The Navigator (On-Campus Handbook)

The LSSU On-Campus Resident Handbook and Residence Hall/Dining Service Contract will constitute the Lake Superior State University Housing Contract. This agreement legally binds both parties when the Residence Hall/Dining Service Contract is received and accepted by Campus Life and Housing and/or when the resident takes occupancy.


Welcome to Lake Superior State University and University Housing! You have chosen the best way to get the full LSSU experience: by living on campus! You will be part of a community that will help you with your pursuit of your educational goals and grow as a person with the support and services that you receive by being part of the LSSU community.

You will have more opportunities to engage with other students, connect with the faculty and administration and get involved in LSSU’s many activities. You will form lifelong friendships and acquire certain life skills, such as how to get along despite differences, how to hear and respect the opinions of others, and how to give and receive support.

No matter where you live, your Resident Advisor (RA) or Community Advisor (CA) can help you transition to and enjoy life on campus. The Housing and Residential Life staff seeks to provide an environment conducive to community living while recognizing the rights and responsibilities of each individual. The diversity of other’s backgrounds will require the need for patience, communication, and understanding.

The Navigator handbook is designed to assist you with the on-campus living experience. As a student, you are also responsible for the information in the handbook at and the fire safety policy at Please familiarize yourself with that information, and contact us if you have further questions.

We sincerely hope that your stay on campus is a pleasant and memorable experience. Our staff will do everything possible to ensure that your time at LSSU will be exceptional.


Sharmay M. Wood, Associate Director

Campus Life & Housing

Lake Superior State University

Residence Hall Occupancy and Meal Service Schedule


Halls open

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 – New student move-in day – new traditional freshmen and transfers only check-in at the Cisler Center 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

First meal – Wednesday, August 23, 2017: Dinner*

Halls open

Thursday, August 24, 2017

All returning students

Check-in at the Cisler Center 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Mid-Semester Break: Monday, October 9, 2017*

Halls will remain open during Mid-Semester break. – Brunch and Dinner served.

Last meal – Tuesday, November 21, 2017: Dinner

Halls will remain open during Thanksgiving break. Meals will not be served.

First meal – Sunday, November 26, 2017: Dinner

Last meal – Friday, December 15, 2017: Lunch

Halls close

Saturday, December 17, 2017 at 10 a.m.


Halls open

Friday, January 12, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.

First meal – Sunday, January 14, 2018: Dinner

Last meal – Friday, March 2, 2018: Dinner

Halls close

Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 10 a.m. for Spring Break

Halls will close for Spring Break. Meals will not be served.

Halls open

Friday, March 9, 2018 at 12:00pm

First meal – Sunday, March 11, 2018: Dinner

Last meal – Friday, May 4, 2018: Dinner

Halls Close (All Halls)

Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 4 p.m.

Note: The LSSU campus, including all on-campus housing, will be closed during the semester break. Exceptions will be made in the townhouses and apartments only if demand warrants keeping a unit or building open. This will be determined by the Director of Campus Life and Housing on an annual basis.

*Three full meals are served Monday through Friday except on September 4th and October 9th, when brunch will be served instead of a full breakfast and lunch. Brunch and dinner are served on weekends. Please note, this schedule is subject to change.

Housing Facilities and Policies

Housing Facilities and Policies

Assignment Policy

The University will make all residence hall assignments and will make adjustments as necessary. Your preferences are considered according to the date the University receives your housing application and your first room and board payment. First-year students and sophomores will be given priority in residence hall assignments (for this purpose only, your high school graduation date will determine your class standing).

o  Brady Hall – all-male hall with one, two and four-person rooms. Preference is given to students who are out of high school for less than 15 months. Upper-class males may apply. Brady Hall is a substance-free building, including alcohol.

o  Osborn Hall – all female hall with two-person rooms. Preference is given to students who are out of high school for less than 15 months. Upper-class females may apply. Osborn Hall is a substance-free building, including alcohol.

o  The Village – suite-style units for up to eight people of the same sex. Both males and females live in the Village.  Preference is given to students who are out of high school for more than 15 months and less than 27 months. Upper-class students may apply.  The Village is substance-free, including alcohol.

o  Townhouses – two bedrooms houses for up to four people of the same sex and are for males and females who are out of high school for more than 27 months.

o  Row Houses – Ontario Hall, Laker Hall, Chippewa House, Easterday House and Erie Hall, primarily house LSSU’s living-learning communities.  The Row Houses are co-ed by side of building with the exception of Laker Hall, which is co-ed by floor.

o  Neveu Hall – one-bedroom apartments that house two people of the same sex. Males and females who are out of high school for more than 27 months live in Neveu Hall. Older residents have priority. An increased rate is charged for all single occupancy apartments.

o  Moloney Hall – one, two, and three bedroom apartments that house two people of the same sex per bedroom. Males and females who are out of high school for more than 27 months live in Moloney Hall. Older residents have priority. An increased rate is charged for all single occupancy apartments and rooms.

The University reserves the right to determine how many residents will be assigned to any housing unit. There may also be occasions in which the University is required to move residents and this right is reserved. Your first room and board payment is due by June 1st. Your first room and board payment must be paid before a room will be assigned to you.

Lake Superior State University is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination in all of its operations and facilities. Assignments to residence halls are not based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected characteristic.

To request special accommodations, in addition to filling out the housing application, it is required that you register with the LSSU Office of Accessibility Services. The coordinator of Accessibility Services will verify your disability and advise housing staff of appropriate accommodations. Housing staff will facilitate the housing accommodation based on application date and availability. Questions about accessible student housing may be directed to the Director of Campus Life and Housing.

Cable TV/Digital HD

Digital cable TV is provided in University housing by Charter Communications. Only TVs with a Digital QAM tuner (aka “Digital Tuner”) in them will be able to receive a signal. A digital tuner allows your TV to receive the Digital or HD cable channels that Charter uses. If a TV does not have a digital tuner, an error message will appear and you will not have cable service.

See for the complete channel listings.

Consolidation and Reassignment

Consolidation and Reassignment

There are several reasons why the University may be required to consolidate rooms at any time throughout the year. These reasons may include, but are not limited to; space needed to house additional students, to accommodate requests for private rooms/apartments, to solve problems, or to better utilize the facilities.

If you are in a room that is being consolidated, you have the following options:

1. You may request a private room if space is available. This will require that you pay the private room charge on a prorated basis. If you choose this option in the fall and the University does not project a need for the room in the spring, you may keep the private room for the spring semester by paying the private room rate.

2. You may move in with another student, as long as space is available and you are eligible to live in the new room.

3. You may find a new roommate as long as the roommate is eligible to live in your housing area.

4. You may remain in the room on regular room charges and keep the room ready for a new roommate. The Campus Life and Housing Office may move another student into the room at any time, although we will try to give you as much advance notice as possible. In urgent situations, changes may be sudden.

5. You may ask to be put into the lottery draw to find a new roommate, which means you might have to move to a different location when you are chosen.

If you do not choose an option on your own, the Campus Life and Housing Office will choose one that best fits the needs of the University.

We regret any inconveniences that consolidation may cause and are willing to help in any way that we can. The Campus Life and Housing Office must reserve the right to change room assignments, require a student to move to a different room or to assign or reassign rooms in any way that will best utilize the facilities available.

Garbage/Trash Disposal and Recycling

Garbage/Trash Disposal and Recycling 

Garbage bags are available free of charge to campus residents from the Campus Life and Housing Office. Students are expected to package all garbage and trash in plastic bags, tie securely and place inside dumpsters supplied for this purpose. It is the responsibility of the student to dispose of all garbage and recycling, including empty cardboard boxes, to the dumpsters or recycling areas. Garbage is not to be left in lobbies, common areas, porches, laundry rooms, hallways, community area garbage cans, etc. for any length of time. Offenders of this policy will be assessed a minimum $25 fine.

Students are encouraged to recycle when possible.  Visit to see a complete list of what is recyclable and recycling locations on campus.  Please note that some housing areas office recycling pickup.  Contact your RA/CA for more information.

