housing must sometimes make some necessary changes, room assignments are not guaranteed.

Room Change Policy and Protocol

Campus Life and Housing believes that part of the college experience includes living in a community with people of various backgrounds and interests. Our goal is that all students will learn and grow from the experience of living with people different from themselves. Campus Life and Housing requests that all residents give their roommate assignments a chance and to please follow the protocol below when dealing with roommate challenges and concerns and to keep in mind that a roommate change should not be the first consideration when issues arise.


  • Discuss/communicate in a calm matter what your concern is with your roommate(s)
  • Revisit your roommate agreement with your roommate(s)
  • Contact your Resident Advisor for advice or assistance or to even sit in on a meeting or mediation
  • Contact your Residence Hall Coordinator for further assistance and to discuss further action
  • If no progress is made through the above protocol, please visit your Residence Hall Coordinator or Campus Life and Housing for a ROOM CHANGE application form.

If you have any further questions please contact Campus Life and Housing at x2411.

There are two periods of time during which you can request to change your room assignment. Room changes will be considered during the third and fourth weeks of the semester and again the week before halls close for the fall semester.

Room changes will only be considered at other times in the semester for extraordinary reasons. We need to know where all resident students are living at all times, so no moves are to be made until Campus Life and Housing has approved the room change.

If you want to change your room, you need to follow these procedures:

  1. Obtain a Room Change Request Form from Campus Life and Housing
  2. Complete the form with the required information
  3. Obtain the necessary signatures on the form
  4. Return the completed form to Campus Life and Housing for approval
  5. If approved, you will be given Room Condition Sheets for both your old and new rooms. You then need to officially check out of your old room and check into your new room with the help of your RA.
  6. Return the new Room Condition Sheet to Campus Life and Housing within three (3) business days after you receive approval to move. You will then be issued a key.

Room Check-In and Check-Out Procedure


You can begin the check-in procedure by picking up your check-in packet at the designated check-in site. When you get to your room, you’ll find a mattress pad on your bed. You need to return this pad to Campus Life and Housing when you leave the residence halls. If you change rooms at any time, take the pad with you.

As part of check-in, each room will have a Room Condition Sheet. You should check this form over very carefully before you sign it. It is your responsibility to record damages the Campus Life and Housing staff may have missed. These sheets record the exact condition of the room when you move in. You will only be held responsible for any damages that occur to the room after you move into it. At the beginning of the semester, the RA will return the sheet to Campus Life and Housing. It is your responsibility to have your room condition sheets returned to your RA within the first week of school. At any other time during the semester, it is your responsibility to return your room condition sheets to Campus Life and Housing. The information on the sheet must be confirmed by your RA with his/her signature or initials.


It is very important that you complete the check out procedure below when you are leaving the residence halls. If you do not, Campus Life and Housing cannot refund your damage deposit or any prorated room and board, and you will continue to be charged room and board until your check out is completed. Students will be charged $25 for improper checkout.

Here are the steps that you need to follow to check out.

  1. Fill out an Intent to Leave Form in Campus Life and Housing. If you are moving off campus, be sure the form is received by Campus Life and Housing at least two charge or service weeks before your departure date to reduce your early termination fee to $500.
  2. Be sure to schedule your room check out with your RA in advance of your leaving.
  3. Take all of your personal belongings out of the room. Anything that you leave in the room after your official date of occupancy will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of.
  4. If you or a roommate are taking responsibility for a damage, the individual whom caused the damage must fill out the Damage Responsibility Form with roommates, noting any changes to the information. Be sure to leave the room in good condition. Have the RA sign the Damage Responsibility Form.
  5. Take your completed Room Condition / Inventory Sheets, mattress cover, and room keys to Campus Life and Housing.
  6. Give your forwarding address to Campus Life and Housing so that it can forward your mail, and let the Registrar’s Office know of any address changes.
  7. If you are withdrawing from the University, complete all necessary procedures before your departure at the Registrar’s Office.

If you are leaving at the end of the academic year, you only need to complete steps 1-6.

Health and Safety

Public Safety (Security)

Medical Emergencies

If there is an emergency, please call 911 from an off-campus phone, or (9-911) from a campus phone. (Off-campus calls from an on-campus phone require you to dial a 9 first.)

Drugs or Illegal Substances

The possession, use, sale, distribution or manufacture of any illegal substance is prohibited in any building or on any property owned and/or controlled by the University. Violators will be subject to disciplinary and/or legal action, that will result in removal from University housing and possible dismissal from Lake Superior State University.

Electrical, Telephone and Fire Detecting Systems

A minimum $50 fine will be assessed to any individual changing or otherwise tampering with University-owned electrical, telephone or fire detecting systems.

Entry and Search Procedures

Lake Superior State University recognizes and respects the rights of its students to have privacy with respect to their personal belongings. The University also recognizes its responsibility to protect the health and safety of all members of the University community. The University (represented by a RA/CA or other
appropriate official) reserves the right to enter University rooms and apartments under any of the following circumstances:

  1. When there is an immediate threat to the health and safety of the occupants or the University property,
  2. With permission of a resident,
  3. With a search warrant,
  4. By University personnel in the course of utilizing recognized legal authority of their responsibilities as University employees,
  5. By residence hall or public safety staff when there is a probable cause to believe that a University regulation has been broken or where there is a specific indication of danger in a student room or apartment,
  6. By University personnel and their designated agents for repair, replacement or inspection of University property,
  7. By an RA/CA to complete closing and check-out procedures,
  8. Health and Safety inspections,
  9. During routine fire drills and scheduled inspections, or
  10. During non-residency periods, such as between semesters, rooms are the sole property of the University and not the residents. University staff will conduct routine inspections and maintenance activities from time to time. The University reserves the right to remove from the room, without the resident’s permission, any objects or materials which constitute a health or safety hazard or are the property of the University. The University does not assume responsibility for items of a personal nature that are damaged, lost or stolen.

