Emotional Support Animals

An Emotional Support Animal is a pet that has been prescribed by a licensed therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist as part of a treatment program. Therapists prescribing an Emotional Assistance Animal must have extensive knowledge of research supporting the use of the Emotional Assistance Animal and utilize the Emotional Assistance Animal as a treatment modality. Before receiving documentation for the recommendation of an Emotional Assistance Animal, a student must be engaged in on-going therapy with a mental health provider and the Emotional Assistance Animal must be identified as an essential treatment for the student’s diagnosed emotional or psychiatric disability. Most students will not meet all of these criteria.

The University Health Services (Counseling Center and Health Care Center) staff does not generally provide letters recommending emotional assistance animals.

Lake Superior State University (LSSU) provides reasonable accommodations to University housing residents with a documented disability. This policy governs the use of assistance animals in University housing. Service animals are defined by the University Service Animal Policy and users shall follow that policy. LSSU reserves the right to amend this policy as circumstances require or as the law changes.

Collaborating to provide opportunities for student learning and success through inclusive residential communities and experiences.

Additional Resources:

Psychology Today

Americans with Disabilities Act

LSSU reserves the right to make amendments to the policy when needed.

To request special accommodations, in addition to filling out the housing application, it is required that you register with the LSSU Office of Accessibility Services. The coordinator of the Accessibility Services will verify your disability and advise housing staff of appropriate accommodation. Housing staff will facilitate the housing accommodation based on application date and availability. Questions about accessible student housing may be directed to Sharmay Wood (), Director of Campus Life and Laker Success.