Holiday Periods and Breaks

Holiday Periods and Breaks

Thanksgiving Break: University housing will be open during Thanksgiving break and you are welcome to stay in your room. Most of the offices on campus will be closed for the Thanksgiving weekend (Thursday through Sunday). Food Service meals will not be served during Thanksgiving Break. Any student who stays must register with the Campus Life and Housing Office prior to break.  Information will be sent out prior to the break.

Semester and Spring Breaks: All University Housing is closed Saturday, December 16, 2017, at 10:00 a.m. for Semester break and will re-open Friday, January 12, 2018, at noon. The halls will close again for spring break on Saturday, March 2, 2018, at 10 a.m. and re-open Friday, March 9, 2018, at noon. During these times, take any personal items you’ll want during break with you when you leave as residents are not permitted in residence halls for any reason.

All on-campus housing will be closed during the semester break and spring break. Exceptions will be made in the townhouses and apartments only if demand warrants keeping a unit or building open. This will be determined by the Director of Campus Life and Housing.  A nightly charge may apply.


You are responsible for the general orderliness and cleanliness of your room or apartment. Routine custodial service is provided for common areas of all residential housing on campus. The following are cleaning guidelines designed to ensure that the residence halls are safe and healthy for everyone:

1. Remove all papers (including newspapers), magazines and garbage from all areas (bedrooms, bathrooms and living room areas).

2. Remove all empty beverage containers.

3. Sweep and/or vacuum floors and carpets. Remove all black marks and/or scuff marks.

4. Wash dirty dishes and cooking appliances on a regular basis.

5. Thoroughly clean in and around toilets, sinks, shower areas and mirrors.

6. Clean the outside as well as the inside area of the stove/oven and refrigerator. Be very careful when defrosting these units as any damage resulting from carelessness or negligence will be charged to the residents of the housing unit. The University accepts no responsibility for lost food should refrigerators or freezers get unplugged.

Safety and cleanliness in the residence halls are further ensured by periodic room inspections. During these inspections, all maintenance and housekeeping deficiencies will be noted and charges, if applicable, will be assessed. A more thorough list is available at the Campus Life and Housing Office.

Housing Applications and Contracts

To live on campus, fill out and sign an application for University Housing. An assignment will be made after the first room and board payment is received. Meal plans are selected on the Residence Hall/Dining Services Contract. Signed contracts are required before moving into the unit. If you are under 18, a parent or guardian’s signature is required. Housing contracts are for a full academic year or the balance of the year if a student moves in at a time other than the start of school. The Director of Campus Life and Housing can make arrangements for a partial year contract.

Residence Hall Applications and Contracts may be canceled before June 1st without penalty. Applications are automatically canceled on June 1st if the first room and board payment has not been received by the University. If you cancel your application after June 1st for fall semester or after December 10th for spring semester and before checking into residence halls, there will be a $100 charge.

If you cancel your housing contract after moving in, you will be charged an early termination fee of $500. You can cut this fee in half by giving two weeks (charge weeks) cancellation notice and by checking out properly with the Campus Life and Housing Office. Anyone leaving the residence halls within the last two weeks of a semester will pay for the remainder of the semester.

There are three exceptions to this policy. These apply to students who are withdrawing from school (except for disciplinary reasons), graduating, or for students who are exempted by the Director of Campus Life and Housing for financial or medical reasons.


Health Insurance: You may still be covered on your parents’ insurance policies. If not, a health and accident policy is available through the Health Care Center, x2110.

Personal Property Insurance: The University is not liable for the loss of money or valuables by any person or for the loss of, or damage to, any resident’s property, or bodily injury sustained on the premises. Your parents homeowners insurance policy may cover private property away from home or you can have a rider attached. If not, you may wish to obtain renter’s insurance.

Internet Connection

Internet connection is available in all residential rooms and connected via Ethernet or wirelessly. Ethernet connectivity requires an Ethernet card for your computer. The Campus Life and Housing Office does not provide Ethernet cards or cords. Please see or the LSSU AV Help Desk located in the Library for more information or assistance. No personal wireless routers are allowed in residence halls.


When you check in, you will be issued a room key and entrance and/or mail keys, if applicable. The key(s) for residents of Brady and Osborn Halls will open main lobby entrances and your assigned room. You are urged to be extremely careful in safeguarding your key and to carry it at all times. Your key is for your protection; it should not be given to anyone who is not assigned to the room and it is a violation of University regulations to duplicate a room or apartment key(s). You should always keep your door locked when you are away from your room and when retiring in the evening.

Lost keys must be reported to the Campus Life and Housing Office. When a key is lost, the lock will be changed on the door and mailbox and new keys will be issued. If you lose a key, an $85 minimum per room key core and a $25 minimum per mailbox core will be charged to cover the cost of replacing the lock core and keys.  Please note:  You are required to report all lost keys to the Campus Life and Housing Office immediately for safety and replacement purposes.

If you are locked out of your unit/building for any reason, you may not have immediate access to your housing unit. An Resident Advisor, Community Advisor, Residential Hall Coordinator or Public Safety can be contacted to unlock your door for you with appropriate identification.  During night hours, please contact Public Safety as the RA/CA/RHC may not have the key to your area.

Laundry Facilities

Laundry rooms are located in specific areas for each residence hall and are for the exclusive use of current students on room and board contracts. Please do not attempt to wash large items such as sleeping bags and comforters or overload the washers and/or dryers. Shoes, items containing rubber and/or plastic, or combustibles of any kind should not be cleaned in university washers or dryers. The University is not responsible for damage to your personal belongings in the use of the laundry equipment or when it is left unattended in the laundry facilities. Students may be charged fines if damage is done to the equipment.  Your room key will also unlock the laundry room door.

Please report any problems with the laundry equipment or in the laundry room to the Campus Life and Housing Office at x2411 or by email .

Mail Service & Addresses

Your mail will be delivered to your residence hall once a day, Monday through Saturday. Packages can be picked up in Campus Life and Housing during regular business hours. Specific instructions for mailboxes in each building are available at the Campus Life and Housing Office. Campus Life and Housing will forward U.S. mail for students who are no longer in residence on campus for up to one year. Change your address through your My.LSSU prior to leaving campus. First class mail will be forwarded for a period of one year. Newspapers will only be forwarded for a short period of time, so if you want to continue to receive them, change your address with the publisher at least four weeks before leaving the halls.

Brady Hall

Brady Hall #_____

680 W. Easterday Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783

Osborn Hall

Osborn Hall # _____

680 W. Easterday Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783

Student Village

Tower and Room # _____

 680 W. Easterday Avenue

 Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783

Moloney Hall

Moloney Hall #_____

680 W. Easterday Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783

Neveu Hall

Neveu Hall #_____

680 W. Easterday Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783

Row Houses

Building & Room #_____

 680 W. Easterday Avenue

 Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783


Building #_____

680 W. Easterday Avenue

Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783

Maintenance Requests

If you experience or observe a maintenance problem (i.e., something broken, heating problems, water leak, etc.), please report the problem to a RA/CA, Residential Hall Coordinator, or Campus Life and Housing at x2411. If it is an emergency and CLO is closed, call Public Safety at x2100.

Room and Board Payment

Room and board is payable by semester. All payments are handled by the Fletcher First Stop located in the Fletcher Center. If you need a different payment schedule, please contact the Business Office at x2276. The first room and board payment, due by June 1st, should still be sent directly to the Campus Life and Housing Office located in Cisler 125 or paid online using the Bill and Payment Suite (under the Deposits tab) in Anchor Access to ensure early room assignment.

Your Room and Board Dollar: The state of Michigan does not appropriate tax dollars for University housing or food service facilities. Funds to build the halls and purchase the equipment and furnishings were raised by the sale of bonds. Payment, plus interest, must be made on a regular basis, similar to a home mortgage. These payments are made from room and board revenue and other generated incomes, such as snack bars, guest rentals, guest meal tickets, banquets, etc. Every possible effort is made to offer the most in service at the lowest cost.

Charge Periods: Residence hall weeks begin on Sunday; anyone entering or leaving the residence hall during the week is charged for the full week. The 2017-2018 academic year (August-May) is divided into 31 weeks of service. Charge weeks in each semester are equal in cost regardless of days of room and board provided in any individual week.

