Emergency Financial Aid
The Emergency Fund process is a university wide initiative coordinated by the Financial Aid Office in close collaboration with the Foundation Office. This process is created to help students with financial assistance in a time of need. This fund is intended to be a supplemental financial resource when students are unable to meet immediate and essential expenses due to unexpected, unforeseen, and unavoidable circumstances.
The spirit of this funding is primarily to support emergency circumstances. The goals is to help prevent one emergency or unexpected expense from jeopardizing a student’s academic journey. The number of students who can be served by the Student Emergency Fund is subject to the availability of funds. Funding is awarded on a case by case basis, and factors that are considered include the students financial need, the nature of the funding request, and the availability of funding at the time the request is made. The Financial Aid Office will review all applications but may not be able to fulfill all requests.
Students should review the requirements listed below before submitted an application.
- Student must currently be taking classes at Lake Superior State University.
- Students must be in good academic standing.
- Student must have exhausted all other forms of available aid.
- Student must submit completed application.
- Student must demonstrate a temporary financial hardship
Expenses covered include, but are not limited to:
- Housing and Utilities
- Course materials
Expenses NOT covered at all include but are not limited to:
- Costs of entertainment, recreation, personal, or non-emergency travel expenses
- Outstanding personal debt, including credit card debt
- Non-essential bills
Students in need of emergency financial assistance can apply by completed the application below. The Financial Aid Office may request additional documentation to support the request. Please allow 7-10 business days for processing.