Disability Services - Mission Statement
(DS) and the Ability Center for Exceptional Students' (ACES)
goal is to collaborate with students to identify, reduce, or eliminate
barriers to obtaining education within the most integrated settings possible.
pursuit of its mission we will:
- Help students develop self-advocacy, empowerment,
responsibility, independence, personal growth, and develop and use compensatory
- Assure that services LSSU provides to students with
disabilities are in compliance with legal mandates.
- Provide timely, efficient, and equitable accommodations
- Promote awareness of services and accommodations available
through DS to students, prospective students, community, and LSSU: by
contacting incoming freshman and transfer students; by presenting informational
workshops; by providing informational materials.
- Maintain academic integrity of LSSU degrees: by monitoring
substitutions and accommodations made for students with disabilities;
by assuring substitutions and accommodations are being used responsibly.
- Act as liaison between students, faculty, staff, and
others by assisting in negotiation of accommodations, promoting effective
educational experiences, and providing services to enable students to
have equal access to LSSU.
- Educate community, faculty, staff, and students about
disabilities and prepare each to make use of feedback regarding the
quality of educational accommodations each provides.
- Ensure appropriate documentation indicating the specific
accommodations is provided by each student.
- Keep current regarding trends and issues related to
disabilities and inform relevant faculty and staff.
- Refer students to appropriate organizations when necessary.
The Americans with Disabilities
Act and Section 504 guarantee equal access, not success; success
is up to you.
Alternative formats of this web page are
available upon request.