Board Plan Changes: Campus Life and Housing requests that if you wish to change your board contract, you do it before the beginning of the semester. However, board changes are allowed once per semester at no additional charge. You can change your board contract by filling out a Contract Change Form at the ID office (located in the upstairs of the Cisler University Center). Should you change from a plan with Laker Bucks to one without Laker Bucks, you will be charged for any Laker Bucks used.

Delinquent Accounts: If room and board charges or fees are not paid by the date scheduled, all meal privileges will be suspended on the seventh (7th) day of the delinquency. There will be no refund for any meals missed because of such a suspension. If on the tenth (10th) day after the scheduled date of payment, payment continues to be delinquent, the room and board contract will be considered canceled and the student will be evicted from his or her residence hall. Any court costs or attorney fees assessed in the process of collecting delinquent accounts or eviction will be charged to the student.

If you have special circumstances that affect your ability to meet contractual and lease obligations, you need to make arrangements prior to the payment date with the Campus Life and Housing Office.

Room Check-in and Check-out Procedure


You can begin the check-in procedure by picking up your check-in packet at the designated check-in site, located in the Cisler University Center. When you get to your room in Osborn or Brady, you’ll find a mattress pad on your bed. You need to return this pad to the Campus Life and Housing Office when you leave the residence halls. If you change rooms at any time, take the pad with you.

As a courtesy, a Campus Life and Housing staff member will fill out a Room Inventory Form. You should check this form over very carefully before you sign it. It is your responsibility to record any possible damages the Campus Life and Housing staff may have missed. These sheets record the exact condition of the room when you move in. You will only be held responsible for any damages that occur to the room after you move into it. At the beginning of the semester, the RA/CA will return the sheet to the Campus Life and Housing Office. It is your responsibility to have your room inventory sheets returned to your RA/CA within the first 24 hours of occupying your room. The information on the sheet must be confirmed by your RA/CA with his/her signature or initials. Failure to complete the Room Inventory Form within the 24 hours will result in an improper check-in fee of $25.


It is very important that you complete the checkout procedure below when you are leaving the residence halls. If you do not, the Campus Life and Housing Office cannot refund your damage deposit or any prorated room and board, and you will continue to be charged room and board until your checkout is completed. Students will be charged $25 for improper checkout.  Note:  Information on checkout will be sent out prior to checkout.

Here are the steps that you need to follow in order to check out properly.

1. Fill out Intent to Leave Form in the Campus Life and Housing Office (only if moving off prior to the end of the academic year). If you are moving off campus, be sure the form is received by the Campus Life and Housing Office at least two charge/service weeks before your departure date to reduce your early termination fee to $250.

2. Take all of your personal belongings out of the room. Anything that you leave in the room after your official date of occupancy will be considered abandoned and will be disposed of.

3. If any claimed damages fill out the Damage Responsibility Form with roommates, noting any changes to the information. Be sure to leave the room in good condition. Have the RA/CA or RHC sign the Damage Responsibility Form.

4. Change your forwarding address on your Anchor Access account, return your mattress cover (if applicable) and room/mail keys to the Campus Life and Housing Office.

5. Go to the Fletcher First Stop located in the Fletcher Center and change your parking permit.

6. If you are withdrawing from the University, complete all necessary procedures before your departure at the Registrar’s Office.

If you are leaving at the end of the academic year, you only need to complete steps 2-4.

Room Furnishings

Rooms are furnished with a bed, desk, closet/wardrobe, dresser space, and blinds or curtains. You are responsible for your furnishings while you occupy your room, and will be held accountable for anything that is missing or damaged (beyond normal wear and tear) when you move out. University furniture shall not be removed from its assigned housing unit at any time. In addition, University and or personal furniture will not be allowed outside at any time under any circumstances. You are responsible for your own bedding, including pillows and blankets. Beds in the living units are extra-long singles (80”).

The following are not allowed: wood structures for reasons of fire safety, alterations to University furniture and equipment, lofts, stacking beds three high, satellite dishes, and outside radio & television antennas.

Room Security

Room Security

One of the best ways to prevent theft is to keep your doors locked when you are out of the room. Theft, no matter how trivial, should be reported immediately to the Public Safety Office if you think your room has been entered at any time by unauthorized people. Public Safety recommends that you record the serial numbers and take pictures of any equipment and other belongings to make it easier to identify and for insurance purposes.

Room Sign-Up

Room Sign-Up

Each spring you will be given the opportunity to sign up at a pre-announced time and place for your desired housing assignment for the next year. You must to be eligible to live in the housing unit for which you sign up. There are two ways that you can lose this assignment: 1) by not turning in a housing application to the Campus Life and Housing Office before the halls close at the end of the Spring semester and 2) by not making your first room and board payment by June 1st. However, due to the fact that the Campus Life and Housing Office must sometimes make necessary changes, room preferances are not guaranteed.

Tobacco-Free Environment

All areas of the residence halls are tobacco free.  As such, tobacco items must not be visible or used in the residence hall areas.

Please refer to the complete Tobacco Policy located online at


The Campus Life and Housing staff are committed to the well-being of all residents, programming, policy enforcement and the overall building supervision.

Campus Life and Housing staff:

Resident Advisors (RAs) and Community Advisors (CAs) — are responsible for different areas within each residence hall complex. They have been trained by the University to assist you with whatever concerns you may have. The responsibility of the staff is to help residents maintain a safe and pleasant atmosphere for study, recreation, social and educational development during your stay at LSSU. In addition, the RAs and CAs are experienced residents, who have spent considerable time “learning the ropes” of living and working on campus. Your staff member can save you both time and effort in resolving issues and concerns.

Do not hesitate to seek an RA or CA if you need assistance at any time. If you are unsure of whom your RA or CA is, please contact the Campus Life and Housing Office for assistance.

In addition to the responsibility described above, RAs and CAs are responsible for enforcing residence hall regulations and policies. These regulations and policies, which are examined and revised periodically, are designed to provide students with the best possible living and learning environment. You are asked to cooperate with the RAs and CAs in protecting both your rights and those of fellow students.

Residence Hall Coordinator — Oversee the day-to-day operations and student staff in the residence halls. The Residential Hall Coordinators reside on campus and are full-time employees of the university and are located in Brady Hall, Osborn Hall, and upper-class housing. Office hours will be posted for each of the halls. Students residing in these areas will have access to the coordinator for questions, comments and/or concerns.

Student ID Cards

If you lose your student identification card, please be sure to check with Public Safety and the Campus Life and Housing Office to see if it has been turned in. If not, please report it to the Cisler Center ID Office (x2541). There is a $15 charge for a replacement card.  Must have an alternative form of identification to obtain a replacement student identification card.

Telephone Service

Local calls: dial 9 and then the number you are calling.

If you are interested in using your land line, please contact the Information Technology office at x6677.



If you need to withdraw from school for any reason, be sure to complete the checkout procedure and check with the Registrar’s Office for the procedure for dropping classes.  The Campus Life and Housing Office handles all withdrawals/cancellations from University housing. See the section on “Housing Application and Contract Cancellations” for full details.

Residence Hall Rules and Regulations

Alcohol Policy

Alcohol Policy

Unauthorized possession, use, manufacture, distribution, or sale of alcoholic beverages on or in University property is prohibited.

Brady, Osborn, and Student Village are alcohol-free residence halls. This means, regardless of age, alcohol is NOT permitted in these buildings at any time. Residents and guests in these areas may not store or possess alcohol, including empty containers of alcohol; this includes containers used as decorations.

Alcohol is permitted in other residential units providing that all occupants and guests are at least 21 years of age. Residential units in the Townhouses, Apartments and Row Houses (please note living-learning communities housed in Row Houses may be subject to stricter policies) are defined as individual bedrooms unless all occupants are over 21.  The alcohol policy will be enforced on a room-by-room basis in the Townhouses, Apartments and Row Houses.  Adjustments may be made to individual Row Houses based on the number of occupants over the age of 21 and the decision of the advisor.

The following are prohibited:

• Empty alcohol bottles are not permitted and must be disposed of in a timely manner.

• Kegs (even empty) are not allowed in any residences on campus.

