The study of finance and economics develops the capacity for analytical reasoning and critical thinking, the most important decision making tools in business, government, education, and in your personal life. Organizations need planners and problem-solvers, people who are logical thinkers. Economists and financiers learn to develop accurate information upon which to make decisions from the vast quantities of complex and often conflicting data generated in today’s global economy. Employers hire these professionals because of their abilities for careful analysis, planning and decision making.
This degree program is an excellent preparation for graduate and professional education in such fields as finance, economics, accounting, business administration and law. Graduates may seek professional certification in related professions such as Certified Financial Planner (CFP), Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) and Certified Management
At Lake Superior State University, the finance and economics curriculum teaches students how to:
- Evaluate investment securities to discover those whose market price is either above or below intrinsic value through Investment Strategies. Learning is further enhanced by the opportunity to participate in the Investment Club.
- Use the case method to “step into the shoes” of real life managers to evaluate financial alternatives, and learn the types of problems managers face daily through Financial Policy.
- Evaluate and manage risk in order that firms have the proper incentive to undertake productive yet risky programs through Risk Management and Insurance.
- Design optimal environmental policies and assess new ones through Environmental Economics
- Analyze the benefits, costs, and strategies of international trade through International Economics
- Increase profitability through effective pricing strategies within markets with strategic competitors through Managerial Economics.
- Estimate demand, detect wage discrimination, and estimate reductions in quality, among other empirical exercises through Econometrics.
- Stay ahead of the Federal Reserve’s Monetary Policy through Money and Banking.
- Achieve optimum output and efficiency through government spending programs and tax policy through Public Finance.
LSSU’s Bachelor of Science in Accounting degree is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
The Lukenda School of Business at Lake Superior State University has been granted initial accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), a leading accreditation association in business education. Continue Reading...
Average Starting Salary of a Finance and Economics Major: $55,400.
- Loan Officer
- Investment Banker
- Financial Services Officer
- Financial Analyst
- Business Analyst
- Financial Accountant
- Financial Systems Analyst
- Corporate Banker