Firefighting Equipment and Fire Drill Procedures

Fire alarms, extinguishers and smoke detectors are placed in University housing for your protection against fires. It is against the law (Michigan Comp. Laws Section 16607) to use them for any other purpose. If it is determined that tampering has occurred, disciplinary action will be taken that may include, but may not be limited to, fines, expulsion from housing, etc. Health and safety inspections will be made on a regular basis throughout the year.

Residents discharging a fire extinguisher needlessly, turning on false fire alarms, or tampering with smoke detectors and/or fire alarms will face serious disciplinary action by the University as well as possible action by state and federal officials. A minimum of $50 is assessed. Violations of this nature could result in termination of campus residence and/or expulsion from Lake Superior State University.

When a fire extinguisher has been discharged, please report it immediately to your RA/CA, custodians, public safety or to Campus Life and Housing.

Escort Policy

Escort hours for Brady Hall and Osborn Hall are 10pm-10am on Sunday-Thursday and 12am-10am on Friday and Saturday. If you are not a resident of these buildings you must be accompanied by a resident of the building during these hours.

Fire Drill Evacuations

Public Safety performs periodic fire drills in residential housing throughout the year. At the sound of the fire alarm vacate the room/apartment and the building immediately. Move quietly and orderly out the nearest exit and away from the building at least 50 feet beyond the outside door to the designated meeting area for your building.

The building should not be re-occupied until an authorized all-clear signal is given. You can then re-enter the building. This process is easiest if everyone moves quietly and orderly back through the same door, that they left the building.

For your own safety and that of everyone else in the building, you are required to comply with all fire drills. Anyone not evacuating a building will face disciplinary action.

Fire Evacuation Locations

  • Brady Hall – between Brady Hall and the Administration Building
  • Osborn Hall – between Osborn Hall and the Campus Shop (Barnes and Noble)
  • Student Village – North side of Campus Shop (Barnes and Noble) between Arts Center and Campus Shop
  • Living Learning Communities – between Kenneth Shouldice Library and Administration Building and/or Northwest corner of F Lot
  • Neveu Hall – across parking S Lot and Neveu Hall
  • Moloney Hall – across parking S Lot and Moloney Hall
  • Townhouses – Southwest corner of parking T Lot
  • Easterday House – Northwest corner of G Lot

Fire Safety

Students are required to comply fully with all University fire safety regulations. All students are to become familiar with the Fire Safety Policy. A Fire Safety Policy booklet is on-line and available to all students.
See The University will conduct inspections from time to time to ensure compliance.

Firearms, Ammunition, and Explosives

Residents who choose to bring any firearms and ammunition to campus must register and check them in at the Public Safety Office located in the Administration building immediately. Firearms, ammunition, explosives, air pistols, blow guns, and bow and arrows of any kind are not permitted in any on-campus housing or any other area of campus at any time. It is illegal to possess a concealed weapon on the campus of LSSU.

More information on Public Safety can be found

University Health Services

Student Health Services

Health care services are available on campus at the LSSU Health CARE Center. The Health CARE Center is located at 621 W. Easterday Ave. across from Brady Hall. The center is staffed by health care professionals. Appointments can be made from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Nursing professionals are available most days between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You may phone the center at 635-2110 (on campus, ext. 2110) anytime during office hours to make an appointment.

Blood-Borne Pathogens

Should any student come in contact with any bodily fluids in a public area or come upon bodily fluids, please contact an HRL staff member or Public Safety immediately so that custodial support can address the situation and minimize the risk of contact with blood-borne pathogens.

Health Insurance

You may still be covered by your parents’ insurance policies. If not, a health and accident policy is available through the Health Care Center, x2110.

Sharps Disposal

For safety, anyone who uses needles, for any reason, is asked to obtain a sharps container from the Health CARE Center. When full, or on a timely basis, they can be returned to the Health CARE Center for disposal and a new container obtained. Individuals who are not eligible for the “Student Health Care Plan” will be assessed a fee for the service.

Health and Safety Resources
Emergencies dial 911 (9-911 from on-campus phones)

Campus Resources

Community Resources

Chippewa County Resources


Escort Policy

Escort hours for Brady Hall and Osborn Hall are 10pm-10am on Sunday-Thursday and 12am-10am on Friday and Saturday. If you are not a resident of these buildings you must be accompanied by a resident of the building during these hours.

Garbage/Trash Disposal

Garbage bags are available free of charge from HRL. Students are expected to package all garbage and trash in plastic bags, tie securely and place inside dumpsters supplied for this purpose. It is the responsibility of the student to dispose of all garbage, including empty cardboard boxes, to the dumpsters. Garbage is not to be left in lobbies, common areas, porches, laundry rooms, hallways, community area garbage cans, etc. for any length of time. Offenders of this policy will be assessed a minimum $25 fine.

Personal Property Insurance

The University is not liable for the loss of money or valuables by any person or for the loss of, or damage to, any resident’s property, or bodily injury sustained on the premises. Your parent’s homeowners insurance policy may cover private property away from home or you can have a rider attached. If not, you may wish to obtain renter’s insurance.

Harassment, Bullying, and Intimidation

In order to succeed personally and academically, all residents must be able to live free from unnecessary emotional stress caused by others. Physical and verbal harassment, including harassment based on race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, religious preference, etc. will not be tolerated in a residence life community. Should a resident be found responsible for harassing, bullying, and/or intimidating another resident, strict disciplinary action will be taken immediately, possibly resulting in removal from on-campus housing.

Witnesses or victims of harassment, bullying, and/or intimidation should report it to a Campus Life staff member or Public Safety immediately.