• Alcohol paraphernalia (i.e. any device used for mass consumption of alcohol).

• Manufacturing any type of alcohol is not allowed at any time in any university housing units.

Empty alcohol containers and paraphernalia will be confiscated during inspections, break periods or at any time a resident is found violating the alcohol policy. If at any time the policy is violated, all students present, regardless of age, will be subject to disciplinary action.

Violations of the alcohol policy and/or state law will be subject to disciplinary action, including fines, documentation, relocation or removal from housing and parent notification. Below is an outline of possible sanctions to expect if you are in violation of the alcohol policy.

Sanctions for Students Violating Alcohol Policy

        First Offense           Second Offense       Third Offense             Fourth Offense

Alcohol Education

Alcohol Education

Counseling Referral

University Suspension for a minimum of one year

Documentation Filed

Counseling Referral

University Probation or Suspension (min. 1 year)

Counseling and additional development requirements for reinstatement

$50 fine

$100 fine

$200 fine

$250 fine

Possible Relocation or Removal from Housing

Possible Relocation or Removal from Housing

Removal from University Housing

Parent Notification

Parent Notification

Parent Notification Documentation

Parent Notification

Documentation Filed

Possible Community Service

Possible Community Service

Possible Community Service

Possible Community Service

See for the complete alcohol policy

Automobiles and Parking

Automobiles and Parking

All campus residents are allowed to have one vehicle on campus. Below are a few rules and regulations that must be adhered to when having a vehicle on campus.

• You must register your vehicle online at under the “Web Services” channel. Your student account will be billed.

• Parking is only permitted in the parking area assigned by your permit decal.

• If you leave your vehicle on campus during breaks, it must be left in Lot H located by the Pianosi Maintenance Center off Meridian Drive.

• Vehicle washing or any other vehicle maintenance is not permitted on University property.

• Complete parking regulations are available at the Fletcher First Stop in the Fletcher Center and at the Public Safety Office. Non-compliance with the parking regulations can result in having a vehicle towed away at the owner’s expense.

Parking Committee – The parking committee meets on a regular basis. This committee allows students an opportunity to appeal parking citations received on campus. Further information can be obtained from the campus Public Safety Office at ext. 2100.

Please refer to for the complete parking rules and regulations.

Bicycles and Bicycle Storage

Bicycles and Bicycle Storage

You are welcome to bring your bike to campus and outside racks are provided for you to use. We recommend that you use a lock when your bike is in the rack. You are encouraged to register your bike with Public Safety, at no charge, in case of loss.

During the winter months, bicycle racks are moved to allow for snow plowing. We recommend that you take your bike home at Thanksgiving. Winter bicycle storage will also be available.

Information on bicycle storage will be made available in October. For safety reasons bicycles cannot be stored in the common areas (e.g., corridors, lounges, stairwells, etc.) of the residence halls. Public Safety will remove any bike found in a common area.

Blood-Borne Pathogens

Blood-Borne Pathogens

Should any student come across or in contact with any bodily fluids in a public area or come upon bodily fluids, please contact any Campus Life and Housing staff member or Public Safety immediately so that custodial support can address the situation and minimize the risk of contact with blood-borne pathogens.

Candles, Incenses, Wax Warmers

Candles, Incenses, Wax Warmers

Candles, incense, as well as candle or wax warmers are not allowed in any of our on-campus residential housing units. Such items can cause severe damage to resident rooms, as well as to the buildings, and are therefore prohibited. These items will be confiscated and properly disposed of if found in University housing units.

Students found in violation will be referred for disciplinary sanctions. Fines start at $25 for violation of the candle and incense policy.



Fire safety is of great concern to the University. Fire regulations in the residence halls are designed for everyone’s safety. Halogen lamps, propane, air gas cylinders, candles, oil lamps, burning incense, charcoal lighting fluid or any other open flame devices or combustible materials are not allowed in University housing. Paper materials must be kept to a minimum. Real Christmas trees are not allowed. The use or possession of fireworks, other explosives and potentially harmful chemicals is also prohibited in the residence halls and in their immediate vicinity. Individuals who violate this policy will be subject to disciplinary and/or legal action, which may result in dismissal from Lake Superior State University.

Damage Control Policy

Damage Control Policy

It is everyone’s responsibility to keep all areas of the residence halls in the best condition possible. In order to be fair to everyone, anyone responsible for damage to a room and/or apartment or a common area will make financial restitution. Damage Responsiblity forms are available at the Campus Life and Housing Office.

Every attempt is made to be fair in the assessment of damages and in discovering the person(s) responsible. The initial condition of the rooms is noted when students move in. All rooms and/or apartments will be inspected periodically by the Campus Life and Housing staff. All residents are responsible for maintaining their rooms and/or apartments in a clean and orderly manner.

If you are leaving the residence hall system, charges for damages are deducted from the damage deposit that you paid prior to checking into the living units. If you will be returning to the residence halls for the next academic year, you will be billed for the damages and the deposit will be retained as a guarantee against future breakage or damage. The damage deposit less any money owed to the University will be refunded when you leave the residence halls permanently. Refunds will be processed after inspection of the units.

Charges will be made to all occupants of a room, apartment, and/or building for damages, unless those responsible are identified and take responsibility for specified damages. Damages, which have not been accounted for during the year, will be assessed equally to the remaining occupants at the end of the year. Maintenance and housekeeping deficiencies, charges for broken fixtures, and damages to rooms and apartments are noted during inspections and fines may be levied. Charges for common area damages, such as vandalism or theft of hall fixtures, will be equally assessed to all residents of the living unit unless the person or persons responsible are identified and assume full responsibility.

If you know who is responsible for residence hall damages tell your RA/CA, RHC, or the Campus Life and Housing Office. We would rather charge only the individual(s) responsible for the damage, and we need your information in order to do so. In order to charge an individual for specific damage: 1) the student must admit responsibility for the damage, or 2) the Campus Life and Housing Office determines by some other means that an individual is responsible for the damage. If none of these criteria are met, the cost is divided among all occupants.

Students who are guilty of deliberate damage are subject to disciplinary action. Noncompliance with cleaning guidelines can lead to fine assessments and/or disciplinary action. The following list provides a general idea of costs for damages or misuse of University property.

Charges/prices are subject to change without notice:

Painting of a room

$300 – $400

Window (regular and/or thermopane)

$40 – $500

Furniture replacement

$45 – $750

Room/Apartment doors

$150 – $700

Room/Apartment door locks

$65 – $200

Fire extinguisher to replace

$50 – $150

Fire extinguisher to recharge

$30 – $50

Light covers

$30 – $50

Window screens

$35 – $80

Repairing holes in walls

$15 – $300

Telephone Jacks/Computer Ports

$20 – $300



We encourage you to add personal touches to your room, but we do ask that you keep in mind good taste, safety, and the rights and sensibilities of other residents. Each student is responsible for the condition of the furniture, walls, windows and floors in the assigned room. Nails, hooks, tacks and tape can all mark or damage walls or furniture; therefore, none of these are allowed. However, blue painters tape and 3M poster strips (if used properly) are alternatives to scotch or duct tape as it will not damage walls or doors. We also ask that you use common sense in hanging pictures in order to avoid wall damage. You can be charged for any damage that you cause in your room.

The use of water furniture such as water beds and fish tanks over 30 gallons is not allowed due to the damage potential involved. Barn wood, paneling, live Christmas trees, halogen lamps and other inflammable materials are not permitted because they are fire hazards. Alcohol bottles and cans cannot be used as a form of decoration in University housing and will be confiscated if found in the rooms. A more complete list is located under Electrical Appliances or by contacting the Campus Life and Housing Office.

Mini indoor holiday lights (UL approved for indoor use) can be put up for the holidays two weeks prior to the end of the fall semester and must be taken down before the end of the fall semester. Painting any room or University property is not allowed.

Drugs or Illegal Substances

Drugs or Illegal Substances

Violators will be subject to disciplinary and/or legal action that may result in removal from University housing and possible dismissal from Lake Superior State University.

The possession, use, sale, distribution or manufacture of any illegal substance is prohibited in any building or on any property owned and/or controlled by the University. Violations of the drug/illegal substance policy or state law will be subject to disciplinary action, including fines, documentation, community service, educational sessions, counseling referral, relocation or removal from housing and parent notification.

