Reverse Transfer

What is “reverse transfer”?

The “reverse transfer agreement” creates a process whereby students who transfer from a community college to a university can be awarded a community college associate’s degree with the help of credits earned at the university.

Community colleges offer a number of associate’s degree programs that encompass the basic courses for a bachelor’s degree at a four-year college or university. Some community college students are well on their way to earning an associate’s degree when they transfer to a university. The reverse transfer agreement provides a way for transfer students to receive an associate’s degree when the necessary requirements are met so as to more fully represent their academic success.

“It’s important that all students who enter the university system receive the degrees they’ve earned, whether it’s at the university or the community college,” said LSSU Provost Morrie Walworth. “We’re happy to be able to work with our community college partners to ensure that credits earned at LSSU can be used (transferred back) to provide students with their well-deserved associate’s degrees and to have those degrees awarded by the community college.”

For more information see our news releases on the topic: and

Presidents signing reverse transfer agreement

Presidents of five colleges and universities in Northern Michigan signed an agreement that will streamline degree-granting for community college students who go on to earn more credits at a four-year college or university. Pictured here signing the “reverse transfer” agreement are, l-r, Dr. Cameron Brunet-Koch, president of North Central Michigan College; Dr. Thomas Quinn, president of Kirtland Community College; Dr. Tony McLain, president of LSSU; Dr. David Eisler, president of Ferris State University; and Dr. Olin Joynton, president of Alpena Community College. (Photo courtesy of NCMC)

How do I get Started?

Students may be able to use credits earned at the University to fulfill outstanding associate degree requirements at their previous community college. Eligibility will depend on the residency and program requirements at the community college and students are encouraged to contact their academic advisor for more information, or the contact listed below. To request an LSSU transcript be sent to the community college, please click on the community college link below.

Alpena Community College

Lori Dziesinski, Registrar
665 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707
Phone: 989-358-7353

Reverse Transcript Request

Bay de Noc Community College

Rebecca Landenberger, Degree Completion Specialist
2001 North Lincoln Road
Escanaba, MI 49829
Phone: 906-217-4266

Reverse Transcript Request

Bay Mills Community College

Sherri Schofield, Registrar
12214 W Lakeshore Drive
Brimley, MI 49715

Reverse Transcript Request

Delta College

Terri Gould, Registrar
1961 Delta Road
University Center, MI 48710
Phone: 989-686-9305

Reverse Transcript Request

Gogebic Community College

Jeanne Graham
Dean of Student Services
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938

Reverse Transcript Request

Kalamazoo Valley Community College

Sarah Hubbell, Registrar
PO Box 4070
6767 West O Avenue
Kalamazoo, MI 49003
Phone: 269-488-4281

Reverse Transcript Request

Kirtland Community College

Renae Klee, Associate Registrar
10775 N St. Helen Road
Roscommon, MI 48653
Phone: 989-275-5000, ext. 291

Reverse Transcript Request

North Central Michigan College

Joseph Balinski, Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar
1515 Howard Street
Petoskey, MI 49770
Phone: 231-439-6347

Reverse Transcript Request

Northwestern Michigan College

Sheila Rupp, Registrar
1701 E Front Street
Traverse City, MI 49686
Phone: 231-995-1058

Reverse Transcript Request

West Shore Community College

Jill Sweet, Director of Advising and Registrar
3000 N Stiles Road
Scottville, MI 49454
Phone: 231-843-5918

Reverse Transcript Request