Direct Loan Exit Counseling
Exit counseling explains the basic facts about the repayment of your Federal Direct Loan(s) along with your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. Other important topics such as deferment, consolidation, and default are discussed. This information will help you to manage the repayment of your student loan debt and to avoid any difficulties that could adversely affect your credit rating or your eligibility for student loans and other aid in the future.
Federal regulations require all students who have received Federal Direct Loans (subsidized and/or unsubsidized) to complete Exit Counseling for the following reasons:
- Student has graduated.
- Student is attending less than half-time. (Enrolled in less than 6 credits.)
- Student withdraws from the University.
- Student is not returning to LSSU after his/her current semester ends.
Steps to complete Exit Counseling:
- Go to https://studentaid.gov/
- Log In using your FSA username and Password.
- Click on I’m in Repayment drop down.
- Click on Complete Exit Counseling.
- Click on Start.
- Select School information and then click continue.
- Read through the information in order to answer the questions.
- Once completed, the indicated school(s) will receive confirmation of completion.
CAUTION: Consolidation of Federal Student Loans with any private loans will convert the Federal Student Loans to private loans. You will lose all Federal deferment, forbearance, and forgiveness options.
If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at (906) 635-2678 or by fax at (906) 635-6669.