Electrical Appliances

Electrical Appliances

The electrical system is not designed to carry heavy loads of electrical equipment. The following electrical appliances are not permitted in LSSU housing unless already provided:

• Hot plates

• George Foreman grills

• Electric frying pans

• Air conditioners

• Sun lamps

• Halogen lamps

• Lamps with plastic shades

• Induction Cook Tops

• Major appliances

• Freezers

• Mini fridge’s over 5.0 cubic feet, over 37 inches high and draws over 3 amps of power.

• Toasters and space heaters cannot be used in residence halls for electrical and safety reasons. All lights and appliances must be UL approved for indoor use.

• Any appliance with exposed heating elements.

You can direct any questions you have about whether an appliance is appropriate to the Campus Life and Housing Office. A safe strip with surge protection is recommended if additional plug-ins are needed. Extension cords and multiple outlet adapters can be dangerous and cannot be used in the residence halls. A surge protector is recommended if you will have a computer in your room.

Electrical, Telephone and Fire Detecting Systems

Electrical, Telephone and Fire Detecting Systems

A minimum $50 fine will be assessed to any individual changing or otherwise tampering with University-owned electrical, telephone, or fire detecting systems.

Entry and Search Procedures

Entry and Search Procedures

Lake Superior State University recognizes and respects the rights of its students to have privacy with respect to their personal belongings. The University also recognizes its responsibility to protect the health and safety of all members of the University community. University staff (RA/CA, RHC or other appropriate official) reserves the right to enter University rooms and apartments under any of the following circumstances:

1. When there is an immediate threat to the health and safety of the occupants or the University property,

2. With permission of the resident of that room/apartment/suite,

3. With a search warrant,

4. By University personnel in the course of utilizing recognized legal authority of their responsibilities as University employees,

5. By residence hall or public safety staff when there is a probable cause to believe that a University regulation has been broken or where there is a specific indication of danger in a student room or apartment,

6. By University personnel and their designated agents for repair, replacement or inspection of University property,

7. By an RA/CA to complete closing and check-out procedures,

8. Health and Safety inspections,

9. During routine fire drills and scheduled inspections, or

10. During non-residency periods, such as between semesters, rooms are the sole property of the University and not the resident’s. University staff will conduct routine inspections and maintenance activities from time to time. The University reserves the right to remove from the room, without the resident’s permission, any objects or materials which constitute a health or safety hazard, or are the property of the University. The University does not assume responsibility for items of a personal nature that are damaged, lost or stolen.

Fire Safety

Fire Safety

Students are required to comply fully with all University fire safety regulations. All students are to become familiar with the Fire Safety Policy. A Fire Safety Policy booklet is online and available to all students. The University will conduct inspections from time to time to ensure compliance.

Please review full policy at:  Fire Evacuation Policy located in the Emergency Procedures section of this handbook.

Firearms, Ammunition, Weapons and Explosives

Weapons, for the purposes of this policy, are defined as: (1) a loaded or unloaded firearm or bow/crossbow, whether operable or inoperable, (2) a knife or stabbing instrument longer than 3 inches, brass knuckles, blackjack, club, or other object specifically designed or customarily carried or possessed for use as a weapon, (3) an object that is likely to cause death or bodily injury when used as a weapon and that is used as a weapon or carried or possessed for use as a weapon, or (4) an object or device that is used or fashioned in a manner to lead a person to believe the object or device is a firearm or an object which is likely to cause death or bodily injury.

Residence Hall and University apartment residents may register and store weapons, ammunition and used ammunition at the Department of Public Safety and may possess such weapons on property owned or controlled by the University just long enough to deliver and retrieve the weapons from the Department of Public Safety. Persons shall park in D lot (visitor and Public Safety spots are available) and walk directly to Public Safety. The firearms are to be brought to the Public Safety building, unloaded and in a gun case. Archery equipment is to be unloaded and knives are to be sheathed. When reclaiming weapons from Public Safety individuals must, likewise, park in D lot, place the weapon in their vehicle and immediately leave campus.

Firearms, ammunition, explosives, air pistols, blow guns, and bow and arrows of any kind are not permitted in any on-campus housing at any time.

Please refer to the complete Weapons Policy located online at:



No personal grills are allowed in any on-campus living area, inside or out. This includes all electric, gas, propane, or charcoal grills.

There are public charcoal grills located near the Student Village, Apartments, and Townhouses.  Only instant light charcoal briquettes may be used in LSSU public grills and stored in the on-campus housing.  No charcoal lighter fluid is allowed in any on-campus living area, inside or out.   

Harassment, Bullying and Intimidation

Harassment, Bullying, and Intimidation

In order to succeed personally and academically, all residents must be able to live free from unnecessary emotional stress caused by others. Physical and verbal harassment, including harassment based on race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, religious preference, etc. will not be tolerated in a residence life community. Should a resident be found responsible for harassing, bullying, and/or intimidating another resident, strict disciplinary action will be taken immediately, possibly resulting in removal from on-campus housing.

Witnesses or victims of harassment, bullying, and/or intimidation should report it to a Campus Life and Housing staff member or Public Safety immediately.



Due to safety, fire, and liability concerns, lofts are not allowed.

Medical Marijuana

Medical Marijuana

Given the requirements and parameters of several federal laws, the use or possession of marijuana, including marijuana prescribed for medicinal purposes, is not permitted on the campus of Lake Superior State University.

The federal Controlled Substances Act prohibits the possession, manufacturing, dispensing, and distribution of marijuana. The federal Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989 prohibit the use or possession of marijuana on campus. As a condition of receiving funds or any other form of financial assistance under any federal program, an institution of higher education must certify that it has adopted and implemented a program to prevent the possession, use or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol on campus in order to comply with the Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Regulations. There is no “medical necessity” exception for marijuana under federal law. Federal law supersedes state law where they are in conflict.



Motorcycles, mini bikes, motor bikes, etc. pose a safety hazard in the residence halls. Therefore, they cannot be stored or repaired in a student room or apartment or in the common areas of the residence halls at anytime. Public Safety personnel will remove any that are found in the halls and the owner will be responsible for any fines and labor to remove such items.

On-Campus Residency Guidelines

On-Campus Residency Guidelines

If you are a full-time student within 27 calendar months of the date of your high school graduation, the University requires that you live on campus. For these purposes, “full-time” means enrolled for 12 or more credit hours and all graduation dates will be assumed to be June 1st of any given year. The following are exceptions to this policy:

1. If you live with your parent/guardian within a 60-mile or three-county (Chippewa, Luce, and Mackinac) radius of the campus;

2. If residence hall space is filled; or,

3. If you have an unusual financial or health problem and are excused from living on campus by the Director of Campus Life and Housing.

To claim any of these exceptions, you need to get an exemption application from the Campus Life and Housing Office and receive permission from the Director of Campus Life and Housing, in order to live off campus. The University also recognizes the occasional need for other exceptions to its residency requirements. Requests for these exceptions will be considered by the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Affairs.

The Director of Campus Life and Housing has the responsibility for any removals from housing that may be necessary for disciplinary reasons. The Vice President of Enrollment and Student Affairs is the officer of appeal for these decisions. If a student is removed from the residence hall while under the on-campus residency requirements, she or he may continue classes on a part-time status only. The Director of Campus Life and Housing may terminate housing privileges for students who fail to maintain a current status on their room and board accounts. Appeals for this type of action will be heard by the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Affairs.

Opening Doors

Opening Doors

To further promote building safety, the propping of any locked entrance and/or exit doors is prohibited at all times. Residents are encouraged, for their own safety and security, to lock their room doors.

Please report any problems with doors or closures immediately to the Campus Life and Housing Office (x2411) or Public Safety (x2100).

Pet Policy

Pet Policy

Pets are not allowed in any on-campus housing except non-aggressive fish in a tank no larger than 30 gallons.

Students found with pet(s) other than the exceptions in university-owned housing will have 24 hours to remove the pet(s) and may be subject to a fine of up to $50 per day if they do not remove the pet(s) promptly. A follow-up inspection will occur to verify removal.

Students who wish to request service or therapy animal to stay with them should contact the Campus Life and Housing Office for further information regarding the formal approval process.  You must be approved prior to bringing the pet into University housing.

Posting Policy

Posting Policy

The University encourages the promotion of activities and opportunities. This policy is designed to encourage posting consistency throughout campus while alleviating damage and inappropriate promotion. All postings must first be approved by the Campus Life and Housing Office, located in the Cisler Center. Postings must bear the stamp of approval. Postings can only be placed on designated public posting boards. Legitimate posting areas will be indicated as such. Postings cannot be attached to walls, doors, ceilings, windows or University staff boards; nor are they to be slid under doors or placed on vehicles without the prior written permission of the Campus Life and Housing Office. Postings deemed offensive, sexist, vulgar, discriminatory or suggestive will not be approved. Failure to comply with this policy will result in the removal and disposal of the postings in addition to possible future posting denial and/or disciplinary sanctioning of the individual(s) involved. Please contact x2236 with any questions.



You are welcome to have a small refrigerator in your room that does not exceed 5.0 cubic feet in size, draw over three amps of power or exceed 37 inches in height. All cords and appliances must have Underwriters Laboratory (UL) approval. All refrigerators must be removed from rooms and/or apartments at the end of the academic year.

Please defrost and unplug any refrigerators and dispose of all refrigerated food before leaving for breaks. The University assumes no responsibility for small refrigerators and/or their contents during breaks. We recommend emptying your refrigerator during semester breaks. Any types of freezers, regardless of size, are not allowed in any University housing.

Room Change Policy

Room Change Policy

Campus Life and Housing believe that part of the college experience includes living in a community with people of various backgrounds and interests. Our goal is that all students will learn and grow from the experience of living with people different from themselves. The Campus Life and Housing Office request that all residents give their roommate assignments a chance and to please follow the procedures and protocol below when dealing with roommate challenges and concerns and to keep in mind that a roommate change should not be the first consideration when issues arise.


• Discuss/communicate in a calm matter what your concern is with your roommate(s).

• Revisit your roommate agreement with your roommate(s).

• Contact your Resident Advisor or Community Advisor for advice or assistance.  RA/CAs are trained in conflict management and can facilitate a meditation if necessary.

• Contact your Residential Hall Coordinator for further assistance and to discuss further action.

• The Residential Hall Coordinator may approve a room change, if necessary when conditions allow.

If you have any further questions please contact Campus Life and Housing Life at x2411.


There are two periods of time during which you can request to change your room assignment. Room changes will be considered starting the third week of the semester until three weeks prior to the end of the semester. Room changes will only be considered at other times in the semester for extraordinary reasons. We need to know where all resident students are living at all times, so no moves are to be made until the Campus Life and Housing Office has approved the room change. A room change not approved by the Campus Life and Housing Office (improper room change) will result in a fee of $100.  If you want to change your room, you need to follow these procedures:

1. Obtain a Room Change Request Form from the Campus Life and Housing Office.

2. Complete the form with the required information, you will need to set up a meeting with your Residential Hall Coordinator to complete the required form.

3. Obtain the necessary signatures on the form.

4. Return the completed form to the Campus Life and Housing Office for approval.

5. If approved, you will be given Room Inventory Sheets for both your old and new rooms. You then need to officially check out of your old room and check into your new room with the help of your RA/CA. (Remember to take your mattress cover with you).

6. Return the new Room Inventory Sheet to the Campus Life and Housing Office within one (1) business days after you receive approval to move. You will then be issued a key.  Room Inventory Sheets must be turned in a timely manner or it will result in a $25 fee.

7. Return old room key to the Campus Life and Housing Office within 24 hours.  Room changes will not be completed on a Friday unless classified as an emergency.

Room Painting

Room Painting

While we encourage you to personalize your room as much as possible, painting of any room or University property is not allowed.

Satellite Dishes

Satellite Dishes

Satellites are not allowed in any University housing areas.

Sharps Disposal

Sharps Disposal

Devices with needles must be used and immediately discarded after use, un-recapped, into an accessible sharps containers.  For safety, anyone who uses needles, for any reason, is asked to obtain a sharps container from the Health CARE Center (x2110). When full, or on a timely basis, they can be returned to the Health CARE Center for disposal and a new container obtained

Signs, Road Cones, and Parking Meters

Signs, Road Cones, and Parking Meters

It is very difficult to tell the difference between illegal roadway, street and/or exit signs and parking meters from those that are legally purchased. With that in mind, any type of roadway, street and/or exit signs, road cones and parking meters are not allowed in any on-campus housing.

Solicitation Policy

Solicitation Policy

No one may solicit or engage in any kind of business venture in the residence hall including on-campus parking lots. This applies to both residents and non-residents. Please report any such solicitation to a Campus Life and Housing Office staff member or Public Safety (x2100) immediately.


Sports of any kind are NOT to be played inside any of the residential halls. These include, but are not limited to: football, hockey, ladder golf, catch, frisbee, running, etc. If anyone is found violating this policy, they may be subject to disciplinary sanctions.

Rollerblading, Skateboarding, Hoverboards and Scooters

Rollerblading, Skateboarding, Hoverboards and Scooters

Rollerblading, skateboarding, and scooters are not permitted in any University building. All skaters shall keep all wheels on pavement at all times. All stunts or acrobatics are prohibited due to the potential for injuries and property damage.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services

Basic health care services are available on campus at the LSSU Health CARE Center. The Health CARE Center is located at 621 W. Easterday Ave. across from Brady Hall. The center is staffed by health care professionals: full-time staff include a certified nurse practitioner and professional nurses. Consultation and referral to physicians is available through the center. Nursing professionals are available most days between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. You may phone the center at 635-2110 (on campus, ext. 2110) anytime during office hours to make an appointment.

Visitation Policy

Visitation Policy

Residents are allowed to have guests at any time.

All residents are expected to respect the rights and privacy of their roommates, and visitors of the opposite and same sex may not be entertained without the expressed permission of the roommate(s), including significant others.  Any non-student guests must also have their vehicles registered with Public Safety and be parked in the proper parking lots. Guests must be escorted between the public areas of the hall and the resident’s room after the posted escort hours.

Guests are required to carry picture ID, remain with their host and use only appropriate bathrooms. If a guest uses the wrong bathroom, the host and visitor may be held accountable through disciplinary action. Residents are responsible for their guests and must ensure that they follow all rules and regulations while in the residence halls. Residents will be charged for any damages done by their guest.

Guests are allowed to stay a maximum of three consecutive days per week, with roommate(s) permission. Guests that stay longer than 3 consecutive days per week, will be considered cohabitating which is not permitted on University property. The Residential Hall Coordinator must approve longer visits. Although your roommate(s) may consent to visitors, please remember to respect their space and limit inconveniences.  It is helpful to discuss guests with your roommates while completing your Roommate Agreement.

Window Screens and Windows

Window Screens and Windows

For the safety of residents, screens should not be removed from the windows. There is a $25 fine for removing your screen. If you have a maintenance problem with your screen please call for maintenance at x2411. Be sure to close windows when asked by the Campus Life and Housing Office. Otherwise, if damages occur, you will be held responsible for the cost.

Safety and Security

Health and Safety Resources

Health and Safety Resources

Emergencys dial 911 (9-911 from on-campus phones)

Campus Resources

Health Care Services, 906-635-2110

Public Safety Department, 906-635-2100

Counseling Services, 906-635-2752

Campus Life and Housing, 906-635-2411

Community Resources

War Memorial Behavioral Health, 906-495-4357

War Memorial Hospital, 906-635-4460

War Memorial Hospital Walk-in Clinic, 906-635-4447

Chippewa County Resources

Alcoholics Anonymous, 906-495-7220

Chippewa County Health Department, 906-635-1566

Diane Peppler Resource Center, 906-635-0566

Great Lakes Recovery Center, 906-632-9809

Hiawatha Behavior Health Crisis Intervention Services, 1-800-839-9443

New Hope Residential Treatment Centers, 906-635-5542

Inspections- Health and Safety

In the interest of maintaining a healthy and safe living environment, all on-campus housing units will be periodically inspected for cleanliness, fire safety equipment, and maintenance issues. Advanced notice may be given prior to each inspection.

