Student Employment Opportunities

What type of student campus employment am I eligible for?

  • Federal Work Study (FWS) Program – Students who were offered Federal Work Study have received the offer because they qualified under the FWS rules. A FWS “offer” is not a guarantee of work. When a student accepts FWS, it means that they can proceed to the next step and seek employment through the online student job board.
  • Departmental Students (DPT) referred to as Campus Job Opportunity – Students offered Campus Job Opportunity are those who do NOT qualify for Federal Work Study through their Financial Aid package. If Federal Work Study is not awarded as part of a Financial Aid package when a student enrolls, then they are automatically considered a departmental student if they want to seek employment on campus.
  • International Students (Non-US citizen students on an F-1 VISA) – Only full time F-1 students who maintain appropriate academic standing are eligible for on campus employment. Employment must be directly affiliated with Lake Superior State University and serve our students. Total employment between all on campus jobs cannot exceed 19 hours per week while school is in session. Students may work full time during school breaks as long as they are enrolled full time for the next semester (i.e., winter break, summer break). F-1 students must complete additional employment authorization paperwork after they are offered a job but prior to starting work. F-1 students are not eligible to use the online student job board due to the additional paperwork requirements.

Please see Human Resources for additional information and resources regarding on-campus employment.

How do I find a job on campus?

All on-campus jobs can now be viewed and applied for under LSSU Student Employment Opportunities on the Student Tab within Anchor Access.

Please note: If you are an international student, you will not be able to apply for on-campus employment through the job board. On-campus employment for international students must be done through the Human Resources office due to the additional paperwork required by Federal law. Please contact our office at 906-635-2213 or we are located on the 2nd floor of the Administration Building.

Required Paperwork for Payroll

If you get a job, three documents will be required in order for you to be paid. The I-9 requires the Human Resources department to witness in person the required documents as noted on page 9 of the I-9. Please make sure to bring these documents with you when you either come for orientation or arrive on campus in the fall. If you have worked on campus in prior years, contact Human Resources to make sure that your documents are complete.

NOTE: It is the responsibility of the student to complete all necessary legal paperwork with Human Resources BEFORE starting work. Failure to do so will disqualify the student for working the remainder of the semester.