Lindsay Brindley (Master of Arts) Curriculum and Instruction
Adjunct Professor, LSSU
Grant Leader, LSSU Department of Education
Curriculum Consultant, EUPISD
Brady in the 1880s, a typical unfortified military post
Courtesy of Chippewa County Historical Society
A row of cannons pointed across to the Canadian boarder, circa 1880.
The cannons were used to protect the Locks and Canals from attack
and were fired every spring upon the arrival of the first ship
through the locks and canals.
The federal government realized Sault Ste. Marie was an open target for sabotage
and was a possible place to stage an invasion into the country and in 1866
ordered federal troops to occupy the base and return it to active duty. The
fort buildings were rebuilt and remodeled. The federal troops were stationed
here to protect the state locks and canals.