Redefining the Classroom

Library Jargon

What are periodicals? What is ILL about the library? Read on to find out what these and other frequently used library terms mean.

Audio Visual Center. Located adjacent to the Circulation Desk, the Audio Visual Center offers a number of services including copying tapes and making transparencies. Go there to pay library fines and to turn in Interlibrary Loan requests.

Catalog. The automated library catalog is the equivalent of the old card catalog and is searched to find out what materials the library owns and where they are located. Our catalog is Voyager . We share it with Northern Michigan University, Gogebic Community College, and Finlandia College.

Circulation Desk. The point of contact for many library activities including checking out and returning books and Reserve materials, picking up Interlibrary Loan materials and documents printed from the library computers, and seeking help to library questions when the Reference Desk is unstaffed.

Government Documents. Materials on a variety of topics that the library receives free through the Federal Depository Library Program. Documents are searched in the library Catalog along with other library materials. Hardcopy documents are shelved on the 3rd floor next to the Periodicals while microfiche documents are filed in the Microform area on the main floor.

Interlibrary Loan. A procedure for borrowing books or obtaining articles that the LSSU Library does not own from other libraries.

Library Instruction. Librarians provide instruction on the basics of using the library as well as help in researching materials on a specific topic. Just ask at the Reference Desk.

Microforms. Microfiche or microfilm. The library receives many of its Government Documents on microfiche, and newspapers such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and the Sault Evening News on microfilm. Microform reader/printers are available for accessing these materials.

Periodicals. The library term for magazines. Also called serials. Periodicals are stored on the 3rd floor of the library adjacent to the Government Documents.

Reference Desk. The library "help" desk staffed by Reference Librarians who can aid you in your research, provide help in accessing periodical articles and other materials, show you how to use library equipment, and answer such questions as, "Where are the rest rooms?".

Reference Librarians. Also known as Public Service Librarians, Reference librarians staff the Reference Desk and also provide Library Instruction.

Reserve. Some professors choose to place materials on Reserve where they are readily available to all students in their classes. Reserve materials are located at the Circulation Desk and are restricted to use in the library for a 1-2 hour period except where overnight reserve is indicated.

Technical Services. Not to be confused with the Information Technology Department which handles computer operations, Tech Services is the behind the scenes department responsible for processing library materials and maintaining the automated Catalog. Most library users will have no direct contact with this department.