MeLCat: Self-serve ILL
LSSU Library participates in MeLCat’s interlibrary loan service, which allows you to borrow books and other media from over 400 participating academic, public, and school libraries in Michigan. Borrowing physical items through MeLCat is often quicker than through our main ILL service, so if you’re looking for a particular book, DVD or other non-digital item, check MeLCat first.
Need more help? Watch this MeLCat video tutorial.
- Before requesting a journal article through ILL, please use our “Search by Journal Title for Full-Text Articles” service to verify that the article you want is NOT available through any of our other research databases.
- When filling out the request form, complete all fields and use the 14 digit barcode number from the front of your LSSU ID card for the ID number field. (Students without LSSU IDs should use 0001 as the ID number.)
- Be sure to include all information requested, writing carefully and legibly.
- Do not abbreviate titles of books journals or words in an article title. Incomplete or inaccurate information may result in delays in processing your requests!
- Students may request up to 15 items per week.
- ILL is free for LSSU students, faculty and staff in most cases. Community patrons should submit their ILL requests through their local public library.
- The Library will inform patrons by email when their ILL requests are received. Patrons without email or a local phone number should check periodically at the Circulation Desk, either in person or by phone (906-635-2815).
- Physical materials will be held for pickup behind the Circulation Desk at LSSU Library; electronic materials are delivered to the patron’s email address.
- Physical items can be returned to the Circulation Desk, or dropped into the library’s outdoor Book Depository slot to the left of the library’s main entrance.
Although the ILL Department works quickly to process orders, receipt of ILL materials is dependent on the response time from the lending library, the mail, etc. Orders may be filled in as short a time as a few days, but may take up to two weeks.
Kenneth J. Shouldice Library – ILL
Lake Superior State University
906 Ryan St.
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
For questions regarding Library services to regional center students, ILL materials requested, how to obtain copies of the regional center off-campus book and periodical request forms, Call: 906-635-2879, FAX: 906-635-2193 or email: