Stewards of Nature
Parks and Recreation focuses on human resource management in the outdoor environment including national and state parks. Students are prepared to work in a natural resource oriented profession which combines stewardship of the resource and concurrently encourages people to become informed and able outdoor recreation enthusiasts. This program emphasizes knowledge and skills related to managing natural resources and providing leadership opportunities for outdoor recreation enthusiasts.
- Your "office" is a state or national park!
- Your job changes from day to day
- You get paid to go to work where other people pay to come to play!!
This program emphasizes knowledge and skills related to managing natural resources as providing leadership opportunities for outdoor recreation enthusiasts.
Recreation Club students volunteer to construct a new cross-country ski trail. This exercise gives our students a chance to practice both recreation and natural resource management.
Jessica Brogan, left, works her way up a limestone rock face as fellow student Amy Zeiger manages - or belays - a safety line. Both are in an LSSU recreation class that recently rappelled an abandoned quarry about 25 miles southwest of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. Classes have been going to the Scott Quarry site for seven years, last used to mine limestone about 60 years ago. Brogan is a junior in liberal studies from Brethren, Mich. Zeiger is a senior in psychology from Lansing. (Mary LaVictor)Recreation Club students volunteer to construct a new cross-country ski trail. This exercise gives our students a chance to practice both recreation and natural resource management.
"I think the one thing I enjoyed most about the Parks and Recreation program is that it not only ensures that I can live out my dream of working outdoors, but also it allows me to spend most of my collegiate career learning in those same environments. The program is very hands-on."
Parks and Recreation Graduate,
Alpha Chi National Honor Society Member
- PJ Hoffmaster State Park, Norton Shores, MI
- Huron-Manistee National Forrest, South Branch, MI
- Lansing Community Health, Lansing, MI
- US Fisheries and Wildlife Service
- Dept of Parks & Recreation, Westfield, IN
- Hiawatha East National Forest, St. Ignace, MI
- Lake Mitchell State Park, Cadillac, MI
- Kalamazoo County Parks, Kalamazoo, MI
- Charleston County Parks and Recreation Commission, Charleston, SC
Parks and recreation student Steve Bates takes Abbigail Porter (center) and Alivia Hoornstra through paces on how to use a real compass. Prof. Sally Childs’ parks and recreation students hosted Mrs. Loretta VerHaagh’s fifth grade class from Washington Elementary. Kids rotated between stations that explored navigation the old-fashioned way, such as orienteering with a compass. Bates, a senior from Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., will also graduate with an Associates in natural resources technology.
A semester internship is required for this degree
- BS, Parks & Recreation
- Associates, Natural Resource Technology
Our Parks and Recreation program focuses on human resource management in the outdoor environment including national and state parks.
- Park Ranger
- Outdoor Educator
- Recreation Technician - US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, US Fish and Wildlife Service
- Lead Worker
- Park Manager
- Park Supervisor
Some of our recent graduates:
- Kathleen Harter - Chief Interpreter, Keewenaw National Historic Park, MI
- Ben Dietrick - Supervisor, Island Lake Recreation Area, MI
- Amy Swainston - Resource Analyst, MI DNR
- Jon Spieles, Interpretive Manager, MI DNR
- Kevin Sherreta - Wildland Fires, USFS
- Brandon Fast - Benzie County, MI
- Denise Neahusan - Aurora, CO
- Deborah Stille - Sliver Lake State Park., MI.
"The education I received at LSSU has provided me with a solid foundation on which to start building my current educational goals. I am looking forward to being able to combine my skills as a recreational therapist and as a teacher in working with special education students. Thank-you with providing me with such a good educational experience that has well prepared me for graduate school."
--Kate Marie Gerlach-Brooks
- Starting at $25,000