Public Safety

The Public Safety Office provides 24-hour service for the convenience of students. The office is located at the west end of the Administration Building. Staff may be reached anytime on campus by dialing x2100. Public Safety staff can also be reached by phone from off campus any time by dialing 906-635-2100.

In case of an extreme emergency, dial 911 or 9-911 from an on-campus phone.

Stolen Property

Violators will be subject to disciplinary and/or legal action that may result in removal from University housing and possible dismissal from Lake Superior State University. All stolen property and accounts of theft should be reported to Public Safety.

Emergency Procedures

Emergency Procedures

Emergency Contact Numbers

LSSU Public Safety Department

(906) 635-2100 or x2100

LSSU Counseling Center (Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm)

(906) 635-2752 or x2752

Health Care Center (Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm)

(906) 635-2110 or x2110



City of Sault Ste. Marie Police

(906) 632-3344

Chippewa County Sheriff’s Department

(906) 635-6355

Michigan State Police (Sault Ste. Marie)

(906) 632-2216

Diane Peppler Shelter 24-Hour Rape Crisis Line

(906) 635-0566

War Memorial Hospital Emergency

(906) 635-4460

War Memorial Behavioral Health

(906) 495-4357

Hiawatha Behavior Health Crisis Intervention Services


Poison Control Hotline


Resident and Community Advisor Duty Phone Numbers

For your convenience the Resident and Community Advisors carry duty phones so that they may easily be reached during non-business hours. Please see below of exact hours.

Brady Hall, Osborn Hall and Student Village Duty Phone Hours:

Sunday – Thursday: 8 pm – 6 am

Friday – Saturday: 10 pm – 6 am

Brady Hall: 906-630-0768

Osborn Hall: 906-630-1142

Student Village: 906-630-0971

Upper Class Area (Apartment, Townhouses, Row Houses) Duty Phone Hours:

Thursday: 8 pm – 6 am

Friday – Saturday: 10 pm – 6 am

Upper Class Area: 906-630-0991

Fire Fighting Equipment and Fire Drill Procedures

Fire alarms, extinguishers and smoke detectors are placed in University housing for your protection against fires. It is against the law (Michigan Comp. Laws Section 16607) to use them for any other purpose. If it is determined that tampering has occurred, disciplinary action will be taken that may include, but may not be limited to, fines, expulsion from housing, etc. Residents discharging a fire extinguisher needlessly, turning on false fire alarms, or tampering with smoke detectors and/or fire alarms will face serious disciplinary action by the University as well as possible action by state and federal officials. A minimum of $50 is assessed. Violations of this nature could result in termination of campus residence and/or expulsion from Lake Superior State University.  When a fire extinguisher has been discharged, please report it immediately to your RA/CA, RHC, custodians, Public Safety, or to the Campus Life and Housing Office.

Fire Drill Evacuations – Public Safety performs periodic fire drills in residential housing throughout the year. At the sound of the fire alarm vacate the room/apartment and the building immediately. Move quietly and orderly out the nearest exit and away from the building at least 50 feet beyond the outside door to the designated meeting area for your building.

The building should not be re-occupied until an authorized all-clear signal is given. You can then re-enter the building. This process is easiest if everyone moves quietly and orderly back through the same door, that they left the building.

For your own safety and that of everyone else in the building, you are required to comply with all fire drills. Anyone not evacuating a building will face disciplinary sanctions consisting of community service or other sanctions as deemed applicable.

Fire Evacuation Locations 

1.  Brady Hall – between Brady Hall and the Administration Building

2.  Osborn Hall – between Osborn Hall and the Campus Shop (Barnes and Noble)

3.  Student Village – North side of Campus Shop (Barnes and Noble) between Arts Center and Campus Shop

4.  Row Houses (Living Learning Communities) – between Kenneth Shouldice Library and Administration Building and/or Northwest corner of F Lot

5.  Neveu Hall – across parking S Lot and Neveu Hall

6.  Moloney Hall – across parking S Lot and Moloney Hall

7.  Townhouses – Southwest corner of parking T Lot

8. Easterday House – Northwest corner of G Lot (not pictured)

Medical Emergencies

If there is an emergency, please call 911 from an off-campus phone or (9-911) from a campus phone. (Off-campus calls from an on-campus phone require you to dial a 9 first.)

Dining on Campus

Food Services

Food Services

The Campus Meal Plan is a comprehensive dining program that combines a computerized meal card system with the added flexibility of dining in many locations throughout campus. All resident students are required to select a meal plan.

Where to Eat on Campus

The following dining options are available on campus:

• The Quarterdeck dining hall

• The Galley (Grill 155, Knots Café, Convenience Store)

• Café in Considine Hall

For hours of operation visit the web at or call x2541.

Quarterdeck Meal Plan Offerings

Traditional 19 Meal Plan — provides you all the 19 meals offered: breakfast, lunch and dinner Monday – Friday, and brunch and dinner on Saturday and Sunday. The 19 meals do not carry over week to week. This plan includes $50 in Laker Bucks per semester.

Platinum Block Plan — provides your choice of any 180 meals throughout the semester. This plan is designed for students who are more likely to eat 12 meals per week and includes $100 in Laker Bucks per semester.

Gold Meal Plan — provides your choice of any 145 meals throughout the semester. This plan is designed for students who are more likely to eat about 10 meals per week and includes $170 in Laker Bucks per semester.

Silver Block Plan — provides your choice of any 120 meals throughout the semester. This plan is designed for students who are more likely to eat about 8 meals per week. This plan includes $220 in Laker Bucks per semester.

Note: Students on the Traditional 19 meal plan may eat once during each meal period and meals are not transferable from one individual to another. Regardless of meal plans, meals do not transfer from one school year to the next. Transfer of meals and Laker Bucks from fall semester to spring semester is only for students on meal plans that allow this option and where a signed Residence Hall/Dining Services Contract is in effect. There are no refunds for unused meals or Laker Bucks. If the Residence Hall/Dining Services Contract is terminated for any reason, all dining rights are forfeited.

How it Works

All resident students are required to select a meal plan prior to the beginning of the semester. A Residence Hall/Dining Services Contract must be completed and returned to the Campus Life and Housing Office.

Your University ID and Meal Plan Card are one and the same. To use your meal plan, present your ID card to the cashier at each meal. If you want to make food purchases with Laker Bucks, simply tell the cashier you are using your Laker Bucks.

Please treat your card carefully to prevent problems when using it. If you lose your card, report the loss immediately to the ID Office so no one else can use it.

To-go meals are available to students when they are unable to attend a meal due to their class schedule, job or an athletic schedule conflict. Simply to Go in the Quarterdeck is set up to meet these needs. Students can come into the Quarterdeck and pick out what they would like to include in their to go meal.   Meals come with a sandwich, a side, a dessert and a beverage.

Sick trays are available to students who are sick and unable to attend a meal. A student’s friend may bring them a meal from the Quarterdeck Dining Hall. To obtain the sick tray, you will need a Sick Tray Form and the sick student’s ID card. Sick Tray Forms are available from the Food Services Office or the Quarterdeck cashier.

Packouts are available to groups of students with six or more who plan to attend a function, such as a picnic or a camping trip. A Packout Form is required three days in advance of the outing. Forms are available in the Food Service Office in the Cisler Center.

Miscellaneous Campus Dining

Dress: Proper attire must be worn in the LSSU dining areas. Shirts and shoes are required at all times.

Communication: Our associates and managers are interested in student comments, so feel free to let us know how we are doing. Communication boards are maintained at all locations for comments or ideas.  Your dining experience may also be shared on the LSSU website at   We encourage you to get to know our associate staff and managers in our dining areas.

A Few Good Points to Remember: We take pride in our clean dining areas and in maintaining a relaxing dining atmosphere – please help us keep it that way. You can enjoy unlimited seconds on all food and beverage items in the Quarterdeck, but we ask that you help minimize waste by taking only the amount you can consume.

To control costs, it is our policy that no food, beverages or dishes leave the dining halls. LSSU dishes found in residence halls will be confiscated and the residents will be charged a fine.

Community and Courtesy

Escort Policy

Escort Policy

Escort hours for Brady Hall and Osborn Hall are 10 pm -10 am on Sunday-Thursday and 12 am -10 am on Friday and Saturday. If you are not a resident of these buildings you must be accompanied by a resident of the building during these hours.

Overnight Guests

Overnight Guests

Roommate(s) must agree to have any overnight guests in the room. Overnight guests may stay in campus housing for up to three consecutive nights within a week in any campus residence hall without charge and without the permission of the Residence Hall Director.

If, due to special circumstances, you would like to have a guest stay longer, you can ask the Residence Hall Director or Director of Campus Life and Housing for permision. See “Visitation Policy” for more detail. Residents are responsible for ensuring that their guest complies with all established rules, regulations and ordinances of the University. If this privilege is abused and/or the Residence Hall policies are violated by guests, privileges will be taken away.

Quiet Hours

Quiet Hours

Quiet hours are intended to promote a pleasant learning environment in the halls in which students can sleep or study when they want. Quiet hours are in effect from 10 pm -10 am, Sunday through Thursday and from 12 am -10 am on Friday and Saturday. Courtesy hours are to be followed during non-quiet hours. Courtesy hours mean that you are respectful of those around you and the noise levels are kept at a respectful level so that everyone feels comfortable.

The Campus Life and Housing Office has developed a quiet wing or tower in Brady, Osborn and the Student Village. The residents assigned to the quiet wing/tower will be expected to live under 24-hour quiet hours.  Neveu Hall is a 24-hour quiet Residence Hall.  All residence halls will observe 24-hour quiet hours during the final exam period each semester.

During quiet hours all residents are requested to refrain from noisy activities and are subject to disciplinary sanctions for violation of the policy.

Room Cleaning

Room Cleaning

In a community-living situation, each resident impacts the health, safety and enjoyment of others in their living space. Therefore, you are responsible for keeping your room reasonably clean. Cleaning equipment and supplies are limited, you may wish to purchase your own.

To ensure a reasonable level of health and safety, all rooms and apartments are inspected periodically by the Campus Life and Housing Office staff.

Roommate Bill of Rights

Roommate Bill of Rights

Your enjoyment of life in a residence hall will depend, to a large extent, on the thoughtful consideration that you have for your roommate(s).

Basic rights of a roommate include:

1.  The right to read and study free from undue interference in your room. Unreasonable      noise and other distractions can keep you from enjoying this right.

2.  The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests of your roommate, etc.

3.  The right to expect that a roommate will respect your personal belongings.

4.  The right to a clean environment in which to live.

5.  The right to free access to your room and facilities without pressure from a roommate.

6.  The right to personal privacy.

7.  The right to host guests, with the expectation that guests are to respect the rights of    your roommate and other hall residents.

8.  The right for redress of grievances. Residence hall staff are available for assistance in    settling conflicts.

9.  The right to be free from fear of intimidation, physical and/or emotional harm.

10.The right to expect reasonable cooperation in the use of the room telephone and a       commitment to honor agreed payment procedures.

Remember: To be a mature adult is to accept responsibility for the welfare of others. Only you can assure that your roommate enjoys these rights.

All residents will be required to complete and sign a roommate agreement form with their roommates stating that they will abide by the Roommate Bill of Rights.

Tips for Adapting to University Life and Getting to Know Your Roommate

COMMUNICATION with your roommate and others is essential. Getting to know your roommate(s) and other new Lakers is important; where they grew up, what their interests are, etc. are all part of a successful relationship.

TRUST in your new relationships. As you become more acquainted with LSSU, you will become more relaxed and confident in yourself and your relationships with others. Trust means taking risks, which is something you will frequently do while at LSSU and for the rest of your life.

CARE about your new environment and relationships here at LSSU. The friendships and bonds that you make in college will last a lifetime. The impressions that faculty, staff and new friendships make on you are ones that you will look back on fondly long after your days at LSSU are complete.

Take PRIDE in your new home. Your new friends and your new role on campus. Be involved, enjoy the moment and study.

RESPECT your roommate(s), friends and your environment.

Take RESPONSIBILITY for your actions. In order to be a successful student at LSSU, you need to go to class, be involved, and study. College is a privilege and an opportunity that not everyone has. You are here to grow, and learn and earn a degree.

The key to getting to know your new roommate(s) is communication. You can’t discover who he or she is unless you take the time to find out. We suggest you take some time right after you both move in to sit down and find out about one another. Two strangers placed together may not always get along, and it’s not required that you become best friends. However, it is essential that you respect each other and try to get along. Below are some tips on how to work through problems with your roommate:

o Communication is the key. Talk to each other, and tell your roommate when you are     upset about something your roommate did or did not do.

o  Be tactful when sharing your feelings with your roommate.

o  Be a good listener. Try to see your roommate’s point of view.

o  Control your emotions.

o  Discuss little problems as they arise to prevent them from escalating into bigger       conflicts.

o  Be assertive in asking for what you want or need, but don’t be aggressive.

o  If you need a mediator or help resolving a conflict, contact your RA/CA.

Finally, take time to fill out your roommate agreement form. Sitting down and discussing these details with your roommate(s) at the beginning of the year will help everybody have a better understanding of the living expectations for the school year. Remember, this form can be revisited and adjusted at any time throughout the year to create a better living environment and supportive network of friends.

Getting Involved on Campus

10 Ways to Get Involved on Campus

10 Ways to Get Involved on Campus

Getting involved on campus will help make your college experience more fun and rewarding. After all, what you get out of college is only as much as you put in.

1.  Join a Club or Organization – LSSU has over 60 clubs and organizations here on campus. From academic organizations to special interest groups, getting involved is a great way to meet people and build your resume.

2.  Volunteer – Giving back to the community can broaden your horizons and give you a sense of pride. You can gain valuable work experience and build new skills to put on your resume. It’s also a great way to meet new people and become familiar with the area surrounding campus. For more information about volunteering you can visit Volunteer Center in the Student Organization Center.

3.  Join a Fraternity or Sorority – Going Greek is a great way to join a large and supportive network of friends. These groups also provide the opportunity to get involved in philanthropy and campus activities throughout the year.

4. Attend Campus Events – Attending events hosted on campus is a great way to take a study break. You’ll meet new people and might even participate in activities that you may have otherwise ignored.

5.  Participate in Student Government – Student Government is the unified voice of the student assembly that strives to serve the students and better the University. Participating in Student Government is a great way to get involved in a leadership experience.

6.  Join an Intramural/Club Sports Team – Anyone can be part of a team at LSSU. Joining an intramural/Club sports team is a great way to meet new people, stay in shape and have fun. Stop by the Student Activities Center in the Norris Center to sign up.

7.  Attend Performances and Presentations – Throughout the year campus will host a variety of special performers and speakers for the campus community. This is a great way to meet new people who share the same common interest.

8.  Find an On-Campus Job – Finding a job on campus can be a great way to make money and learn about the campus community. Not only will you learn about the different services that the University has to offer, but it’s a great way to make new connections.

9.  Mingle – Mingling with other people on campus is one of the best ways to get involved. You’ll meet new people, find out about upcoming events, and learn more about LSSU.

10.  Network with Faculty and Staff – It’s never too early to start networking with the people who work at the University.  Talk to your professors, advisors, and other professionals on campus.  Find out when their office hours are and stop by to get to know them.

Time Management

Time Management

Many students discover the need to develop their time management skills when they arrive at college. Unlike high school where teachers frequently structured your assignments and classes filled your day, in college you will have less in-class time, more outside of class work and a great deal of freedom and flexibility.

The place to start is by making a master schedule that will help you organize your activities. Use your master schedule to create a detailed weekly schedule that includes specific times for class, work, studying certain subjects, organization meetings, etc. The schedule shown below is a good example of a weekly schedule.

Good time management skills will give you control of your time and your life. The key is to start now. Remember, time management might be a new skill for you. The more you manage your time, the easier this habit will become. If you try to organize your time and you find you are having difficulties, stop by the Learning Center for more time management strategies and support.