Find Materials and Resources
LSSU Library’s collection consists of over 130,000 volumes and over 120 databases which give students, faculty and staff access to full text journal and periodical articles, as well as DVDs, microforms and over 200,000 ebooks.
Looking for something in particular? We’ve broken it all down for you below:
Books, DVDs, print journals
Search the library’s catalog, WebVoyage, to find physical books, DVDs and print journals we have here in the library.
Databases for articles and other resources
Journals by title
Have a citation and want to know if LSSU Library carries that journal/issue? Use this search to look up the journal by title or ISSN, and then see if we carry it and if so, what issues and where you’ll find them.
LSSU Library is a Federal Depository Library, which means that you can access publications and other resources from the United States Federal Government from within our library:
Our Special Collections hold historical items from books to photos to newspaper clippings and other items. Learn more on our Special Collections page, or use this search box to search just through our Special Collections holdings:
Search Special Collections
While we love a good print book, our eBook collection is significant, and the great thing about eBooks is they can accessed even when the Library is closed! Here are some of the places you can browse or search through our ebooks:
Our OneSearch box on our home page will also search through our ebook resources — simply select to search “Books” and when your initial results appear, adjust the Format facet so that it includes only eBooks by unchecking the others.
Has your professor put an item on Course Reserves for your class? You can check here!
Items from other libraries
If LSSU Library doesn’t have what you need, here are some options:
- Bayliss Public Library, our local public library in Sault Ste. Marie, has a great collection of popular fiction for adults and teens, children’s books, and DVDs. You can search their online catalog to see if they have an item that you need.
They also offer access to Ancestry Library Edition (in library use only), Digital Sanborn Maps, and a significant local history collection in their Judge Joseph H. Steere Room.
Did you know that your LSSU ID can act as a library card at Bayliss Public Library? Visit us at the Circulation Desk to make it happen!
- MeLCat a service of the state-wide Michigan Electronic Library, in which over 400 public and academic libraries across the state participate. Search the MeLCat catalog to find materials that you can borrow from other libraries; items borrowed from other MeL libraries will be delivered to the LSSU Library and you can pick them up from the Circulation Desk once you’ve been notified that they’ve arrived.
- Interlibrary Loan (ILL): If you need an article from a journal that LSSU Library does not have in our collection, or a book that neither we nor any of the MeLCat libraries have, you can request that item through ILL. Learn more on our ILL page.
Other online resources
- Academic Video Online (AVON) – This online streaming content database features over 68,000 videos across a variety of disciplines, as well as audio and text files.
- International Newsstream – ProQuest International Newsstream provides information from more than 660 of the world’s top newspapers, including The Times (London), The Bangkok Post, El Norte, Financial Times, The Guardian, Jerusalem Post, South China Morning Post, The Daily Telegraph, Asian Wall Street Journal, and the BBC Monitoring series of publications.
- Learning Express Library – Test Prep/Jobs Skills/Career Resources. Seven interactive learning centers of academic and licensing/certification practice tests, elementary level testing for math and reading, and skills building tools, including MS Office productivity and Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials.
- Newspaper Source Plus – “Includes millions of articles from newspapers, newswires, and news magazines. Offers television and radio transcripts and ongoing daily updates from popular news sources. Primary full coverage newspapers are The Washington Post and USA Today.”
- US Newsstream – “For academic and public libraries, US Newsstream offers exclusive access to the Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, and co-exclusive access (with Factiva) to The Wall Street Journal. US Newsstream also offers one of the largest collections of local and regional newspapers, and is cross-searchable on the ProQuest platform.”
Still need help? Ask a Librarian!
Interim Director of Marketing and Web Accessibility Coordinator
Cisler Center 125
Director of Library/Academic Services and Web Accessibility Coordinator
Accessibility Services Coordinator
Lake Superior State University is committed to making reasonable accommodations related to its facilities, programs, or services for qualifying students, staff, faculty, and campus guests with disabilities as required by applicable laws. If any programming or activity is scheduled in an inaccessible space, requests for relocation shall be made to the Human Resources office at 906-635-2213, if possible, 48 hrs prior to the event. View Accessibility Statement Details