Faculty Center for Teaching (FCT)
The LSSU Faculty Center for Teaching (FCT) is designed to facilitate the development of professional learning communities; discussions; seminars and workshops; print and electronic resources for teaching enhanced use of classroom technology; conference participation; and funding for innovative practices through a mini-grant program.
At the FCT, faculty are able to share experiences and knowledge with colleagues with the purpose of improving instruction and advising. Learning communities around topics such as Teaching First Year Students and Advising help facilitate this communication. Faculty members have the opportunity to gain internal certification in areas such as Advising and in Enhancing Student Learning.
The Faculty Center for Teaching is directed by two faculty coordinators with input provided by a work group of faculty from across campus as well as key academic support and advising staff members.
Resources and training materials, such as books, journals, and videos, are housed within the FCT. This enables LSSU to maximize space, centralize resources to support faculty development in teaching and advising, and utilize enhanced technology programs to deliver content for adviser development and training.
THE FCT MISSION
As stated in LSSU’s core values, teaching is our first priority and focuses on providing student/faculty interaction, learning, and research in current, relevant programs. The LSSU Faculty Center for Teaching (FCT) strives for excellence in teaching and learning by:
- Recognizing faculty for making improvements in teaching.
- Facilitating and encouraging learning communities centered around improved instruction and advising.
- Providing resources and training materials related to improved instruction.
- Supporting innovative teaching practices and disseminating results of teaching and learning projects.
- Offering and promoting opportunities for instructional dialogue through seminars, workshops, and conference participation.
In 2013, as part of a Title III proposal, the LSSU Faculty Center for Teaching was established with the goal of providing resources for faculty to improve teaching.