Instructions for Procedure and Procession
Saturday, April 30, 2016, 11 a.m. at the Norris Center.
Coffee, juice and assorted breads, etc. will be available in the Norris Center lobby from 9-10:30 a.m. Weather permitting, coffee will be served outside the main entrance. Shuttles will be available beginning at 9:30 a.m. to shuttle people from the main campus to the Norris Center and after Commencement ends to bring them back to various parking lots as needed.
Candidates for graduation assemble in the Cooper Gym at 10:30 a.m. Line up in the order of march as indicated by the number on the name card available at the check-in table.
Note: Graduates will walk up the east side of the platform and cross over to the west. Photograhpers from Grad Images will be on hand, and will take a photo of your approach to the platform, as you receive your diploma cover, and as you depart from the down ramp. Live streaming will also be available via internet for those who are unable to attend.
Faculty assemble in north end of gym at 10:30 a.m. in a double line by rank (full professor, associate, assistant, instructor, adjunct, emeriti, and then administrative).
Order of Procession (we will start promptly at 11 a.m.)
- Faculty — The commencement marshal will lead the faculty to ice arena to form receiving aisle.
- Graduates — They will lead the academic procession, entering the ice arena as practiced. Once you arrive at your seat, remain standing.
- Faculty — Follow the bagpipers up the center aisle, entering the designated faculty seating area as indicated on the map. Please remain standing.
- Platform Party — Please line up as directed on platform seating chart. Your group follows the faculty. A commencement program with your name on it will be on your assigned chair.
- Cap, Gown and Attire — The wearing of the cap is an essential part of the academic exercises. Men should remove caps during the national anthems. Women wear their caps throughout the exercise. The tassel should be worn right front prior to the conferral of degrees. At the time of conferral of degrees, in unison, the tassel will be moved to the left front side. Women should not wear or carry flowers or wear conspicuous jewelry. Master's carry their hoods. They will be hooded on the platform.
- Graduates — When proceeding to the platform, present your name card to the reader, pause for a brief moment, then advance to center of the platform to receive your diploma cover. Depart the platform at right and return to your seat by going behind the faculty seating area.
At the conclusion of the ceremony, the Honor Drummers will begin playing at which point the recessional will start, taking place in the following order:
- Platform Party
Platform party and faculty file to starting area. Graduates will file to the gym. DO NOT STOP IN THE LOBBY AREA. Please walk all the way towards the back of the gym
A reception for the Distinguised Teacher immediately follows in the Crow’s Nest of the Cisler Student and Conference Center.