Incoming Student Scholarships
Foundation & Departmental Scholarship Opportunities
Incoming Students: Open NOW through April 15th, 2020
To be considered, you must complete the “Incoming Student Application”. Some scholarships will also require you to complete the “Incoming Student Essay Application”
Lake Superior State University has hundreds of scholarship opportunities available. Opportunities can be a combination of general scholarships (open to all students) and departmental scholarships (restricted to students within a specific major or field of study). Designed with simplicity and the student in mind, as an admitted or enrolled student at LSSU you will have access to Scholarship Universe, an online scholarship matching software. After answering a series of questions, you’ll be able to see which scholarships you’re eligible for on the national, local, and even institutional levels. Throughout your education you’ll be able to find new scholarships and be notified if you are eligible for new opportunities as they become available.
What is Scholarship Universe?
Scholarship Universe is a state of the art scholarship matching system that maximizes opportunities for students and was developed to help students connect to as many relevant and legitimate scholarship opportunities as possible, both from outside and within the university—all in one mobile friendly site. Scholarship Universe allows students to create an academic profile that enables them to be connected with various scholarship opportunities from outside scholarship organizations as well as within Lake Superior State University.
How do I use this service as a student?
- Click here to login to Scholarship Universe.
- Enter your My.LSSU username and password to login.
- Answer ALL new questions by clicking the gray bar that says “You still have outstanding questions…” and review all previously answered questions if you haven’t done so in a while. This step may take ten to twenty minutes if you’ve never created a profile before. Your answers are used to match you to LSSU and non-LSSU scholarships you are eligible to apply for year round.
- Click on the “Scholarships” tab and start applying!
What is External vs LSSU scholarships?
External scholarships are available through organizations outside of LSSU. These are private scholarships that you are matched to and are encouraged to apply. All external scholarships have been vetted by a team of experts and are considered legitimate scholarship opportunities for our students. If you choose to apply for external scholarships that are you matched to, you will be redirected to their website to complete the application process.
LSSU and Departmental scholarships are listed as Financial Aid or under the College the scholarship falls within. For example, Nursing scholarships are listed as LSSU College of Health & Behavior under Organization. LSSU scholarships that are available will always be sorted first within the scholarship tab.
What should you know about Scholarship Universe?
- Only admitted and currently enrolled students have access to the software.
- Be sure to update your profile frequently. Information such as GPA, number of credits taken, class standing, etc. will affect to which scholarships you are matched.
- We do not share your information. All data collected will be used strictly for matching you to scholarships and, eventually, to LSSU departments to select recipients for their scholarships.
- Parents cannot login to Scholarship Universe but are encouraged to help students with obtaining required documents for the scholarship application process.
If you need assistance, please contact the LSSU Financial Aid Office at .
ALWAYS WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER.
Scholarship donors are generous people who give to support the educational endeavors of students like you. Receiving a well written thank you letter from a student is always special and lets the donor know that his or her scholarship was greatly appreciated. We encourage you to take the time to express your gratitude and remind them why students appreciate their gifts!
LSSU Scholarship Renewal Requirements
Congratulations on receiving a Lake Superior State University scholarship. If your scholarship was offered to you as a “renewable” award, it is important that you have met the criteria listed below each spring when your eligibility is reviewed for the next year.
General renewal requirements include:
- Board of Trustees Freshman merit scholarship: 2.75 LSSU cumulative GPA
- Full-Tuition Scholarships: 3.00 LSSU cumulative GPA
- Full-time enrollment each semester; must earn 24 LSSU credits each academic year.
- Awarded up to 8 consecutive semesters or until 1st Bachelor’s Degree is earned, whichever is first. Students in their teaching internship semester may be eligible to receive a 9th semester renewal.
- Awarded for Fall and Spring semesters only, not available for use in summer semesters.
- To receive the on-campus component of any scholarship, you must be in the on-campus housing program for the semester. If you leave on-campus housing, the room and board award will be terminated.
NOTE: Scholarships and other institutional funds provided as grants or scholarships or stipends for campus R&B students, will not exceed the basic rate cost of housing and board. This includes RA Grant, LSSU Supplemental Grant, the LSSU Housing Grant and all room and board components of Board of Trustees scholarships.
- Students at LSSU Regional Centers and meet consortium agreement requirements, if enrolled at least half-time (6+ credits) at LSSU, may use a semester of eligibility at a prorated amount.
- Must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress policy requirements.
- Formula to determine the maximum number of semesters of eligibility:
- Senior (88+ credits) = Two semesters of eligibility
- Junior (56-87 credits) = Four semesters of eligibility
- Freshman/Sophomore (12-55 credits) = Six semesters of eligibility
- Length is based on number of ATTEMPTED credits prior to LSSU
Note: Some types of financial aid awards, such as an employee rebate, the Native American Tuition Waiver, or the Tuition Incentive Program, could affect your eligibility for an LSSU scholarship. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for further details.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Full tuition scholarships are limited to 12-17 credits per semester for the academic year and do NOT include any special course fees, program fees, media fees, etc.
- Full tuition scholarships can not be combined with tuition waivers, such as Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver or Employee Rebates.
- Recipients of donor-funded scholarships are encouraged to write thank you letters to the donors and may be invited to special donor events.
- Departmental scholarship recipients must notify the Financial Aid Office if changing their major course of study to determine the affect on their award!
Scholarship Policy And Award Guidelines
- To be considered for most scholarships as a CURRENT student, you must have earned at least 26 LSSU credits, but not attempted more than 124 (including transfer credits) prior to the semester.
- New student eligibility review will include high school GPA and/or ACT/SAT scores.
- Unless otherwise stated, a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required for all scholarships.
- Full-time enrollment (12 or more credits at LSSU per semester) is required for most scholarships. Exception: Students at LSSU Regional Centers that meet consortium agreement requirements, if enrolled at least half-time (6+ credits) at LSSU, may use a semester of eligibility at a prorated amount.
- New scholarships may upgrade or replace a current LSSU awards. Determination will be made on a case-by-case basis situation.
- LSSU policy prohibits the award of LSSU scholarship funds beyond the cost of tuition.
- Scholarships and other institutional funds provided as grants or scholarships or stipends for campus R&B students, will not exceed the basic rate cost of housing and board. This includes RA Grant, LSSU Supplemental Grant, the LSSU Housing Grant and all room and board components of Board of Trustees scholarships.
- Full tuition scholarships are awarded for 12-15 credits per semester and do NOT include any fees. Full tuition scholarships will not be awarded to students who receive waivers of tuition.
- Renewable scholarships will not exceed four years or 8 semesters.
- Scholarships offered to students in specific majors will be withdrawn if the student changes majors or fails to earn credits toward the appropriate major.
- A written Thanking Your Donor Letter to the donor is required for all recipients.
Additional Scholarship Resource Information
Free Scholarship Search Tools
- www.finaid.org : A comprehensive student oriented site with a large bibliography of resources, and links to at least three FREEscholarship searches
- www.michigan.gov/mistudentaid : MI-Cashe; a Michigan scholarship search program
- www.fastweb.com : Fastweb – Internet’s largest free Financial Aid and Scholarship search for U.S. colleges and Universities.
- www.collegequest.com : College Quest – How to find the right college for you with free scholarship search.
- www.collegeboard.org : College Board