- Community: Chemistry and Environmental Students are eligible to live in Huron Hall, a living learning community.
- Access to Faculty: The LSSU BioChemistry Program boasts a low student to faculty ratio. The class size in the capstone Advanced Biochemistry class is limited to 15 students. In addition, the course is team taught by faculty with varying areas of specialization.
- Access to Instrumentation: It is imperative that graduates have a strong foundation in the operation of instrumentation. At Lake Superior State University, students are not merely introduced to, but regularly operate instruments such as Q-PCR thermocyclers, ICP-MS, NMR, HPLC, GC-MS and FTIR spectrometers.
- Research: Students in the Biochemistry Program have the opportunity to perform a senior research project under the guidance of a faculty member. Projects are related to the student’s area of focus and culminate in a poster presentation and talk at our Research Symposium. Students have also presented their work at national conferences and been published in peer reviewed journals.
- Internships: Internships are a great opportunity for students to gain experience with methodology, operate instrumentation and acquire job specific skills in your field of study. On campus internships are available during both the academic year and summer in faculty research projects, the Chemical Preparation Laboratory and the Environmental Analysis Laboratory.
- Placement: The Biochemistry Program at LSSU has been successful in maintaining a high placement in summer internships, jobs upon graduation, and seats in graduate and professional schools.
- Accreditation: The Chemistry Department at LSSU is approved by the American Chemical Society. As an ACS-approved program, LSSU is charged with holding and maintaining modern instrumentation, offering a rigorous and coherent program, and employing accomplished faculty which will attract top talent entering college.
See for yourself!
We would enjoy the opportunity to discuss careers in the chemical sciences with you. During a campus visit, be sure to ask to speak with the Chemistry Department. We would like to show you our excellent facilities and take the time to discuss some of the exciting research projects now underway.
Director of Marketing Communications, Webmaster and Web Accessibility Coordinator
Brown Hall 25A
Director of Library/Academic Services and Web Accessibility Coordinator
Accessibility Services Coordinator