The Fine Arts Major is for students who have wide-ranging interests in fine arts, and who wish to explore and express their potential by following a personalized course of study. As a Fine Arts student, you will invariably participate in a broad range of courses, but you will select two main areas of focus.
Lake Superior State University student dancers strike poses as the Evil Queen - Susan Drockton - and Cheshire Cat - Kayla Price - from Alice in Wonderland. LSSU Psychology/dance senior Katherine Drockton have rewritten that story, plus Little Red Riding Hood and Rumpelstiltskin, into an LSSU Dance Company original production of Fractured Fairy Tales.
B.A. Fine Arts Studies
- Arts Management Concentration
- Dance Concentration
- Theatre Concentration
- Visual Arts Concentration
- Web Design and Management Concentration
- Writing Concentration
Theatre students Mary Ellis, left, and Courtney Buzzel present a play written by Prof. Mary McMyne’s performance writing class. Daisy Fentiman, Audrey Hutchison, and Mary Giermann prepared the 10-minute play, entitled Wine Cellar, for Prof. Jennifer Hunter’s Acting I class to perform during a joint session in the Arts Center’s Black Box Theatre on Oct. 30. All told, students from LSSU’s theater and writing programs collaborated on three short pieces for the inaugural effort.
LSSU Theatre Department presents several mainstage shows directed by Professor Jennifer Hunter throughout the year. In addition, family-friendly improv comedy provides laughs once a month. Finally, the department presents a reading series and completely original material written, directed, and starring the students in Stage 24. Take a look at our past productions!
This degree will prepare you for further studies in professional schools specializing in fine arts training; for employment in the rapidly expanding arts, entertainment and communication industries; or to apply your enhanced talents as working artists.
- Fine Arts Professional - Prepares you for working as a managing director of a department of music, arts, theater or performance.
- Teacher of Fine Arts - Develops courses, maintains studios and supplies, teaches in elementary or secondary education fields or community theaters.
- Arts Entrepreneur - Performs as a musician; is active in the performing arts and theater; and creates and sells crafts and paintings.
- Arts Organization Staff - Plans, designs and implements programs and services; assists with administering programs, cultural events and art galleries.
- Marketing/Design - Works on publications, displays, annual exhibitions, educational programs, craft fairs, galleries, museums and sales.
Lake Superior State University art professor Lloyd Eddy stands with Elements of Detroit, a study of his home town in acrylic on panel, one of several featured through February in the LSSU Arts Center gallery. The gallery, located just inside the center's main entrance, is open Tues.-Fri., noon - 4 p.m. Eddy joined LSSU as an assistant professor of arts and humanities in this past fall. He holds a bachelor of fine arts degree from Siena Heights University as well as a master of fine arts from the prestigious Cranbrook Academy of Art. Eddy has been teaching college art, painting, drawing, design, foundations, figure drawing, humanities, and other courses for almost twelve years. He is a practicing fine artist and has exhibited nationally.